Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Carl Goldberg Skylane 42 (Read 1828 times)
DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Carl Goldberg Skylane 42
Reply #19 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Gustavo, Nice color scheme. What kind of paints are you using that are fuel proof? I know it is to late for mine, but, can you provide a couple picture of how you are attaching your wing struts?

IP Logged

Gustavo vintage RC

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #18 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Hi friends, I am in the last stage to complete my Carl Goldberg Cessna Skylane 42". I built it from Outerzone plan, only balsa, cutter, sand, glue. No kit, no laser cut. I decided not install landing gear because the runway of my club is grass. He weights 615 grams (21,5 Oz). I think its a very good weight. Needs 35 grams of lead at nose. I hope he flies well!

( 114 KB | 3 Downloads )
0007.jpg
( 186 KB | 10 Downloads )
0011.jpg
( 198 KB | 4 Downloads )
0016.jpg
( 244 KB | 5 Downloads )
0032.jpg
( 187 KB | 4 Downloads )
0039.jpg
( 91 KB | 8 Downloads )
0043-1.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #17 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Now that's a unique looking aircraft!  It looks like it's glow powered or maybe spark gasoline.  I'll bet it's a real screamer.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Found it. It is not as quite rat roddish as I thought I remembered. But this sure opens a whole new door of thought for me on thinking about an airplane build.

( 49 KB | 5 Downloads )
81052355_10214879933541182_1557601152961347584_n.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #15 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Tom, I just saw this picture the other day, and I don't remember where to go to re find it. It was of a rat rod looking airplane. It sure made me think of other possibilities for airplanes. And after saying that, how about a Flight of the Phoenix boxcar RC airplane? On that note, how about this idea for the next cookup? A Flight of the Phoenix or a rat rod airplane build?

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Love the Skylane!  That's quite a hotrod you have there as well.... too bad you couldn't find a set of honking big duelies for it!!! Roll Eyes Shocked Grin Wink Cool

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Carl Goldberg Skylane 42 is 97% finished. Have a couple little things to do yet. Guess one of them is, wait till spring.

( 220 KB | 6 Downloads )
IMG_0131.JPG
( 217 KB | 5 Downloads )
IMG_0132.JPG
( 207 KB | 4 Downloads )
IMG_0133.JPG

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
I reluctantly went ahead on this build to put plastic windows in it as the original model shows. I have never put clear windows on my RC airplanes. Also I used the thicker plastic from grocery store cookie/hoagie containers, over the paper thin plastic supplied with the kit. And I wonder why I have an overweight problem. Anyway, I thought Tacky Glue was the hot setup to use here?  I glued the center flat section of the front windscreen, and left it sit all night, next to the heater in the basement. I tried pushing on the side this morning, to see how it would fit, and wrap around the corner, and it popped right loose from the glue. What is the glue to use for clear windows/windscreens?

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I still have this problem building my S&T models...just haven't gotten to where I don't add balsa to the plans.  I've tried to build a few NoCals to help with the concept of keep it simple and add lightness!!!  NoCal's are a big help with this.  I still haven't built a 7 gram NoCal yet!!!  I think it's a natural tendency to over build especially when moving from a larger model to smaller ones!!! Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Tom, lately I have been building with the battery box area as large as I can make it, within reason. Then with foam blocks, I can move the battery to wherever I want it. And can take various sizes of batteries. Originally, this kit was supposed to finish, with an .049 on it, around 25 ish ounces. With all the nose weight needed, and finishing touches yet to be done, I'm looking at almost 40 ish ounces. I used all my 40 and 60 size building techniques, on this .049 build. Maybe that is where I went wrong? DUH. There's an old Chevy V8 out behind the garage. I'm starting to think that will be just about enough nose weight. Like Maxwell Smart said, save 1 oz on the tail, saves 3 oz's on the nose, trick. I forgot to calculate in a pound of rubber bands to hold the wing on, at the rate of speed this thing is going to need to fly.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 11:12am
Print Post  
I wish there was some way to guarantee no crashes...haven't heard of anyone who's accomplished this with any type of gadget or technique. Sad Undecided Cry

There are some new gadgets that do help in stablizing your aircraft that is built into the receiver.  Weight is always a challenge.  Strong enought to stand the stresses of flight without too much to try to survive a crash.  I suggest the lighter avenue, my experience showed a lighter plane hit softer than a heavy one! 

As for balance you do have the option of larger battery.  This not only gives you more controlled weight but safer operation with less drain on the battery which will not heat up as much as a smaller battery with a high drain as the motor and control components use it power. You also want to allow some flow of air through the fuselage just for heat dissipation of all the components: ENGINE, EMC, BATTERIES, RECEIVER, ETC.  She's a very good looking model.  From my old RC days looks like about a 25 to 35 glow engine size model.  Trimmed out she could be a nice slower flyer for gentle fun casual flying.  Best of luck with flying her.  Because that's what she's really built for!!! Grin Cheesy Wink Cool

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Old time builder, stuck in his old time habits of building, bit in the butt big time. No one to blame but myself, long story short. Airframe is massively tail heavy. I am at 26oz, without a motor, battery, rec, ESC, and some misc details yet. And need 7oz (tape measure) on the very nose to bring CG where it needs to be. Need to reevaluate what motor and prop to use (that will clear the ground). Looking like it is going to be a very fast flyer. Because of the back history of this model, that it came from my Uncle Jack. It has massive sentimental value, which is not a good trait for a RC airplane. On one hand, maybe just keep it as a display, on the other hand, the whole goal was to fly it, but I would rather not re kit it. Maybe on the 3rd hand, rebuild a whole new fuselage.

( 341 KB | 5 Downloads )
7oz_on_nose_needed_for_CG.jpg
( 318 KB | 5 Downloads )
tape_measure_on_nose.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
Looking good!  Glad to see you're making some more progress.  No pressure, remember this is a FUN!!! Hobby!!! Smiley

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
I decided to take the time to actually get something done, before restarting this post. I've been forcing myself to take some time for myself, and get back to my hobbies. Today I figured it's about time to take some pictures. The wing is painted, and with a little more sanding, the fuselage is about ready to start finishing. I am going with a basic 172 Cessna paint scheme in red, white, and blue.

( 155 KB | 3 Downloads )
Skylane_2019_1.jpg
( 159 KB | 5 Downloads )
Skylane_2019_2.jpg
( 198 KB | 5 Downloads )
Skylane_2019__3.jpg
( 197 KB | 4 Downloads )
Skylane_2019_4.jpg

IP Logged

DAVE Q
Global Moderator

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Well, after almost 3 years, hopefully I can get back to finishing some of these projects. Life threw me a curve ball, but in hindsight, it turned out to be a blessing. After 3 years of effort and hard work, I believe I am back on track. Knock on wood. Here is a picture of what I am restarting with complete with 3 years of workshop dust.

( 245 KB | 6 Downloads )
Skylane_restart_after_almost_3_years.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint