Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bristol F2B Fighter (Read 14020 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: Bristol F2B Fighter
Reply #34 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Neil, your Bristol F2B does have a lot of "character"!!  Especially with that lower wing ...  Wink
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #33 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Looks great Neal - you don't waste any time, do you?  That looks like it would be a great Simplified Scale competitor for FAC.

Mike

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #32 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Looking Great!  I'm a bit concerned your vertical stab may be a bit small!  But this is really looking nice!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #31 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Upper wing in place...less cabanes...tail skid...exhaust...Lewis gun...under-wing skids...rigging.

Ian...weight thus far is 19.86g...18"ws.

Neal

( 169 KB | 52 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Upper_Wing_In_Place.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #30 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:59am
Print Post  
Hey Rick...that is a great picture of an F2B dealing with some "upstart" Fokkers!  Cheesy

I think I'll try the "fan method"...you know, several planks fanning on a center pivot point.  Nothing fancy...just try to make something that looks nice...and maybe flyable...certainly not scale.  I'll probably "bite off more than I can chew," but there's no time like show time. Grin

Neal

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #29 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:48am
Print Post  
That bottom wing looks great Neil!  It really does give the pilot a wider field of vision!
So Neil - a hand carved prop you say ... laminated or one piece?
LWM
Richard

( 91 KB | 48 Downloads )
BRISTOL_FIGHTER_AND_FOKKER_D7.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #28 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Lower wing is now attached...and strong!  Filled in some of the upper and lower center section before covering.  Attached landing gear struts to fuselage with CA.  When set...marked and cut back strut to accommodate wing center section airfoil.  Notched back edge of forward LG strut to receive wing leading edge....  You got the picture...  Tiny struts at the trailing edge were added for looks...really not functional or necessary.  Overall, wasn't as demanding a task as I'd imagined...but could not have accomplished it very easily without using CA....I'm satisfied.  I have no idea what that poor kid in 1936 did to accomplish the same thing?  I'm sure he had to create a wing jig and then wait days for the glue to cure. Sad

So now things are SOP (standard operating procedure) from here on out....

Oh, Rick...don't get excited...I still plan to try my "hand" at prop carving. Smiley

Neal

( 240 KB | 39 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Lower_Wing_Attachment.jpg
( 88 KB | 53 Downloads )
world-war-i-dogfight.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #27 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 2:02am
Print Post  
Neil, I was always wondering why the lower wing was detached from the plane.  Now i know - the lower wing was mounted separated from the fuselage as part of an effort to increase the pilot's downward visibility - thanks for pointing that out.  Of course the bottom wing then provided that much more lift from the center section curvature of the upper airfoil. that used to be buried in the fuse. 
LWM
Richard
PS   By the way Neil, both sides would engage in a propaganda war of hurling insults and demeaning names at an opponents' aircraft, which still continues to this day.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #26 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Neal...great progress.  Looking fantastic. Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #25 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Fuselage covered w/insignia.  Radiator cooling flaps simulated with a bit of art work.

Notice the small propeller attached to the landing gear in the flying shot of an F2b...that is an air pump...a compressor used to pressurize the fuel system during flight.  While starting the engine for run-up...a hand pump located on the right side of the cockpit is used for the same purpose.  Learned that from a Sopwith Triplane video. Smiley  A similar looking device was used to turn a "dynamo" for early radio operation...which the F2B also participated in.

Incidentally, read that the lower wing was mounted separated from the fuselage as part of an effort to increase the pilot's downward visibility.  Don't know how that worked...but it might have increased the lifting efficiency of the lower wing as well.  Consider also...this aircraft was powered by a Rolls-Royce engine...like some of its successors (Spitfire, Mustang, Mosquito, Lancaster)...ugly and ungainly, yeh.

Neal
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:55pm by Kerak »  

( 78 KB | 52 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Fuselage_Covering.jpg
( 69 KB | 56 Downloads )
maxresdefault_003.jpg
( 161 KB | 43 Downloads )
bristol_f_2b_026_of_106.jpg
( 132 KB | 50 Downloads )
bristol_f_2b_063_of_106.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #24 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Rick....

What I said earlier today about cooperation between the pilot and his gunner held true...and communication was paramount to survival.  In a standard 2-seater, a pilot would work to give his gunner a clear and unobstructed field of fire...while a scout pilot was doing everything in his own power to attack from the 2-seater's "blind spot."  Knowing this, a gunner who could communicate effectively with his pilot, would indicate what action to take.  A crew that could not communicate was in serious trouble.

The Re8 crew was in close proximity to each other...but the aircraft itself was too stable...not maneuverable...it could not respond quickly.  The DH4 on the other hand was a robust aircraft and moderately more maneuverable...but it had its large fuel tank located between the pilot and gunner...making communication very difficult (problem was rectified on the DH9...belatedly).  The F2B...got it all correct the first time round...fast, maneuverable, agile...and close cooperation between crew members.  "Ungainly" it was NOT...and THAT was really the "sucker punch," because an attacking scout would just as quickly find it's position reversed with the Bristol Fighter now on its "six."  My question has always been...how could its gunner be active and still be strapped in enough to permit such aerobatics?  It was not uncommon for a standard 2-seater to "lose" a gunner...ejected...while under attack.  The Brisfit gunner had to be ready because he was actually a passenger in a fighter aircraft!

Neal

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:45pm by Kerak »  

( 121 KB | 51 Downloads )
F2B.jpg
( 49 KB | 45 Downloads )
Lt_ARBrown_and_Lt_GFinlay_Bristol_F2B_Fighter.jpg
( 30 KB | 50 Downloads )
DH4.jpg
( 46 KB | 48 Downloads )
My_DH4.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #23 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Neil - I'm sure there were a lot of planes that did not make it to the top 25 most beautiful list.  Like the SE5a and the Fokker D7.  But I am sure everyone soon changed their tune from "ungainly", if they survived when coming up against these planes.  You have an interesting subject there of substantial historic significance, with difficult wings to attach.  The more I look at that Bristol F2B  bipe, and the more I learn about the history of the plane from your build, the more it looks confident, debonaire, and gallant.  Keep up the great work Neil!!   Smiley
LWM
Rihcard

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #22 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Started covering...an "ugly" task....

Neal

( 25 KB | 46 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Instrument_Panel_7.jpg
( 28 KB | 49 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Rudder_8.jpg
( 35 KB | 44 Downloads )
675422-15526-74-pristine.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #21 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Heavy, ungainly...I say 'ol boy! Grin Grin Grin  I found this old Telemaster box in my shop (big rc ship)...opened it up and discovered all sorts of goodies that I'd placed there years ago...monokote rolls, etc.  I also found a bunch of 3/32" and 1/8" stripwood...so old it was a bit brittle.  I decided to use the 3/32" for the fuselage and wing leading edges.  Remember...the original 15"ws plan has been enlarged.  Why is it Ian, that photos always make 3/32" stripwood look like 8x8's!?  Maybe I'm too close with those photos?   Will post the final model's weight.  Wink

Spot on Ian...beautiful Welsh lullaby...a bit of my own heritage...but only a bit...mostly Scottish and Norman English...toss in some Dane as well. Smiley

I LOVE the Bristol Fighter!  Was reading that in addition to its fantastic maneuverability, strength of construction, and speed...the pilot and gunner being literally back to back provided for wonderful crew cooperation...to the detriment of anyone attacking from the rear.  A real mean machine! Smiley  The Brits thought it so ungainly...they utilized it until 1932.  I can think of a lot of comments about "ugly," but effective trumps them all.

Thanks for your comment, Ian.

Neal

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #20 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Your structure looks heavy at first glance, but in the end, I doubt that it will add more than 3 or 4 grams to the final weight of the airplane over using 1/16" structure, especially since you aren't using 'oak' in construction. This way, you can use lighter stock for the structure. After all, most of the weight is in finishing - covering, landing gear and wheels. To me, the airplane looks ungainly and ugly, but that is also appealing in a certain way. The fuselage by itself has an appealing look with the straight sides. Interesting subject.
ian
  I am quite fond of the lullaby 'All through the night' which has Welsh roots, (and we all know how well the Welsh can sing), and is based on the song 'Ar Hyd Nos'. See: https://www.bedtimeshortstories.com/all-through-the-night-hymn

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint