Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Black Sheep Squadron Pearl Harbor No-Cal Contest (Read 1769 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: Black Sheep Squadron Pearl Harbor No-Cal Contest
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Hi Howard !!  That DOES look like a lot of FUN,   Cheesy  and a great place to fly with no wind or humidity.   Smiley    We just started a model club here in Windsor ( only 2 meetings so far ), and we meet once a month at our Historic Hangar at Windsor Airport.  We have about 15 guys so far, and me and New Builder "Mike" are the only two balsa builders so far.  I have all the information and application forms to rent the DOUBLE GYM for next season at Kennedy High School, which is right beside Jackson Park where the full size Spitfire and Hurricane replica warplanes sit on pedestals.  I hope we can find a couple of more guys willing to fly in that DOUBLE GYM once a week for $26.60 total per week ( split up between however many guys we get ), for two hours on one night once a week, for the months of October through to May.  Insurance only costs $75 for the season and the permit fee is only $15 for the season.  Calling on all balsa free flight modellers ... I know the r/c modellers also rent gyms out in the County.
LWM
Richard

( 153 KB | 70 Downloads )
SECOND_FLIGHT_B_002.JPG
( 156 KB | 64 Downloads )
CABINAIRE_LAUNCH.jpg
( 108 KB | 70 Downloads )
A_FLIGHT_N_001.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #2 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Now this looks like great fun. Could probably get the neighborhood kids into this as well.

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
The Pearl Harbor No Cal contest was not well attended this year.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the fires in the area had something to do with that. 

Here is the review of the event that Dave Gee posted on another forum.

In attempt to meet the massive demand for information on the results of this contest, here is a shot of the competitors.  (Attached, Howard)

Central is Howard Littman, producer of excellent cottage-industry laser-cut kits.  The Zero is held by Pete Basone, who has risen from newbie to formidable competitor.  On the left is well-known expert builder Don Butman.  Not holding a model is Don Smith, vice pres of the Black Sheep Sqdn.

My little A-12 (right) managed to eke out a win, despite being totally destroyed once and heavily damaged twice.  8 grams originally, now somewhat heavier due to glue on the broken places.

Boxes of genuine Hawaiian chocolate-covered macadamia nuts for all...

-Dave
basking in glory

Dave's A-12 pushed the limits of the notion of "recognizable scale" in a No Cal. Pete also flew one of my Buffalo kits that had been built by Don Butman and put up in the club raffle at the last meeting.  It was flying better than mine but his Zero had landing gear and had a 10 second per flight ROG bonus added to its score.  The ROG bonus rule in this club makes it advantageous to fly something with landing gear.

In the photo I'm holding one of my P-36 No Cal prototypes that I have been flying in this contest for the past 3 years.  It never does as well as my similarly aged Brewster Buffalo No Cals but it took me a while to get my Buffalo re trimmed that evening.  When I finally did, and had it circling around at the apex of the arched ceiling when it made a carrier landing on the back of one of the #$@% LED light boxes they now have hanging from the gym ceiling.  Dave knocked it down with his retrieval pole but broke a wing off doing it. It didn't matter since I need to build a new one with my new tissue skins (and landing gear) anyway.

The actual finishing order was:

1.  Dave Gee          A-12
2.  Pete Bassone    Zero
3.  Don Smith        Wildcat
4.  Don Butman     Wildcat
5.  Howard Littman Buffalo

Still, it was fun and my wife likes chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

( 221 KB | 61 Downloads )
Pearl_Harbor_2017.jpg

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Black Sheep Squadron Pearl Harbor No-Cal Contest
Nov 28th, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
The Black Sheep Squadron

Again Commemorates

"The Date That Will Live In Infamy"

with our famous

Pearl Harbor NoCal Contest

Luther Middle School Gym, in Burbank, 12/8/2017. 6-9 PM

The usual rules:

Open to NoCal models of aircraft present in the Hawaiian Islands at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack.  (See List)
Legal No-Cal models,stick and tissue, profile, "recognizable scale models", 16" wingspan max.
Total best 2 flights your score.  Unlimited attempts unless crowded airspace dictates otherwise.  10 second ROG bonus.
Prizes, corny Hawaiian music, leis, etc., will be provided

Ira Ratner, a real Hawaiian will be special guest.

See you there!

( 307 KB | 75 Downloads )
Pearl_Harbor_2.png

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint