Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dumas kit #405 Bulldog Racer (Read 6459 times)
Alfredo Arbe
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Dumas kit #405 Bulldog Racer
Reply #41 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Smiley
Loved the racer!! didnt know about about that model

IP Logged

griffin
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
You have climbed the peak and tamed the summit with your paint scheme. In all seriousness, it must be the most deftly accomplished I've seen adorning a model airplane. True art!

IP Logged

heywooood
4 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #39 - Sep 18th, 2018 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Well thank you griffin - I appreciate that!
This was a fun build, as were all of the Dumas racers I have done. Itís also a really neat subject with
those gull wings and big, barrel shaped fuselage. The paint scheme was the most difficult I have ever attempted.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood

IP Logged

griffin
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Sep 17th, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
My gosh, Heywooood this is absolutely stunning work!!!  I had the wife pinch me to make certain I wasn't dreaming. If this is not your day job, consider dropping it. Your work is amazing Cheesy Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

John Webster
3 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #37 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
I was hoping for a set of finished photos of that beauty.

When you begin to fly you are issued two bags, one full of luck and an empty one for experience.&&The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #36 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Great build HB.... Very nicely done.  Can't wait for your next project.  Gary

IP Logged

heywooood
4 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #35 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
I use a semi-gloss clear spray lacquer or acrylic either from Tamiya or Testors in the rattle can - it caused very minor 'sweating' of the white pinstripes and only in the creases around the vertical tail (where it tended to linger or 'pool' a bit) and was simple to touch up with either the red or the black paint on a fine brush..

also - I use both black and silver Sharpie 'ink' pens occasionally - not on this model, but on others - and the silver ink has interacted with the semi-gloss coat if I put those lines down before spraying..but as it's only used for details and small bits - and the silver tends to stay put, I now only use that color AFTER the gloss coats are applied.

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #34 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Thanks - it turns out very well.† Do you put any kind of sealant coat over it?† I've used a silver Sharpie paint pen to make grills on black tissue, but found that it would streak if brushed over with thinned nitrate dope.  I was able to make useable grills by lightly flowing (vs brushing) the dope on, but I'd hesitate to try that on a large pinstriped area like you've got on your Bulldog.

Mike

IP Logged

heywooood
4 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #33 - May 27th, 2018 at 10:18am
Print Post  
for the pinstripes I used a Sharpie poster paint pen in white.

I painted the base red - then masked for the black accents using the templates in the model's instruction pamphlet.

Once the black paint was dry - one full day - I left the masking tape on and just traced along the edges of the tape..keeping the tip of the marker pressed firmly against the masking tape edge. Making two passes and allowing the white paint to dry thoroughly between passes. It dries quickly so only 90 minutes between passes.

Then peel away the masks and a few minor touch up spots and it looks ok
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2018 at 1:22pm by heywooood »  

( 57 KB | 18 Downloads )
SBcXypw.jpg

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #32 - May 27th, 2018 at 8:45am
Print Post  
I'll pile on here - your Bulldog really looks spectacular.  What's your technique for the white pinstripes separating the black and red?

Mike

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #31 - May 26th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
What a gorgeous, inspiring build! I absolutely love it!

IP Logged

heywooood
4 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #30 - May 26th, 2018 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the encouragement, Mike - I appreciate it very much. These Dumas air racer kits are just terrific.

( 108 KB | 14 Downloads )
3m5XPV5.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #29 - May 26th, 2018 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
I knew this was going to be a spectacular build and the color and execution is right on. Great job all around.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

heywooood
4 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #28 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on May 25th, 2018 at 12:08pm:
WoW, absolute knockout!!!† Love red and black combo.† The lettering on the wing is fantastic!† Well done! Smiley

I never really paid much attention to these 1930's racers but it was THE pivotal moment in aviation. This air frame to my eyes is one of the most stunning ever produced. The bold colors and pinstripes make it an absolute show stopper. Looking at it it's hard to imagine it not winning every race it flew.
You can see the lines of the Grumman Wildcat in the fuselage - That underrated fighter helped stave off disaster in the Pacific and was instrumental in the eventual victory...Quite a legacy for Bert Hall

IP Logged

heywooood
4 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #27 - May 25th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Race Day

( 79 KB | 18 Downloads )
6RwLqjs.jpg
( 110 KB | 25 Downloads )
xJYZPxJ.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint