Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bristol F2B Fighter (Read 14004 times)
neoflight
Ex Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Re: Bristol F2B Fighter
Reply #64 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Just a side note. There was a pilot/engineer at FedEx in Memphis,TN who built an operable and flight worthy full scale replica of the Brisfit in about 1988-89. Did a fly in at MemIntl during air show. Very sweet, nostalgic.
CORRECTION
I was mistaken about date. Years long passed tend to blur. It was first flown 1993. Builder was Ed Storo of Memphis, TN.
http://kiwiaircraftimages.com/brisfit.html
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2018 at 1:37pm by neoflight »  

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #63 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Chuck and Paul...you too, can post your builds...don't be bashful.  No one is competing against anyone here...we all enjoy each other's models.

Neal

IP Logged

shipwreck
4 Star Member

Navy Vet

Reply #62 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Gorgeous plane you build.
Paul

IP Logged

Charles H

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #61 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Another beautiful model,The talent is deep around here. I'm impressed great work,Chuck

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #60 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Rick.  Let me tell you...if I had the choice of creating a Lewis machine gun...or a prop...I'd definitely take the prop.  Now don't get me wrong...there's a huge difference in what I did...and what you've done.  Your propeller is a work of art...mine is a "get me by" prop.  Wink  I've made some mistakes that a next time effort will rectify...I sure wish I'd have made it longer...might have had a chance at being a flyer then.  Next time....sounds like the Brooklyn Dodgers, right?  Grin Grin Grin  But for models of airplanes that used wooden propellers...can't beat a wooden prop for looks. Smiley

Thanks for the inspiration, Rick.  Wink

Neal

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #59 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Oooooooooh ...  Shocked   Cheesy   a prop hub plate held on with bolt nuts, metal cladding on the prop leading edge, and maple stain on the prop wood to match the struts - really looks good!   Smiley  Bristol F2B Fighter!!!
lWM
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #58 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Display prop completed....

Neal

( 113 KB | 92 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Fighter_Scale_Propeller.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #57 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
To be honest guys  I've only carved two props.  They turned out great and were on models that were given away so I don't have any pictures.  I tend to build WWII and later models so laminated props don't get in my wheelhouse very often.  But the Walfisch may change that.  I tend to build prop hubs and attach blades that have been molded on 2 liter soda bottles or 4" cans with laminated ply blades baked in the oven usually multi blade props, with either three or four blades.  I usually use this method for blade selection if I'm not making scale props:  Laribee "MIL" Minimum Induced Loss props.  I just checked the thread and I see it was another thread affected by the Photobucket debacle.  Sorry, I'll have to redo this thread!

While looking for the Laribee "MIL" prop I found these pictures of one of my first props carved for my Chambermaid model...Click Here
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:31pm by Sky9pilot »  

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #56 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
     Well Neil - that prop looks great and VERY scale !!   Congratulations!  I see you have used the "Fan Method", which seems to be the way they actually made it in real life.  Saves a LOT of sanding, compared to my "laminated BLOCK" method.  My first prop was a real bad one ...  Actually I have four finished props on my models on the shelf, that are not laminated or painted between the layers, and they look just fine too.   My buddy John Oshust makes great props, and uses actual hardwoods of different shades and colors of wood.  Here is a link to his default images of his individual models - just click on an image and it will bring you right into his build thread  http://virtualaerodrome.com/user_hangar.html?p_menu=0&p_user_id=252
     Tom - I think you have to first paint the faces on both sides of the lamination planks, let dry, then glue them up with white glue, clamp them up, let  dry, THEN start sanding/filing/carving.  Then you stain it, and the stain does not interfere with the grain lines of acrylic paint.   Do you have a laminated prop to show us?
LWM
Richard

( 60 KB | 63 Downloads )
FAN_METHOD.JPG
( 114 KB | 87 Downloads )
FAN_METHOD_2.JPG
( 58 KB | 62 Downloads )
MY_FIRST_PROP.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #55 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Nice prop...well done.  I'm the kind that would try to paint between the lines left from the sanding to give the different laminations the look of the different wood.  This is a beautiful prop.  You and Richard are really doing a job on these props!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #54 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Here ya go, Rick...a one-hour propeller...4.5in dia...based on that shown on the Comet plan...obviously NOT a flyer...but, a wooden propeller.

Hey...under-camber is a tough row to hoe....I will finish it off with some maple stain and whatever.

Neal

( 246 KB | 67 Downloads )
Bristol_F2B_Fighter_Propeller_4_5in_dia.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #53 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Thanks, Rick.  Here's "ol' FUU's" final weigh-in less rubber motor.

Neal

( 69 KB | 86 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Fighter_final_weight_less_rubber_motor.jpg

IP Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Reply #52 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Very good Neil.   Wink   No need for a wooden prop at all!  Looks fine just the way it is.   Smiley  Great story as always.  It seems that only the Aces that lived for a long time after the war, it seems that only those Aces really achieved the fame that they deserve ... the others become soon forgotten ... but NOT forgotten by Kerak!
LWM
Richard

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #51 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Thank you gentlemen.

No styrene, Mike...just balsa, paper, and aluminum tubing...debris from this build...got to do something with this clutter! Grin  It's all a bit maddening...I keep dropping tiny parts...or cutting them and suddenly they fly off to wherever parts go...into that other dimension! Read a short story once about how that "other dimension" finally got tired of it all and dumped everything back into this world...everything that had ever been lost throughout time! Shocked

I think I'm gonna call it AN AIRPLANE for a while.  Rick says I need to carve a prop...so will look into that.  I could do rigging...but this airplane has more rigging than the Cutty Sark...so need to think about that too.

A little detail on Andy McKeever...a finale note: Andrew Edward McKeever DSO, MC & Bar, DFC (21 August 1894 – 25 December 1919) Canadian World War I two-seater flying ace who, in conjunction with his gunners, was credited with 31 victories. He was the highest scoring two seater fighter pilot in the Royal Flying Corps or Royal Air Force.

McKeever was posted back to England on 25 Jan. 1918 and was held there on instructional duty until the last days of the war. During that period the fledgling Canadian Air Force had been organized on 8 July and mobilized in England between 20 and 25 November. On 22 Jan. 1919, after a day’s posting with the Western Ontario Regiment in the CEF, McKeever was seconded to the CAF, with the temporary rank of major. He was subsequently selected by William Avery Bishop* to command 1 Squadron. Despite the efforts of McKeever and others to bring organizational stability to the CAF, it never became firmly established, and at the end of May 1919 Canada’s federal cabinet decided that it should be disbanded. In peacetime the government was simply unwilling to bear the cost of an air force, however small, that had been organized for war. Some officers chose to rejoin the Royal Air Force, others took their release. McKeever’s secondment ended on 16 August and he returned to Listowel, intent on a career in civil aviation.

McKeever had just been appointed general manager of the airfield at Mineola, N.Y., when, on 3 September, he broke his leg in an automobile accident near Mitchell, Ont. The leg was improperly set in Stratford and he was subsequently taken to Toronto General Hospital, where it was reset on 22 December. Complications developed and on Christmas Day he died of cerebral thrombosis at the age of 25. Survived by his parents, two sisters, and four brothers, he was buried at Listowel.

Neal

( 222 KB | 117 Downloads )
Andrew_Edward_McKeever_Marker__Listowel__Ontario.jpg
( 220 KB | 140 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Fighter_fig1.jpg
( 202 KB | 75 Downloads )
Comet_Bristol_F2B_Fighter_fig2.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #50 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Pretty incredible detail Neal, is the base for the gun fabricated from styrene parts? Really enjoying your build and always look forward to your interpretations and history.
New Builder
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint