Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stooging around (Read 2548 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Stooging around
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Mike,
I haven't been flying in the damp grass so I've not had that problem.  I do sometimes fog a coat of Krylon Chrystal Clear over it though.
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Tom,

Have you had any issues with the white glue dissolving on dewey mornings?  I tried it for fillets once and was somewhat dismayed to find it going soft when flying in wet grass.  The Titebond is water-resistant when dry so I've been using that, but it dries yellow rather than clear so you have to live with that or cover it up.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Mike,
The repairs looks good.  I use Elmer's white glue to repair tissue.  It spans small gaps and dries clear.  Another trick is to use some plastic stretch food wrap over the Elmer's after it's applied to get a smooth contour to the wing or fuselage.  A little masking tape at the edges to hold it tight.  Once dry the plastic stretch wrap will peal right off leaving a surprisingly smooth finish for paint or just as is.  Remember that's battle damage repair in the field! Lot's of WWII birds had this king of repair.
Tom

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 10:29am
Print Post  
In between sessions on the Tigercat this week I've been getting my other models ready for WestFAC, including repairing the Tempest's wing.

This one was pretty straightforward, as only the LE and tissue were damaged.  I applied a little Tightbond to the broken edges of the LE and pulled it back into position.  Next I cut a small strip of firm 1/32 balsa and glued it across the back side of the LE breaks, clamping it tight with a craft store mini-clothespin (these are great tools, by the way).  I teased the tissue back into position and used a bit of Tightbond to bridge the tears, then brushed on a little touch-up paint.  I should have sanded the LE just a bit before applying the yellow paint - may go back and do that this evening.

A little bit heavier, a little bit uglier, but she'll be flyable for the WWII mass launch event.  Eventually I'm going to have to re-cover that right wing - it's led a hard life this last year.

( 252 KB | 77 Downloads )
171019_LE_Pulled_Back_Into_Place.JPG
( 292 KB | 67 Downloads )
171020_LE_Doubler_Clamped_In.JPG
( 285 KB | 85 Downloads )
171021_Touched_Up_and_Ready.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Bummer...but I'm sure you'll have her flying again soon.  I hate it when the only obstacle at the flying site is like magnetism to our aircraft!   
Kinda like the "Kite eating tree of Charlie Brown" Embarrassed Cry Wink
Tom

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #1 - Oct 6th, 2017 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
My condolences Mike - I know what that is like ...  Sad
LWM

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Stooging around
Oct 6th, 2017 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Don't you hate it when you go out for some trim flying, do light winds and get a great first flight, then whack into a stooge on final?  Yeah, me too.

Been working on improving the Tempest's duration in anticipation of this month's WestFAC WWII mass launch.  I finally got around to replacing the diamond hook with a proper reverse S hook, and made up a new 6x24"x3/32" motor.  Wound it up to 2 oz-in for a test flight, got over 30 seconds with a nice left-right pattern and a smooth transition to glide, only to clip a stooge post at about 1 foot altitude.  Repairs will commence this weekend...

Cheers,

Mike

( 387 KB | 103 Downloads )
171006_Stooge_Mark.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint