Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NOSE REPAIR - SIG "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan (Read 1624 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: NOSE REPAIR - SIG "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
We live and we learn...
The old saying, "We start out with two bags; one is empty, called experience; the other is full, called luck. The idea is to fill the empty bag before we empty the full bag!"

Nice repair!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 4:53am
Print Post  
5219     The pic shows the clamping plates in position, and holding tight, the glued up support plate.  I was able to get the jaws of two strong clamps inside the fuse opening to hold everything together.  All glued up and clamped in place.

5220     I then used a couple of notch sanders to make notches to hold the three 1/16" sq forward fuse bottom stringers that were busted up and removed.  One of the three stringers is in place.

5225     New tissue is covered over all the damaged area - back ready to fly!!

( 158 KB | 78 Downloads )
IM005219_1024x768.jpg
( 145 KB | 68 Downloads )
IM005220_1024x768.jpg
( 188 KB | 84 Downloads )
IM005225_1024x768.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 4:45am
Print Post  
5218     I was able to double white glue that chunk of balsa, that was ripped out from the bottom of the forward fuse former, right back into its spot ( it slid right back in - press fit! ).  I then made a 1/16" thick, slightly smaller, 3/4  size support plate (with the rectangular cutout for the nose block), to glue in behind that forward fuse former bulkhead for additional strengthening.  The pic shows the support plate (with inked lines), sitting in position inside the front fuse former.  I also made two clamping plates (either side of the fuse) - one for the front of the fuse, and one for inside the fuse, to hold the support plate in place while the glue dries.

( 170 KB | 63 Downloads )
IM005218_1024x768.jpg

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

NOSE REPAIR - SIG "CABINAIRE" 22" wingspan
Jul 10th, 2017 at 4:33am
Print Post  
     I just tried using bigger rubber and I reduced the number of rubber strands, on my 22" Cabinaire, with great results. Instead of 4 strands of 1/8" rubber, each strand 13" long (the prop hook to rear motor peg length on the plan was 13"), which gave consistent 25 second flights, I then instead went to 2 strands of 3/16" rubber, each strand 15" long. I could really stretch the rubber very far out from the nose, using a winding stooge, and wound in 55 winds on my 15:1 winder which equals 825 turns on the rubber motor, and got my record, much slower, beautiful turning flight of 48 seconds!! Then I got greedy and wound 70 turns on the winder for 1050 turns, and when I put the nose plug on - the Rubber Motor BLEW UP !!!  Undecided  Lips Sealed  Cry Tissue damage all over the rear end, and a big chunk (sitting on my glasses case), of the balsa forward fuse former, busted out, along with the three bottom fuse forward nose stringers busted !!  The rubber was a big wound knot in the back of the fuse - only the fuse tissue was ripped badly - no structural damage to the fuse frame. I could not even find the "S" hook from the rubber to the prop hook.

( 132 KB | 57 Downloads )
IM005216_1024x768.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint