Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guillow's P-51D Mustang (yep, another one) (Read 93887 times)
Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Re: Guillow's P-51D Mustang (yep, another one)
Reply #51 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
This is where Flite Metal truly "shines."  Its a wee bit brighter in that metallic highly polished look.  The amount of effort to achieve the rivet details isn't as difficult to produce as on the vinyl.  You can also see the jagged edges of Flite Metal to really illustrate that we're really dealing with metal here.  The vinyl appears "soft" by comparison.

( 354 KB | 69 Downloads )
C_V_24_2.JPG

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #50 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Flite Metal, unlike the chrome vinyl, is truly a thick aluminum foil.  Its real, honest-to-God metal.  **However, they both look the same from a viewpoint of seeing highly polished metal surfaces.  Upon peeling off the backing paper, the adhesion on the back of the foil is truly strong.  Once it's stuck onto the surface, it's REALLY stuck! Now I understand why it won't bubble or gas out.  That Flite Metal is gonna stay wherever its stuck.  Be very careful when handling the material once the backing is peeled off, or it'll stick to your fingers and really mess up your plans to locate the cut panel into place on your model. 

One of the suggestions that was mentioned was to take some fine grade steel wool and rub it over the surface to achieve a more muted affect as opposed to that shiny, highly polished look.  They also mention that to do this method to varying degrees such that the final results will have different metal panels being able to easily seen from one another. 

Photo # 11 shows my limited effort to use fine grade steel wool.  The top portion shows the natural state of Flite Metal and the bottom shows my small "haze" finished after rubbing the surface with steel wool.  Personally, I'm going for the whole highly polished look on my Mustang, but this technique is very useful for those who wish to impart the illusion of different panels being placed right next to each other and gives the overall metallic finish a more of a dynamic look instead of a near-monochromatic look of all panels literally looking alike such that they'r practically indistinguishable. 

In all fairness, I should've cut out both pieces and place them on my faux fuselage to help give them a true representation of the different panels.  I used the small pounce wheel in between to help visually separate the two pieces and to help give it some scale.

By the way, that scratch mark is just one of many "imperfections" that were present on the surface of the  roll when I received it in the mail.

( 82 KB | 58 Downloads )
Chrome_Vinyl___Flite_11.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #49 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
This installment is about the more expensive alternative called: Flite Metal.  They advertise as THE way to go in modeling natural metal finishes.  They also claim that it won't "bubble" up or "gas out" as in chrome vinyl and can stand temperatures up to 375 degrees, which makes for having models on display in the bright sunlight in the middle of August a nonissue.  Before proceeding forward: I'd like to say a disclaimer: I didn't follow the Flite Metal exact instructions because they make use of masking tapes and such their videos don't have captioning, which for me, makes it very difficult.  I'd like to ask for volunteers in this area and then the presentation would be more fair for Flite Metal as well as for the previous thread of chrome Vinyl.  That being said, on with the "show."

First off, Flite Metal is about twice as expensive as chrome vinyl and you get about half as much material to boot.  So, you could look at it as if it's about 3 1/2 to four times more expensive as chrome vinyl.  However, for those who wish to have a true natural metal finish, or to achieve a particular detailing that is absolutely necessary for that ultimate finish, well, expense is just one of those things we all pay a price to achieve our goal of modeling perfection.

Flight Metal arrived via mail in  a very sturdy tube that is thick enough to withstand a truck to run over it.  It was also difficult to open.  The first two feet of the twelve feet total in the roll was ragged; meaning the surfaces were scratched, had deep scores, ripples, and generally had anything but a smooth surface to which one would expect for such a product, especially considering the heavy mailing tube..  I relayed this io the folks at Flite Metal and they simply said "That happens once in awhile."   Hmmmm

Okay, having said that, let's go onto the next post with the product itself and the means to which I used to apply and from there we can compare.  I will also summarize my findings in the Cafe' section for the benefit of those who haven't scrolled through all of the builds.

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #48 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Slky9:
Thank you very much!  Wait 'til you see this next installment on the Flite Metal.  Then we all can compare.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #47 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
WoW Skye...with that chrome you'll have a Reno Racer finish on that P-51!!!  The rivets look real good.   Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #46 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I'm starting off with chrome vinyl here.  It's very easy to work with.  It comes with its own sticky backing which you peel off and then stick the vinyl to wherever you wish.  It's very pliable, soft, you can install rivets by using a pounce wheel (a small wheel with spikes) on the back before peeling off the backing.  Use just a straight edge to help line up the pounce wheel and press relatively hard down on the surface and you get great results.  They appear tiny bumps, but taken altogether, they can easily pass for small rivets.  Just know ahead of time, that both chrome vinyl and Flite Metal requires that you cut each panel separately and apply them from the rear of the fuselage forward to the nose and from the root of the wings out to the tips.

Photo # 10 shows that I've applied a coating of primer on top of the wood filler and sanded both very smooth down to using 400 wet and dry sandpaper.  I purposely left the middle exposed balsa.

Photo # 15 shows me using the pounce wheel on the back to produce the simulated rivets.  The pounce wheel can easily be purchased through MicroMark's vast catalog of modeling tools and accessories and I highly recommend using them.  They're not cheap, but you get what you paid for and from my own personal experiences, their products is of very good to excellent quality.  If you can find a similar product through say, Harbor Freight or other hardware stores, or an arts and crafts store, then by all means please check out their products as well.

Photo # 5 shows the results of the chrome vinyl applied after peeling off the sticky backing.  Be careful here and start working out the bubbles from the center outward.  This is where the vinyl shines.  You can easily peel it off in certain parts to  help realign the patch of vinyl and press down again.  Its very soft and easy to the touch.  Just make sure you worked out all the bubbles and also makes sure that the balsa wood grain is truly filled in.  Better still, use say, plastic or anything that doesn't have any open pores or grain and the vinyl will stick just fine. 

Photo # 9 shows its main disadvantage.  Bubbling or 'gassing out."  Its susceptible to even mild heat (room temps were between 75-80 degrees.  Admittedly I didn't fill in the whole faux fuselage and also didn't prime the ends at this point.  So, its really important to make sure that the surface that its to be applied is thoroughly filled, sanded, primed, and sanded again really smooth and glassy.  Make sure its really clean too. 

Photo # 8 shows the leftover strip of vinyl casually draping over my fingers.  Very pliable and soft.  No issues here and no worries about sharp edges to cut fingers. 

Photo # 4 shows that the chrome vinyl (and Flite Metal) can easily be peeled back after application.  The surfaces after peeling back the chrome vinyl generally remains relatively smooth and maybe only requires just a touch of 400 wet-n-dry sandpaper.  More on the Flite Metal later.

Overall, aside from the potential bubbliing, chrome vinyl is easy and forgiving to work with for people like me who never has done this sort of thing before and has ten thumbs. 

I'll post my results on Flite Metal tomorrow.  You'll be in for a treat and some surprises.

( 120 KB | 64 Downloads )
Chrome_Vinyl___Flite_10.jpg
( 92 KB | 51 Downloads )
P-51_15_001.jpg
( 82 KB | 61 Downloads )
Chrome_Vinyl_5.jpg
( 87 KB | 59 Downloads )
Chrome_vinyl_9_001.jpg
( 108 KB | 67 Downloads )
Chrome_Vinyl___Flite_8.jpg
( 80 KB | 64 Downloads )
Chrome_Vinyl___Flite_4.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #45 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Mike, and fellow members: thank you for your support.  I've finished (tentatively) my experiment on chrome vinyl and the Flite Metal and its really quite different between the two.  Chrome vinyl is just what the name implies, a vinyl that is chrome covered (or colored).  Flite Metal on the other hand is truly a heavy aluminum foil on sticky back paper.   

I've filled in my faux fuselage and primed it.  Afterward, I sanded it smooth.  Granted, what I'm about to reveal, is that I didn't closely follow the instructions of Flite Metal and they should be given the benefit of doubt in this case. 

I'm also going to post some of the results in Cafe' as part of an open-ended discussion for everyone to participate.  So, if you've got an idea or know more about Flite Metal, please feel free to jump right in either here on this thread or in the Cafe.' 

I'll start with the advantages and disadvantages on my next post.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #44 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Give it the good ol Gary effort and it will be another masterpiece. Watching with enthusiasm.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #43 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Craig,
Good evening.  LoL....
Given how you've done such a masterful job on the DGA-3 "Mr. Mulligan," I know I'll be under the very watchful eye of a very experienced and knowledgeable modeler.  Oy!  I can feel the pressure now...   Just hope to do the best I can.  If you've got any suggestions I'd love to hear 'em.

Or, any comments will also be welcomed.  This is great.

Thank you!

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #42 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I can't wait to see your interior detail work on this one. Give your attention to detail, I know it's gonna be a stunner!

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #41 - Aug 5th, 2018 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Followed New Builder's advice and ordered some instruments from JTec.  Hoping to save myself a lot of building time.  The S.E.5 was a challenge in that each instrument was custom made specific to that biplane.  Whoa.  With the Mustang, I figured I'd be working on those instruments well into the following year. 

In the meantime, I'll be doing a bit more research into Big Beautiful Doll and working on my experiments for the vinyl coverings and will post my results.  I came across some amazing pictures of BBD and I noted the small holes for the cooler are painted white to match the checkered patterns.  I've seen other photos of the same holes left in natural metal.  Interesting.

( 115 KB | 73 Downloads )
P-51_58.jpg
( 117 KB | 78 Downloads )
P-51_60.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #40 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Mike,

Thank you!!  Really needed to hear that!!  I'm now 69 going on 45 acting 35 going on 10.  I sometimes drive my wife up the wall with my behavior -in a good (sort of) way.   Sky9 will tell you my trip to where I am now is not without peril.   Almost died twice: 2000 from cancer (was given only a 30% chance of survival) and March of this year (from pneumonia, where they had to surgically insert a feeding tube).

I thought I'd show some "before" and "after" sanding shots of my just-finished 1st layer of planking.  Photographically speaking, the close ups of the belly scoop areas really show the difference between sandings.  Here's where I drive my wife up the wall.  I just finished sanding the 1st layer while wearing my good slacks before going to work.  She'll have to have them either washed (again) or sent to the cleaners.  You'd think I would've changed clothes before commencing to one of the more "dirtier" parts of modeling..... Nah...     Cool

( 107 KB | 72 Downloads )
P-51_56.jpg
( 118 KB | 70 Downloads )
P-51_53.jpg
( 118 KB | 70 Downloads )
P-51_52.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #39 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Done something right??? Sounds like amazing success to me and staying calm, I'll work on it but at my age, well maybe some success. Great work and I'm watching and appreciating.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #38 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
NB and Sky9,
Good morning and I thank you both for your words of encouragement.  I'm nearing the stage of where I'll have to start on the interior and go from there.  That Mustang is crammed with dials and instruments all over the place and for such a small area, it'll be s challenge just to get half of them in. 

I'll also be treading waters I've never done before; the infilling and the use of either (or both) chrome vinyl and Flite Metal for the exterior.  As previously posted, the wings offer the most interesting aspect of the whole "natural metal" look that I'm seeking, since they were puttied over most of the area with an exception of the leading and trailing edges. 

Patience is from learning how to stay calm after raising two rambunctious, overly excitable, very active, hair-pulling, marvelous and loving,.,,,,, (ahem) ,,,,,
kids.    Daughter is now a surgical nurse practitioner and my son as of this writing is in Sao Paulo, Brazil, helping them to reestablish their computer network systems.   So, I must've done something right.....  Tongue

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #37 - Aug 2nd, 2018 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Great progress and I'm betting this will be another on the par with the SE5. I've seen your instrument production methods and must say you have unbelievable patience.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47
Send TopicPrint