Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Indoor stick and tissue rubber model (Read 10542 times)
LivingroomFlight
Ex Member

Re: Indoor stick and tissue rubber model
Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Oh I see that administrators created new category for ultra light mylar or ultrafilm covered airplanes. The problem is that I am going to cover my airplane with tissue and it will not be ultralight. Also, worth mentioning is that people have to scroll and scroll, so no one will really get here. So it does not make any sense to continue this build here. Guys, you can remove this thread, sorry for inconvinience ;P

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
LRF - I have some really old model airplane books and some of them discuss micro film, basically a liquid plastic solution and they poured it onto standing water. It cured there and was lifted out on a coat hanger frame and deposited of the model. Your method seems a whole lot safer.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

LivingroomFlight
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Yeah those builds can be indeed pretty delicate, especially those contest class. Some push it to insanity. For my fun project I would like to have outcome around 1g without rubber for a 7" job. That is more that twice that ministick minimum weight. But should be enough for around 2 minutes flights at home. I started off with a motor stick and the bearing. The plan has the bearing made from the aluminium can, but I want a wire pigtail adjustable bearing that will allow prop removing. The wire I guess is around 0.12. Same for the rear hook. The stick I made a bit bigger, might sand it down later, but I want a lot of torque there Wink Motor stick was sliced in front and bearing was glued in with around 4down,2left thrust.

( 116 KB | 80 Downloads )
IMG_2046.JPG
( 88 KB | 77 Downloads )
IMG_2044.JPG
( 99 KB | 78 Downloads )
IMG_2043.JPG
( 111 KB | 85 Downloads )
IMG_2053.JPG
( 155 KB | 79 Downloads )
IMG_2048.JPG
( 141 KB | 100 Downloads )
IMG_2055.JPG

IP Logged

Yardman Jeff
3 Star Member

I feel like a kid again

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
That looks like great indoor fun!  Cheesy

I'm a bit worried I'd mangle such delicate building materials...but I guess I'll never know unless I try it out.

IP Logged

LivingroomFlight
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately my ceiling is not flat, my appartment is kind of just below the roof Wink That is one of my old models flying, they just jump back bouncing off the walls and keep on flying Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3F2EZ3wCps

IP Logged

Yardman Jeff
3 Star Member

I feel like a kid again

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2017 at 11:30am
Print Post  
Those little fragile birds amaze me. Do you turn it with a stick to avoid collisions while air borne?

Looks like good indoor winter fun!  Cool

IP Logged

LivingroomFlight
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Haha yeah ok, thinner than 1/16 square, something like 1/32.
Since I have around 2 years of break I will go for a simple to trim one:

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0ahUKEwi4xbqm...

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
OH! you are talking VERY LIGHT  construction which my fingers usually break. Cheesy

IP Logged

LivingroomFlight
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Bob, I am talking model that can fly in the room, no need for a venue Wink My personal record is almost 5 minutes in my 4x4 room, but this one was ultrafilm covered. Tissue covered should do around 2 minutes.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Sorry for the bad weather in your area Cry. If only there was an indoor venue here in Austin, I would love to try some indoor builds.

Bob

IP Logged

LivingroomFlight
Ex Member

Indoor stick and tissue rubber model
Nov 6th, 2017 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Hello party people,

My two new outdoor models, tipsy s and stinson 105 from comet are hanging sadly on the wall for over a month never being flown, the weather is so bad in the Netherlands now. So I decided to build a indoor model for flying in a room in a meantime Smiley Well, I am not sure if topic of such a build really belongs to this forum since we build outdoor scale/sport models mainly here. But from the other hand it will be a rubber powered model, not sure if fully covered with tissue, but at least partially, either real mini stick or something similar. So please let me know in case this place would not be a right one to publish such a model's build!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint