Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Eze Dope (Read 6761 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Eze Dope
Reply #18 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from Tissue Tips and Tricks [move by] Sky9pilot.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Walmart carries Hallmark tissue as well....you might check their supplies for various colors.
Tom

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Hi Paul - Yes it is domestic and is Hallmark tissue. I have tried others from the Dollar Store but they were a bit delicate for my method and the consistency is all over the map but Hallmark is very consistent in quality. For some reason Hallmark is available in many colors except yellow and it only comes four sheets to a package with several other colors, at least in the Wallmart store near me.
Mike
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:20am by New Builder »  

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

shipwreck
4 Star Member

Navy Vet

Reply #15 - Mar 9th, 2019 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Mike
Are you using domestic tissue?
Paul

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I use EZE Dope only and have no trouble with brushing it on. The fairly standard dilution of 30%/70% (dope/water) is about the best. My technique of using a brush varies quite a lot from most ideas about brushing. Most people hold the brush in a very upright manner and that pushes down on the tissue and risks a hole in the damp tissue. The picture is of the wing for my Mr. Mulligan from the Comet Cookup. I decided to recover it but was disappointed with the rather crude building technique I used so rebuilt and covered it. Covering is Hallmark tissue attached with UHU Clear glue stick and shrunk with water. The coating is one coat of EZE Dope and absolutely no mottling, puddling or runs. The pictures show the wing and the angle I use to hold the brush. The brush is an artists brush and called a mop. It is very soft and holds quite a lot of liquid. Dip only the tip into the dope, drain it slightly on the edge of the jar and drag it along the length of the item. Don't stop during the application as that will cause puddling and make sure there are no bare spots as they will show up when least expected and do not touch the area when done as this will definitely cause problems. I clean my brush in water and dish soap and have never had a problem with accumulated dry dope. I also comb out the bristles (probably a bit of OCD here but my workshop brushes are a good as new also) so they dry straight and stand the brush upright to dry.
Mike

( 76 KB | 155 Downloads )
DSC06931.jpg
( 80 KB | 124 Downloads )
DSC06930.jpg
( 81 KB | 227 Downloads )
DSC06929.jpg
( 80 KB | 139 Downloads )
DSC06928.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

shipwreck
4 Star Member

Navy Vet

Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
I have been having some good luck with the EzeDope. Three light coats with a brush 40% EzeDope to 60% water. I have been pretty shrinking on a frame before applying to my light weight frames.
Paul

( 110 KB | 131 Downloads )
IMG_20190307_205227-1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

Neoflight
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up, Staubkorb. I've never used EzeDope but have given it a thought to try. Your experience cinches it for me. My airbrush is already very sensitive to water based acrylics. Eze won't be used.

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I ruined my cheapo airbrush using that gunk, even tho I immediately cleaned it (siphon-feed single action from REVELL).  The stuff dries ever so slightly in the time that one lets up on the spraying that it eventually clogs (if you get that far).  After one finishes "cleaning", the bit that has dried is not visible and is nearly impossible to remove - even acetone didn't help mine, plus plastic doesn't mix well with acetone.

YMMV...

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
I haven't tried airbrushing EzeDope...I'm a bit lazy and don't want to tear down the brush to clean the Ezedope completely out of the brush.  With the acrylics I'm able to clean with several douses of Windex through the brush into the cleaning bottle, made from an old 2 liter soda bottle.  Allows cleaning and eliminates over spray while cleaning.  That's another subject. 

You might try cutting another grey tissue pattern and apply it to the area.  Save masking for the airbrush and spraying the grey. 
Tom
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2018 at 1:33pm by Sky9pilot »  

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 10:37am
Print Post  
I'll try that. I was quite concerned about poking thru the tissue when applying the thinned EZDope and consequently probably slopped it on too much. Maybe airbrushing is the better idea.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Gotta go thinner mix...at least 70/30 water/EzeDope and can't apply too heavily on each coat.  I believe the cause of the white spot is a bit of pooling of the application as it dries. Almost have to use a very dry brush or foam brush on application in my experience.
Tom

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2018 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Has the mottled appearance in the EZDope finish been solved yet? I've read the suggested links and see the same whitish blemishes in my Loire46 wing. I use a 50/50 water mix, stirred not shaken, and brushed on. Haven't tried airbrushing yet.

I like the overall qualities of EZDope but have seen these blemishes before and would like to avoid them, if possible.

( 196 KB | 175 Downloads )
ezdope1.jpg

IP Logged

shipwreck
4 Star Member

Navy Vet

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2018 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks Tom

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
couple of links listed below.  One goes to the tissue and finish board and the other goes to the Rutango build of Pete and Myself in the Any Twin Cookup... Here's a link to that referrence, you'll need to read a page or two to find all the details of the EzeDope.  Dilution formulas... I've settled on 70/30  water/EzeDope.  For brushing or spraying.  Even the second coat wrinkles the tissue but as it dries it shrinks back again.  Click Here
sky9pilot/Tom

IP Logged

shipwreck
4 Star Member

Navy Vet

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks i will check it out.
Paul
were would i find that?  Roll Eyes