Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Combat Kitten by Top Flite conversion to electric (Read 10453 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Combat Kitten by Top Flite conversion to electric
Reply #28 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
In my rc days I used to make hatches out of laminations of 1/64" ply and 1/16" balsa and then make a tab or tabs depending on size of hatch on the bottom edge to catch under the opening and a wire latch that goes through 1/16" ply plates.  I used a ball point click pen spring to activate the catch.  I made a real quick and dirty drawing to help illustrate the hatch cover.

I soldered the short length of wire to the longer length that is sprung.  The short length sticks up through a slot in the hatch.  The tab/tabs just catches under the opening of the hatch  and some scrap balsa keeps the hatch from falling through the opening.  A ply strike plate for the wire on the underside of the opening.  Hope the picture explains the written explanation.   

( 35 KB | 59 Downloads )
battery_hatch_2.JPG

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #27 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 11:10am
Print Post  
LWM:  Yes, it has a lot of right thrust per the plans.  The Lil Satan has no right thrust, but has the flying lines exiting the wing toward the rear to achieve the same effect.  Just something I noticed.

Here are a couple shots of the completed Kombat Kitten.  The only things left to do are make some flying lines, print and apply a logo and then go flying.

One bad thing I've done.  Lots of hatch mounting screws.  I have to undo them all to remove/change/charge the batteries.  And I have to do that just plug the battery in.  Then get the hatch back in place and put the little screws in.  I'm trying to come up with a way to at least have the battery attachment outside the plane so I can do that easily.  My hobby shop told me not to use "on/off" inline switch like I used to use when it was only the radio equipment pulling power.  Any ideas?

( 73 KB | 83 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_40.JPG
( 71 KB | 78 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_41.JPG
( 68 KB | 70 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_42.JPG
( 86 KB | 82 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_43.JPG
( 17 KB | 75 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_44.JPG

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -  Philip K. Dick
GTalk  
IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #26 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Hi Brad - did you put "right thrust" into that  1/2"  motor mount extension, to keep the plane out to the end of the control lines as the plane flies to the left?  This is really bringing back memories ...
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #25 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
I did make a 1/2 inch extension for the motor mount.  I think this gets me also to balance.  I did have to move the battery slightly backward, otherwise my hatch screws would have gone right into the battery.  Not Good!!!  I'm also going to put a larger prop on.  I checked the prop data chart for the motor and it shows up to a 10 inch prop.  I swapped my 7 for an 8 inch, plus the 1/2 inch extension and I'm almost in balance.  So I'm thinking of going with a 9 inch to start.  I'll also see how much more weight I add with the counter sunk mounting screws.

( 52 KB | 75 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_36.JPG
( 52 KB | 73 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_37.JPG
( 51 KB | 72 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_38.JPG
( 55 KB | 75 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_39.JPG

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -  Philip K. Dick
GTalk  
IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #24 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Brad - you look like one lucky happy kid from the 1970s, with all of those nice model planes - brought back fun memories, but alas, I don't have any pics of me and my planes as a kid ...
Oh yeah - gotta love that "peace" symbol.  Thanks for sharing those pics !   Smiley
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
WOW! I can barelly remember being that thin until after the NAVY

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Bob:  I used the heat shrink on the lead outs just because I had cable coming out the back of my crimp tube that was untwisted.  I soldered the connection that is also connected inside a crimped metal tube.  I sort of triple did it.

I had to post some old photos I found last night from the early 1970's.

My un known combat plane, a little Cox plane, my Sinbad, Lil Satan and workbench, my Dad and I flying the Sinbad in the California Bay Area foothills behind the HP labs, my Folker D7 and my crashed Nobler.  Fun old photos.

( 149 KB | 81 Downloads )
066.jpg
( 84 KB | 79 Downloads )
067.jpg
( 95 KB | 86 Downloads )
069.jpg
( 80 KB | 74 Downloads )
070.jpg
( 88 KB | 68 Downloads )
071.jpg
( 103 KB | 75 Downloads )
072_Nobler_001.jpg

GTalk  
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Brad, I have never heard of heat shrink on the ends, but I like it.

Bob

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Brad - I have bought a lot of stuff from Brodak.  John Brodak is BIG into control line flying.  He has a lot of great stuff in his Catalogue.   I recommend him - really nice guy - spoke to him on the phone ...
LWM

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
I haven't purchased from them but have heard good things about them.  Brodak : Control Line Supplies Click Here
Tom

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #18 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
I have a HURC 400 that's 11 grams heavier.  I can give that a try.  It's 1000kv.  Although, I like the Firepower's because they appear to be very well built with a strong, thick prop shaft that will stand up to impact.  The HURC not so much.

Here are a couple shots showing that I did squeeze everything into the wing.  I also ran up the motor and the plan had good pull.  I'm confident it will fly  Smiley  I also finished up my connectors on my lead outs.  A crimped metal tube, then soldered, then shrink tubing.   

My hobby store does not have U-Control lines.  Does anyone know a good source?

( 81 KB | 70 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_31.JPG
( 79 KB | 77 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_32.JPG
( 85 KB | 71 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_33.JPG
( 47 KB | 70 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_34.JPG
( 80 KB | 72 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_35.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #17 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I'm getting close to finishing!!!

The wing is now fully covered and the tail booms/elevator attached.  Nose block epoxied in place and initial motor mounted.  I ended up getting a couple of 450 mah, 2-cell batteries.  They worked best in my battery compartment.

This plane is tail heavy.  I'm working at moving everything I can as far forward as I can - but it's not yet in balance.  The motor shown is the Firepower 300 with a spinner (I added it for weight but it wasn't enough).  I have since swapped it with a Firepower 370.  The spinner doesn't work on it, but it came with a larger prop nut - probably about equal.  I am also going to remove my fancy top hatch's little clip on the bottom so I can push the battery as far forward as possible.  Another option is downsizing my ESC or making a firewall extension approx. 1/4 to 3/8 inch.

( 78 KB | 72 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_26.JPG
( 66 KB | 76 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_27.JPG
( 87 KB | 66 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_28.JPG
( 76 KB | 70 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_29.JPG
( 82 KB | 68 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_30.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
This is a great looking model.  The outside mounting of the ESC is a good idea.  Suggest top of wing (assume that's what you were thinking already) 

The yellow and black is really a knockout!!! Smiley
Tom

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #15 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
Fully covered!!  I'm having to touch up paint on the tail booms/elevator.  Ends up it was NOT a perfect fit and I had to add filler material to make it snug, so I gave it another spray  Smiley

I'm thinking that I'm going to mount the ESC on the exterior, approx. location as per photo, and attach with Velcro.  The manuals all say to give ESC ventilation for cooling, so hey, I'll put it on the exterior. 

Tomorrow I'm hoping to hit the local Hobby store for another couple of batteries for this plane in the 500mah range, hopefully 3 cell, 11.1 volt.  We'll see what they have.

( 81 KB | 70 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_24.JPG
( 81 KB | 72 Downloads )
Combat_Kitten_25.JPG

GTalk  
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2017 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Enjoy the TGIF!!! And date night...gotta keep the priorities in order.  Happy wife happy life!
Tom

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint