Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bristol F2B Fighter (Read 14029 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Re: Bristol F2B Fighter
Reply #49 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Lookin' good Neil!   Smiley
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #48 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Lewis gun is now installed...goodnight Irene.

Neal

( 161 KB | 58 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Fighter_Lewis_Machine_Gun__303_cal.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #47 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
"We" now have a Lewis machine gun for "our" F2B...ol' FUU will soon be armed!  It's all courtesy of Colonel Lewis and his invention of 1912 (an American).

Remember the William's Brothers cylinder and such?  Here are a selection of their machine gun products left over from my rc days...all 2" scale...a Vickers, Lewis, Parabellum, and Spandau...really nice to have for reference.... Smiley...not that it helps me any...as you can see.

Neal

( 96 KB | 56 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Lewis_Machine_Gun.jpg
( 147 KB | 53 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Williams_Brothers_Machine_Guns_2in_scale.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #46 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:56am
Print Post  
I don't know about becoming a Michael Angelo...leave that up to the sculptures of the group....

Got the scarf ring gun mount done this morning...now for the Lewis.

Neal

( 76 KB | 49 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Scarff_Ring_Gun_Mount.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #45 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Neil - ol' "FUU" ?  Roll Eyes  LOL  I would never call that plane fat, ungainly, or ugly.  It would surely turn a lot of heads at a flying field that's for sure.  Those vintage wood stained struts really set off the color scheme beautifully!    Smiley    AND it IS  really light in weight for such an "FUU".   Looking forward to the crowning propeller.  Dare I ask, ... will there be a McKeever pilot and his gunner? so close together?  (since you are going all out on this one ...)?
LWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #44 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:17am
Print Post  
ditto what Ian said!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #43 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Ian.  This airplane has grown on me...so unusual that I just had to know more about it...then I had to build it! Wink  I now call it "FUU" out of love and affection.  Thank you, again.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #42 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Nice work, good colour applicaiton. I wouldn't call it particularly fat or ungainly. Those exhaust stacks set it off nicely.
ian

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #41 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Next is a Lewis gun and mount...ol' FUU (fat ungainly and ugly) is shaping up.

Neal

( 117 KB | 51 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_1.jpg
( 129 KB | 60 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_4.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #40 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Exhaust pipes installed...along with rocker covers.  Weigh-in is 20.04g (less prop and rubber).  At this point we have an airplane.  My recent build Guillows Sopwith Snipe at the same stage of construction was something like 34g...same wingspan.  "Ah...but is this the end...NO....eh, it is not even the beginning of the end...but perhaps it is the end of the beginning!"  Winston C...I paraphrase....

Neal

( 70 KB | 59 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Exhaust_Pipe.jpg
( 31 KB | 52 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_fat_ungainly_and_ugly.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #39 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
That's it Rick...looks like pretty much the same setup.  That angled "support" you've got at the forward end of the skid is actually a bungee cord...they all had something...usually a bungee as a shock absorber...but later F2B's actually had a small hydraulic shock absorber in the bungee's place (1920's). Don't know if a spring was ever used...but bungees were plentiful.   I used a spring on an rc Jenny once.  Cheesy  Most of the time...the bungee was internal...inside the fuselage and out of sight...but it was there.  If the skid would have been rigidly attached...I'm certain it wouldn't have been there long.  Wink

Speaking of castoring...the SNIPE I only just finished had a steerable tail skid!  Here's a detail of a steerable tail skid (NOT an F2B)...probably connected to the rudder bar.  Note: bungee not in place.

Your Be2 is beautiful Rick...another of your art pieces.  Not that this counts for anything...but I only just recently read that the Be was the most despised aircraft in the RFC.  Can't imagine why?  Actually there was nothing wrong with the airplane as such...it just was NOT a good combat machine...something of a "sitter."  In fact, I read that the Royal Aircraft Establishment was for some time their own worst enemy with regard to 2-seater reconnaissance aircraft.  They insisted that said machines should be inherently stable, practically able to fly themselves...as a prerequisite to official acceptance and mass production.  As such, any chance at defensive aerobatics was eliminated from the outset.  Bristol's F2A/B was a departure from that rule...agreed to only out of a desperate attempt to stem the excessive losses.  "Ain't bureaucracy wonderful?"

I was just thinking...look at all the hardware in that photo!  I imagine that if one had a metal detector and the approximation of a WWI crash site...say an aircraft that burnt...one could find the remains of all manner of fittings!  Could they all be made from aluminum...naaaaa....

Neal

( 166 KB | 60 Downloads )
fee-75.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #38 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
     Nice detailing on that tailskid Neil - what with the small metal plates and bolt heads, and shock absorber?   A few years ago I made a 22" BE2e ( BE as in Bleriot Experimental as in Louis Bleriot ) DPC kit, with a tailskid sort of similar, but I never knew enough back then to detail it up.   I gather that they are not "castoring" tailskids.  LOL
Was yours spring loaded like a shock absorber?  I think the one on mine was just solid, with no bungee cords, as it was a much earlier plane.
LWM
Richard

( 86 KB | 45 Downloads )
BE2e_TAILSKID.JPG

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #37 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Nice detail work!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #36 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 11:46am
Print Post  
And now...for the unending details...today we have...the tail skid...NOT the usual setup.  All balsa...for the sake of lightness.

Neal

( 64 KB | 47 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Tail_Skid.jpg
( 63 KB | 68 Downloads )
33857181860_b3c31b4f68_b.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #35 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys. 

That's interesting Tom...I know you're talking about the aerodynamics of the model...but that was the difference between the F2A and the F2B...the later involved an increase in tail surfaces.  All I can say is...that's what Comet designed way back when...and we shall see.  It's done now....

I've always admired those really nice looking vanished interplane struts...but if I used paint, the wood grain would disappear.  So....found an old can of maple oil stain (about 40 years old)...still good...applied that to the struts prior to installation.  Worked beautifully!  Installed with CA...oil posed no problem at all.  If I get really energetic...could try some clear dope on them...see how that'd look.

Neal

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint