Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 17 1/4" BEECH STAGGERWING FLIGHT REPT. Feb 26 2018 (Read 553 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
5 Star Member

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND
ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

17 1/4" BEECH STAGGERWING FLIGHT REPT. Feb 26 2018
Feb 27th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
FLIGHT REPORT Mon Feb 26 2018    17 1/4"   Dumas "Beechcraft Staggerwing" bipe

I had this   17 1/4"   Dumas "Beechcraft Staggerwing" bipe ready to go - nose cone removed and all balanced up to the CG marked on the plan, and Total Wing Area is 78 square inches, and the weight is 37.5 grams, prop and motor inclusive.  Wing loading is  0.48 grams per square inch of wing area - so it should have flown.  Weather was sunny at  1:00 PM, and 45 deg F , wind only 12 mph gusting to 19 mph , and only 53% humidity.   Test glides produced a terrible swooping climb upward and then a stall and crash landing nose first into the ground.  I put 50 winds into the rubber anyway and got the same thing.  Then I put in 100 winds into the rubber and still got the same thing - 5 seconds of swooping up in a climb, motor runs out, and the model stalls and crashes straight down into the ground.  Really beating her up.  I went home and took out the prop, thrust button and motor, re-balanced it as per the "10-step Trimming" from John Koptonak  here,
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpages/tips/10step.html
I re-balanced it to the same CG mark on the plan, and went back out to try a few glides (removable cowl only still on),  after re-balancing it this way using no prop or rubber.  It took about 5 grams of modelling clay to balance it.  You can see the grey colored clay in behind the front former bottom.  It was now too windy and my test glides were not conclusive enough, but it seemed to STILL be swooping into a climb and stall.  ?????   By the way, after the first couple of test glides, one of the landing gear doors came off, so I took the other one off also (the glue sure was not holding them on), so much for trying to fly this as a scale looking model.
     By the way, what does "Glide the ship at best L/D" mean in the paragraph of step 2  ???   and how do you "Mark location of new CG" in Step 7 ???
LWM
Richard

Oh yes, there is downthrust already built into the nose as per plan.

( 133 KB | 13 Downloads )
IM006132_1024x768_001.jpg
( 194 KB | 16 Downloads )
IM008019__Custom_.JPG

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint