Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Guillow's P-51D Mustang (yep, another one) (Read 93903 times)
Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Re: Guillow's P-51D Mustang (yep, another one)
Reply #456 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Ouch!!  Thank you for the correction.  I shall commence immediately....

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #455 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Do you mean 'nourished' spelled as 'nurished'?

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #454 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Of course, there's always a bit of "artistic license" and this was no different.  In fact, I took the humorous route.  Sooo, as a loving father, this Mustang will be given to my daughter for display and as usual, I couldn't resist.  I produce this data plate that will be mounted along the upper right side near the canopy rail for all to see (if the tiny letters are legible).

Can anyone spot the slight alteration?
« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2020 at 8:06pm by Skyediamonds »  

( 134 KB | 54 Downloads )
P-51_Stenciling___11A.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #453 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Here, the photos basically speak for themselves and you can easily see the laborious process involved in making just one stencil.  I spray painted black electrical tape white.  The reason why I used black electrical tape is for its flexibility.

From there, I laid out the tape and cut it up into thin strips.

The circles were cut out from paper using a compass for guidance.

The last photo shows me putting on the final letters.

( 104 KB | 40 Downloads )
P-51_Stenciling___13A.jpg
( 92 KB | 42 Downloads )
P-51_Stenciling___14A.jpg
( 101 KB | 43 Downloads )
P-51_Stencling___18A.jpg
( 144 KB | 39 Downloads )
P-51_Stenciling___15A_001.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #452 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
I was able to obtain off of the Internet, the detailed instructions for the pilot.  It was from this photo I tried to transfer the stencil to the printer.  Unfortunately, this particular image was blurry.  So I took the liberty of making my own stencil.  I went to the local arts and crafts store and purchased some dry transfer letters both in black as well as white of various sizes.  From there, I will be taking a picture of it (& others) from a distance away that will (hopefully) reflect the correct scale.  As you can see, there's a lot of information for him/her to read!  I was able to determine that the thickness of the photographic paper wasn't going to be an issue and decided this route.  Besides, in addition to the stencils there are several data plates made of metal festooned all over the cockpit. 

Depending upon the clarity of the images, I'll also be printing some additional stencils and having them transferred to decal paper and see what happens.  This will be primarily confined to such items as the on top of the throttle quadrant and other areas where thickness of the paper might be an issue. 

I suppose you may be wondering why all the fuss when it's going to be buried deep within a small 1/15th scale cockpit and no one will be able to read it.  This is where my OCD kicks in with pride..... Tongue

( 80 KB | 35 Downloads )
P-51_Stenciling___18A.png
( 144 KB | 48 Downloads )
P-51_Stenciling___15A.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #451 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
This is a left side view of the full sized Mustang.  Looking closely, down near the long red handle and just in front of the large elevator trim wheel is the small squared stencil that explains to the pilot how to operate the landing gear.  This is the stencil I was describing that is located near his left ankle.  Imagine him with his parachute harness, flight gear, perhaps even wearing a "Mae West" life vest trying to bend over and stick his head down there while sitting in a bucket seat.

( 181 KB | 50 Downloads )
P-51_cockpit_interior___15A_006.png
( 116 KB | 43 Downloads )
P-51_cockpit_interior_CAD___9A.png

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #450 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
As you can see, I've been busy.  I'll post some additional pictures to illustrate my approach to the stencils and even share a bit of humor.

Cheers,

Gary

( 155 KB | 40 Downloads )
P-51_Stenciling___16A.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #449 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Sky9:

Thank you for words of encouragement as well.  I've done lots of thinking to the point where my head hurts.  Haven't felt that since my college days.....

I'm currently working on fabricating many of the cockpit stencils.  The Musang is notorious for stencils.  They've got a long-winded stencil nearly at the pilot's ankle explaining how to operated the landing gear handle.  I think the engineers were abused children........

I'll post a few in just a bit.

Cheers,

Gary

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #448 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
She's coming along great...the thinking is all part of the process! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #447 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Mike,

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  Sometimes we all hit that roadblock and stops all construction until we forge ahead.   This model requires lots of planning ahead prior to the next step or even the next stage.

For example, given that the finished foil covering is fragile, I have to finish: the cockpit interior (due to handling the fuselage while detailing), the wing and tail fillets, the front windshield to fuselage, the canopy rails, and any details associated with the lower scoop.  Then, and only then, will I feel that the fuselage and the rest of the model is ready for covering with the foil  Once the foil is in place, it'll be kid's gloves from that point forward.  Any details I might've overlooked will have to be either carefully applied or worst, ignored.

Got lots of time to think on this one.  So far, I've done pretty good on the thinking part.....  Roll Eyes

Gary

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #446 - Jun 4th, 2020 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Quote:
Modeling sometimes involves flexibility in taking a different approach to find the answer to solving a problem

Gary, I'm right there beside you on this. I think I have spent more time looking for the right solution than actually using the final solution. It doesn't hurt that all this is truly great fun and allows us to go to any depths we want for the best outcome. Keep up the great work and all is coming along just great.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #445 - Jun 1st, 2020 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Sky9,

That's an interesting concept.  I would imagine there must be precise "injection" of water at specific volumes to affect only those areas where the dents are located using a syringe and needle.  I'm also wondering if that water would only confine itself to the damaged surface, or would the same water also soak through to the other side of the stab that isn't damaged.

Then there's that possibility of weakening the whole structure, or the potential of molds, as wood and water make great combinations. 

In answer to what may be a lot of people's questions as to how I approached this problem. I carefully peeled off the whole covering ( it was done in one piece).  From there, I sanded smooth as best as possible without taking away too much of the balsa material.  Then I added Spackling Compound (mud) to the whole surface, not just the damaged areas.  After the compound dried overnight, I sanded the results with first, # 360 sand paper and ended with a fine-grained # 400 sand paper to carefully blend everything together. 

All of this repairing was done over a thick soft tissue so as to avoid any additional damage to the other side that was also covered.  Or, if I hand-held it, it was just by the leading and trailing edges very carefully.  This was done for: 1) I knew that I had already used super glue to the previous covering and therefore handling the leading and trailing edges would be "okay" and 2) to avoid any fingerprints to the previously covered surface on the other side.

Once everything was repaired, a quick masking of the areas around the perimeter from the trailing edge at the root, around the tip and back to the leading edge near the root was done.  Then a quick spray of primer to ensure anything that might've been overlooked was sanded smooth as well as preparing the surface again for covering.  The primer also served to harden the balsa. 

I also reapplied super glue around the perimeter and to the cutout areas that would be subjected to high stress of the application of Flite Metal covering due to the small confined areas.  This was done to make the balsa hard.

The Flite Metal foil was then recovered -but extra carefully to ensure that proper coverage and that the other side was not damaged.  Lots of extra work?  Yes.  Was it worth it?  Of course.

This is all part of the new skill set.  In addition to applying the foil, this new learning also meant how to carefully handle the model and its components to minimize any potential damage or fingerprints.  Does it all make the model somewhat more fragile?  In someways, to me it does.  It's a trade off between the desired finish and the ability to handle the model.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #444 - May 28th, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Sorry to see the damage to the horizontal stab.  the vertical stab looks great!  Is there anyway to smooth out the stab dents?  I was wondering if you could stick with a pin point in a couple of places of the dent and add some water to see if the balsa would swell up and smooth out the dent???

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #443 - May 28th, 2020 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Final results.  Only need to add black paint on the tip of the fin, rivet details and some extra metal hatches.  I'll show those steps later during the  build.  Hope this has been inspiring and entertaining enough for you to try and challenge yourselves to make your next modeling project covered in natural metal.  Cessna-195?  F-100 SuperSaber?

( 118 KB | 52 Downloads )
P-51_tail_feathers_-model___107A.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #442 - May 28th, 2020 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
The secret here is to cut small tabs at the curved section and then carefully pull each tab over.  Some will overlap each other and this is okay.  Rub down vigorously and the tabs disappear.  I could've covered the whole fin in one piece, but the drawings and photos show there are two distinct large pieces of sheet metal covering the dorsal/fin area.

( 109 KB | 42 Downloads )
P-51_tail_feathers_-model___122A.jpg
( 95 KB | 44 Downloads )
P-51_tail_feathers_-model___121A.jpg
( 112 KB | 44 Downloads )
P-51_tail_feathers_-model___120A.jpg
( 91 KB | 42 Downloads )
P-51_tail_feathers_-model___105A.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47
Send TopicPrint