Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Assembly Fixture (Read 8864 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Assembly Fixture
Reply #20 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Outstanding!!
Thanks for this.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #19 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, no chop saw here, it's a hand tool furniture shop. Will need to buy a blade and have my brother-in-law cut the channel. Got a drill press so the rest will be a piece of cake.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

yotabota
3 Star Member

I must age,,, but I don't
have to mature

Reply #18 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
One more thing, if you're going to use the chop saw to cut the channel, after the cut is made hold the saw down until the blade stops rotating. This will ensure you don't get any unwanted nicks and the lose end doesn't get away.

IP Logged

yotabota
3 Star Member

have to mature

Reply #17 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
NB - for cutting the channel, does your shop include a chop saw? I have a 10" Bosch with a 60 tooth narrow kerf carbide tipped blade and it worked well. Use a piece of scrap wood clamped to the fence to make a zero clearance backing, set a stop for length and away you go. Take it easy for the first couple of cuts to get a feel for it and you should be fine. I bought two lengths of channel and cut them together with the channel facing down and it worked well. A small file to cleanup the burr and then drilled the holes. I used a fence with length stop  on the drill press as well to get the holes location consistent.
SAFETY FIRST - you will get little cuttings a aluminium flying around so use your glasses. I don't think I would try this on the table saw, to much chance for things to flying (things that aren't supposed to go flying).
Hope this helps.
Mike

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 6:15am
Print Post  
I'm going to replace my cross members with the aluminum channel as you are right, turning them over and filling with balsa gives even more functionality. I have a wood shop so cutting the channel could be a small problem. I'll take any and all recommendations. I also needed to change positions now and again so put it on my drawing board and tilted the board some. Helped but still need more movement.
NB
Mike
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2018 at 7:24am by New Builder »  

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

yotabota
3 Star Member

have to mature

Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
The Mike's are taking over!!! lol. Thanks for the comps, MK - even cutting your uprights to about a 30 degree angle would probably help. I was tinkering a bit more and discovered that if I flipped the channel over and filled it with a piece of hard balsa it works for pinning "stuff" as well. I might try this for the next wing build.
NB -  yah I want to see it in action as well, I still haven't got my Hurri done. Didn't like the way the covering painted up so I stripped it and that's as far as I've got. Oh well, life is good Smiley

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Mike that looks really good - the rotisserie is a smart addition, may have to update my base to allow that as I've sometimes found it awkward working flat on my fixture.  I like the aluminum crosspieces as well.

Happy building!

Mike

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2018 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Fantastic work and am very happy you were able to come up with an incredible version of my fixture. I was happy with just turning it over and have it align with the center line again. I must admit I cobbled mine together in a hurry just to get to work and didn't even make enough cross members to use on any other model, will make those soon. This is really a great advantage to you and your building. Looking forward to some pics of it in action.
Mike

IP Logged

yotabota
3 Star Member

have to mature

Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
NBAF (new builder assembly fixture) Version 1.2. NB's being version 1.0.
Like so many of others I have a bad back and have trouble leaning over for long periods, so rather than me leaning over the fixture I made my fixture tiltable. I can spin it 360 degrees to what ever position is comfortable letting me work on any side of the model. The frame is 3/4 inch aluminium tubing and is about 7" x 27". It's long enough for my Guillows P-38 when ever I get to building it. The cross pieces are 3/8 inch alum channel from Home Depot. I made the spare parts box so it can slide on the bottom crossbars. The two bolts with the black knobs are the T-Bolts I use for balancing, the t-bolts slip into the channel and the knobs lock them in place. I'm all in for about $100 bucks cdn but I'm thinking it will work well for me. Now all I need to do is build somethin Roll Eyes
NB - thanks for the inspiration, I spend more time building stuff for the planes than I do building planes but I enjoy the tinkering Smiley
Mike

( 151 KB | 193 Downloads )
P1010472.JPG
( 153 KB | 199 Downloads )
P1010473.JPG
( 150 KB | 189 Downloads )
P1010474.JPG

IP Logged

Bargle
3 Star Member

Oh crumbs

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Belated thanks to New Builder and MKelly. I'll probably build one next spring.

Sure it's a wrinkly mess, but it flies.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Wow - I never thought this simple little tool would generate this much attention. I make these tools to fill a need for me and if they can be helpful to others, I'm a very happy guy. I truly cannot get into the making of another one and it is not hard to do. I used stock materials from Lowes and Michaels and the "T" track that I posted the mfg. number, so no magic there, just glued it together and did some cutting and you have one. As to royalties, don't need those, all too happy to help out when ever and where ever I can.
BTW - Outbound shipping from Canada would be about $75.00
Mike

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
OK! i would put it to NEWBUILDER then.

Bob

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2017 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bob, but that'd cut way too much into building time!  Besides, I'd have to pay royalties to NewBuilder...

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Mike if you ever wanted to manufacture these. I will buy one.

Bob

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Here you go, Bargle.  Fuselage horizontal in jig to install the right side formers, then vertical in jig to install the side keels and stringers.  For this fuselage, due to the stepped keel at the nose, it worked best to install the fuselage upside down and do the keels and lower stringers first.  I'll flip the frame to do the topside stringers, then pull it off the jig to get the last stringers above the keel on each side.

For next time I'll replace the 1/2" plywood crosspieces with thinner hardwood crosspieces - that will make it easier to do smaller fuselages.

Cheers,

Mike

( 240 KB | 199 Downloads )
0828_Installing_Right_Formers_001.JPG
( 381 KB | 178 Downloads )
0828_Fuselage_Upside_Down_In_Jig_001.JPG
( 256 KB | 162 Downloads )
0830_Lower_Stringer_Installation_001.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint