Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My no-torque No-Cal Defiant story (Read 2652 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: My no-torque No-Cal Defiant story
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Lazypilot, its all about what you like. Do you want to do, just build or fly or build that museum piece. It does not matter, just enjoy what you build and fly as much as you can.

Bob

IP Logged

Lazypilot

I loved my Sleek Streek!

My no-torque No-Cal Defiant story
Apr 27th, 2018 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Goober says Hey!
  And now Lazypilot says hey, too.  I just joined this site and read the Starship thread. That airplane has always amazed me, and Tom's model is a piece of wood working art.
  I lack either the skill or patience or both to build Tom's plane, but a couple years ago I had a brainstorm and built a not-very-scale rubber powered Rutan Defiant. This is the centerline thrust push-pull (or is it pull-push?) twin engine canard designed by Burt Rutan.
  The "brainstorm" that inspired me to make it came from when I watched a fully wound profile "No-Cal" airplane fly indoors at the AMA show. The airplane's fuselage twisted noticeably, and so I thought that if I were to drive a fwd tractor prop and a rear pusher prop using the same rubber motor then no torque would be applied to the fuselage, which to my way of thinking would allow for a lighter structure, as only compression loads would apply to it.
  This thread is inspiring me to take another whack at it, this time using a fully built up fuselage, my first and so far last one was a Dollar Tree Foam profile model. It did fly but I was so sidetracked with making fancy variable pitch propellers that were, shall I say, "problematic", I really didn't get much from it. I also experimented with combining balsa and other materials with the foam and so the whole thing didn't get far.
  So this time I'll try harder to stay focused on just getting a Defiant built and flying, no small task for me and my heavy-duty ADD.   I didn't get the "HD" part, that's why I'm a Lazypilot. My real name is Steve Corbin, my 15 minutes came with my invention of the Sling Wing, a catapult launched folding wing flying wing. So with all that out of the way, I'm looking fwd to enjoying this fine site.

From the Sleek Streek to the Hobie Hawk and oh yeah the Sling Wing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint