Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Marcoux Bromberg (Read 10476 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: Marcoux Bromberg
Reply #75 - Jun 26th, 2019 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Hi Gary and thank you for looking in. The built up ribs are for the open area of the wing near the retracts and the spar splices, all else will be solid ribs as you mentioned. Have not been able to communicate as my email developed a strange malady. Could only send but not receive but all is well now, I'll catch up with you soon.
mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #74 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Those ribs look gorgeous.  Too complicated for me.  I just use 1/16" sheet balsa cut to rib shape and go from there. 

Fantastic job!

Gary

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #73 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Progress on the Marcoux Bromberg is slow but steady and my larger reeding has not arrived as yet so on to the wing. The ribs are underway with one done, one on the building board and only three more to go. Seems I'm in a laminating mood these days as I built one of the ribs in the original configuration and when I released it from the building board it turned into a sorry representation of a Clark Y airfoil, so laminating the outline is the way to go. These are only the center section ribs and still need to photo reduce about four of the ribs in the area of the wheel well to show the retracts and the mounting of the retract hardware as well as the splice for the trailing edge area spar. Will cut the spars this week and dye them to match the native mahogany color of the original and can then begin assembly.
Mike

( 112 KB | 20 Downloads )
Rib_General.jpg
( 58 KB | 17 Downloads )
Rib_Structure_001.jpg
( 70 KB | 18 Downloads )
Rib_With_Wing.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #72 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Tom - This is almost how I usually do the soaking. I got my tube from Lowe's and it's about two inches in diameter and they also had lids and did the same glued one on and a slip fit for the other. The home improvement stores here think everybody is a contractor so only eight foot lengths. I was lucky that this little pipe was only three feet long. I tried your method of leaving the wood in the solution for long periods but when I went to get one, it came out in pieces so, clearly, I need to buy better wood.
Mike

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #71 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Tom, that was interesting tip. If I can just remember it may come in handy.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #70 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 1:43am
Print Post  
I went to the Home Depot and bought a 36" pvc pipe and two end caps.  Glued one on one end and left the other to slide off and on.   I fill this with water and cut the reed to 34" and some 1/16" sq balsa and let them soak in this.  I change the water from time to time and a couple drops of bleach to the water to keep down the mold from forming.  When I need some wet reed or balsa for bending...bingo I'm set and just pull out a piece and cut to length.  Pin it to a mold and let her dry!!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #69 - May 31st, 2019 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Tom - I bought the reed you used on the Roland and it was great for canopy hoops and the like. I even soaked it for quite a while in water and found it softened it so I could almost knot it without breaking it. When I started looking at the Marcoux Bromberg drawings, the detail regarding the actual stringers indicated they were 7/8 diameter. In my scale they were .073, slightly larger than the .062 of the reed I originally ordered, then I found another size on Amazon that is just a few thousands under the .073 of the scaled stringer and have decided to use that since it is much closer to the scale size of the actual stringers. I will now have way more than a lifetime supply of round reeding, may have to start building chairs or at least find someone in my area that repairs chairs.
Mike

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #68 - May 30th, 2019 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Interesting how you're using the reed for the stringers.  I'll keep following this build for you ingenuity!  You mention getting some larger diameter reed. There is also some flat reed available you might be interested in looking into.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #67 - May 29th, 2019 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
That stab and elevator are too good. Great job Smiley

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #66 - May 29th, 2019 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Back on the Marcoux Bromberg racer after some delay in getting the fuselage assembly fixture adapted and three outstanding engineering change orders incorporated. Finished the drafting of fuselage station formers and cut out and labeled. Began the tedious process of installing them in the fixture and aligning. the horizontal piece in the traditional keel place is a round reed and is keeping the station pieces aligned. There were 18 stations defined in the drawings and I drafted and cut them all out and when starting to assemble the fuselage, it became apparent that all 18 were not needed, especially in the nose area where the plane is round so omitted about 15% of the stations. I can add them back if needed. Took a look down the fuselage as it stands thinking there would need to be some reshaping of the station pieces but only one looks like a candidate now. Will begin adding the fuselage stringers in the locations outlined in the drawings and they will be 1/16 dia. round reeding. The one I have now looks like it may be visually too small, will try a few and maybe order the next size up. I'm back for the duration and aside from mowing and planting, will get it done.
Mike

( 91 KB | 20 Downloads )
Fuselage_Formers.jpg
( 133 KB | 16 Downloads )
Fuselage_Assy_Fixture_1.jpg
( 70 KB | 17 Downloads )
Fuselage_Assy_Fixture_2.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #65 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Amazing how great minds think alike.  Back and forth from airframe to cockpit and outside again.  It's a wonder we ever see any progress.  Not to worry.  We'll see the end.  You're doing great.  The horizontal stab/ elevator will be good.  Don't see what the issue is.  Maybe I missed something?

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #64 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Decided to set aside the elevator assembly for a while to give it some room to float around in my mind for another solution so turned to finishing the fuselage former design. To create these I needed to layout and measure the formers from the top and side view drawings, taking the available height and width of the fuselage at the relative stations. W. F. Kerka used the actual stations and there are 18 of them so the development took a couple of hours spread out over quite a few days. It all looks relatively simple but blending the curves to the actual outline when it is not shown except in photos makes for some time at the drawing board. Next week I'm off to the copy center for a copy as is and a copy in mirror image so to be able to cut them apart, tape them back together in their correct orientation and make the formers. Will also need to go to the workshop and modify my assembly fixture to accommodate all the formers and then probably another blending exercise to make the fuselage flow correctly. At that point, just another stick and tissue model, ....sorta.

From there and while in the assembly fixture, I'll begin assembly of the wing starting with the rib layout and building along with the front and rear spar. Like Gary says, it all seems to go back to the cockpit so the wing fuselage joining will be interesting, a lot of interconnecting features going on there. More to come.
Mike

( 45 KB | 16 Downloads )
Airframe_Overview.jpg
( 48 KB | 16 Downloads )
Overview_Left.jpg
( 46 KB | 13 Downloads )
Overview_Right.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #63 - Mar 23rd, 2019 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Woke up in the night thinking about the Marcoux Bromberg and how the elevator would not descend beyond the tail section of the fuselage, so today was surgery day. Laid out the cut with yellow tape and began cutting and at about a dozen slices, felt the knife exit the far side. Took off the tape and started to pick out the cutout and came up with two halves, not what I needed today. Was able to glue one side securely with CA and aligned the two pieces and added a temporary brace. When the glue is dry will add one to the far side, smooth out the rather ugly cuts and add the elevator to the horizontal stab. Better luck from here on out...hopefully.
Mike

( 128 KB | 16 Downloads )
Broken_Hinge_1.jpg
( 107 KB | 15 Downloads )
Broken_Hinge_2.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #62 - Mar 21st, 2019 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Great work.  I know exactly what you mean about adjusting to the tablet.  My antique iPhone 4 gave out and I was "forced" to upgrade to iPhone X!  Wow, what a change!  still scratching my head what happened.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #61 - Mar 20th, 2019 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Hi Gary - Thanks for the nice words and a little progress is all right with me, nothing but time so can experiment and do it right. Trying a new photo method. These pics came from my tablet and is light years ahead of my simple digital camera I have been using. Needs an extra step to move them from my tablet to my computer but seems to be worth the effort. These pics show the assembly of the elevator and the horizontal stab. Need to get to the store for some epoxy to bond the hinges to the horizontal stab then add the top covering, add the tips, sand, etc. As mentioned earlier, back to the wing.
Mike

( 90 KB | 17 Downloads )
Elevator_Stab_1.jpg
( 101 KB | 16 Downloads )
Elevator_Stab_2.jpg
( 115 KB | 15 Downloads )
Elevator_Stab_3.jpg
( 112 KB | 17 Downloads )
Elevator_Stab_4.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint