Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Max wing loading? (Read 1060 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: Max wing loading?
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Good question Craig - my DUMAS 18" Spad 7 biplane has a wing loading of 0.53 grams per square inch of total wings area.  I only got a 10 second "swoop" over the grass - but then again, I never put 2 degree positive incidence into the lower wing, and I never put 1 degree positive incidence into the upper wing, and I never put negative incidence (decalage) into the stab.  I did try a downthrust shim in the nose, to no avail.  But it is still a rubber powered free flight model, because the prop is hooked up to a rubber motor, and the kit is advertised as a flying model.  I "intended" to fly it, but I did not know all of the tricks ("one man's flyer is another man's brick", I think I read a wise man say ...).  I think I read that a 20 second flight qualifies you for the Flying Aces Club.  It seems to me, that there is a fine line between too heavy to actually fly, and light enough to fly.  But then again, I am no expert.
This r/c Geek flies a superman though ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaycHxDMpRg 

and Iron Man flies here (along with the music) 
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmuk8_ast_w ;  

LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Max wing loading?
Nov 4th, 2017 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
OK, I know .5g per square inch of wing surface area is the ROT- but how high a wing loading have you guys actually gotten a "successful" flight with? Lets call "successful" for the purposes of this discussion 20 seconds with a proper climb and decent descent back to terra firma.

I'm looking at some of my old Cleveland plans- reputedly they'd fly, but manoman, some of them make me wonder. I guess I'm trying to determine if there is a go/ no-go line above which it is definitely going to be a static build.

On a related note, I have a minty fresh wartime Cleveland Master Kit FW-190 with wartime "replacement wood." I think, if one built it from the kit, it'd gross over a pound!

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2017 at 5:16pm by Craig 3 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint