Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cutting to Inside Curves (Read 3947 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: Cutting to Inside Curves
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Staubkorb - I gave up on double edged razor blades due mostly to dyeing my balsa red (no doubt the extreme caution you mentioned). I have cut them in half with better luck and then moved on to single edged blades with some success. I use my scalpel for outside cutting and it works very well. I'll go back to the double edged blades and give them one more try.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Only one cutting utensil in the quivver won't cut it (pun intended Grin).

X-Acto, Exel (sp?) and the like #11 style blades share many common problems.  They are NOT sharp enough and too thick.  That thickness is one of the prime reasons behind part splitting - which can be partially alleviated by making a series of shallow cuts.  It's tedious and can cause cramps...

Surgical scalpels - the small size with a ...#11 blade Roll Eyes - are MUCH sharper and thinner, but the thinness makes them more flexible.  More care is required.  Double edged razor are really ideal when halved and a corner snapped off to form a point.

That piece is then mounted onto some sort of handel and away u go.  EXTREME CAUTION MUST BE EXERCISED!!

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 8:22am
Print Post  
That happens a lot, and even especially when I try to sand in, or cut out notches into the formers.  And really troublesome with the die stamped (die crushed) kits out there.  There is a lot to be said for laser cut parts in the laser cut kits today, in my humble opinion.
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Cutting to Inside Curves
Nov 6th, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Not having much luck cutting to inside curves of formers (or any curved parts for that matter) without breaking out along the grain. Sure would appreciate any advice, tricks, tips or techniques.
mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint