Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cookup Peanut or dime Scale 2017.11. 23-2018.2.28 (Read 211960 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Winter Cookup for 2017 Nov 23- Feb 28
Reply #741 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Bob,
I finally heard from Crabby over on HPA and he sent me pictures of his vertical building board using magnet board attached to plywood structure.  I posted the pictures in the woodworking section:  Click Here
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #740 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Looking really good.  For the cowling make sure the 1/32" has the grain running from the nose to the cockpit line so it will wrap easily around the cowling.  You'll need to but the 1/32"  together to get enough length.

I take the needed width of sheet and butt join it and with masking tape I tape the pieces together as tightly as possible.  Then I turn it over and apply diluted carpenter's glue (yellow) to the joint and then turn it back over and place on wax paper or plastic wrap and weight it down to dry overnight.  If I need several joints I just do them the same and  then turn them over and weight them down.  This gives me the length of the strip needed and has the grain running the proper way for easy wrapping.  Just a suggestion.

Of course you could cut the strip from a length of 1/32" and soak it in hot water and wrap it around a mold of the proper diameter for your cowling diameter and let it dry in shape before gluing it to the cowling.

Always more than one way to skin a cat!
Tom

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #739 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Mr. Mulligan
We're on our feet. Not such a great feat (every pun intended) but still working to the finish line. The cowling is causing me a bit of frustration. The paper one from the plans was a bit off and would have fit somewhat lopsided. A little high school geometry and a giant pair of dividers got it back into shape. made a cutout, trimmed it and of course, too short. For the first time in a while, I had saved the original and laid it out again. This one will be 1/32 A grain, seems some what easier to handle. Called the hobby shop yesterday to inquire about the frisket paper for the registration numbers but seems I have dragged my feet too much. More in stock in two weeks.
Mike

( 66 KB | 66 Downloads )
On_Our_Feet_1.jpg
( 75 KB | 71 Downloads )
On_Our_Feet_2.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #738 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks Richard!  Yesterday's videos were shot on a keychain camera I picked up last week.  I wanted a hands-free solution and I'm cheap, so I picked up this keychain camera from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XY61WK3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UT...

It works OK - picture quality is poorer than the iPhone 5c I've been using for video, but I can tape the keychain camera to my hat and keep both hands unencumbered for the model.  File sizes are also monstrous - I filled a 32GB SD card with about an hour of video.

Today I made a replacement blade and repaired the broken prop.  I made another 10 prop blanks and started another set of spinners and noseblocks - plan is to make another set of props at higher pitch and have some spare blades. 

Tom, your comment has me thinking maybe I'll first make a reverse rotation prop and see how it flies counter-rotating...

Mike

( 361 KB | 68 Downloads )
0314_Replacement_Blade_and_Keychain_Cam.JPG

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #737 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Mike,
If you're going to make another set of props you might want to try opposite rotating props to cancel out the prop tork...
Tom

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #736 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
Mike, what a great send off pic,   Shocked   , what with those blue skies and white clouds matching that translucent color scheme of your Grumman 5F5  Skyrocket twin, and it looks like a picture postcard flying against that sky.   Smiley   Thanks for the videos!   Cheesy   You have perfectly high grass there !  Cheesy   I snipped 15 pics and here are the best 6 pics out of your video here also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQWYI2RL0nk&feature=youtu.be
Mike what kind of cell phone camera are your using - I think I must take the plunge very soon ... and buy one ...
LWM
Richard

( 92 KB | 68 Downloads )
SKYROCKET_13.JPG
( 81 KB | 89 Downloads )
SKYROCKET_14.JPG
( 71 KB | 68 Downloads )
SKYROCKET_15.JPG
( 51 KB | 73 Downloads )
SKYROCKET_7.JPG
( 45 KB | 74 Downloads )
SKYROCKET_9.JPG
( 74 KB | 72 Downloads )
SKYROCKET_10.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #735 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys!  Ian, the last flight was just the remaining winds from the 900-turn wingover that preceded it.  The model flies well at low torques but pops over to the left as the winds go over 700.  After I repair the prop I'm thinking about trying a loop of 1/16" rubber in each nacelle - if that has enough oomph to make the model climb it may get me longer flights without the torque issues, and will weigh less and probably bunch up at the rear peg less.  I'm also probably going to make a set of higher-pitch props and try them.

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #734 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Mike, thanks for the encouragement. Your F5F photo made me cry, Cry it was like being there to see her fly. Great job.

I was successful in taping the Me 109 plan together in one sitting with hurting. Cheesy

Bob

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #733 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Mike, color me super jealous! Wonderful plane. Great flights. For that last flight, did you add some right trim to the rudder? It was great! I thought that you needed to open up the circle a little. Smiley Big smiles  Smiley Smiley
ian

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #732 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Good to have you back in the mix Bob!

Got another trimming session in with the Skyrocket this morning, this time with longer motors (10" loop of 3/32" rubber each side).  Moving the cg forward, re-trimming the glide and adding a bit of left rudder has helped the glide transition, but torque is still a problem over 700 turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQWYI2RL0nk&feature=youtu.be

Day ended when I broke a prop blade and lost it in the tall grass - will make a replacement and some spares.  Considering making another set of props with 1.4 P/D.

Cheers,

Mike

( 349 KB | 69 Downloads )
Snapshot_3__3-13-2018_8-53_PM_.png

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #731 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Tom, I would appreciate that link on that board.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #730 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Bob,
I think there's a guy (might be Crabby) that has a semi vertical magnet building board because of his back.  It hangs on the wall kinda like an easel hinged at the top  with storage underneath.  Quite a set up... might help you not to have to lean over a table.  I'll see if I can find a link to the pictures.

Life interfered with your cookup build so take your time an build as you can...just don't over do it!
Tom

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #729 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Still great to have you around, Bob.  Do what you can, when you can...and heal...become well. Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #728 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Neal, I'm steal healing and have to use a back brace to sit for the 30 minutes that I am able. I have to use a walker to get around. It will be some time till I am able to get to building full time.

The 109 just looks good on paper and thought it would go with the P-51 already built.

Bob

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #727 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
How are you doing, Bob...you haven't been building for awhile...unless it's been "clandestinely."  Cheesy  I'd love to see a Bob-Built-Messerschmitt.... Smiley  That's a lot of dihedral on those plans...must be a real flyer.  Looking forward to your build.

Neal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52
Send TopicPrint