Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2018-2019 Fall Cookup Whitman/Ott &/or Peanut Scal (Read 143975 times)
neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Re: 2018-2019 Fall Cookup Whitman/Ott &/or Peanut Scal
Reply #769 - May 28th, 2019 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Tom, your Jack is done so well! I'm not that familiar with tissue but can see where the grain direction can cause differing results. I'm glad you mentioned that so I can avoid similar circumstances. Did you pre shrink? Are you using domestic tissue if so what brand? Still going with the yellow orange nose and wing/vertical stab? Or can I convince you to do the lightning bolts Wink
Either way, with you "at the stick" i know this will be true eye candy! Cheering you on,

Neoflight

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #768 - May 27th, 2019 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Tom, the Raden looks good. You only poked it 3 times? I usually break stringers with my fingers locking and poke the tissue several times while twirling in my chair a hitting something on the desk.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #767 - May 27th, 2019 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
In my hurry to take some pics I tacked on the vertical stab backwards and shot 4 shot before I realized it just didn't look right!!! Embarrassed Cry  It was just gluestick tacked on so easy to redo and reshoot.  Here's the pics...
I still need to do the wing fairings and this will involve the lower leading edge of the wing at the fuselage, so no tissue there yet.  I only poked my finger through the tissue in two places and knocked the pilot out of the cockpit about 3 times before I left him out till the tissue was mostly completed.  I used green and grey Easy Built tissue.  I've had pretty good luck with this tissue and it comes in many more colors.

( 39 KB | 62 Downloads )
tissue_1st_1.jpg
( 41 KB | 69 Downloads )
tissue_1st_2.jpg
( 39 KB | 60 Downloads )
tissue_1st_3.jpg
( 59 KB | 58 Downloads )
tissue_1st_4.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #766 - May 27th, 2019 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I do not like the ribs with top and bottom airfoil. I cannot not get the tissue to align with the LE and TE and become tight, not a sagging mess. I cut the bottoms off the ribs for the Coonley just for that reason.

Bob

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #765 - May 27th, 2019 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Tapping my foot in anticipation. This is gonna be good Smiley
Can't wait!!

Neoflight

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #764 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Got some tissue applied today.  I had to redo one wing panel because I just didn't like the way it looked.  The wing construction with the airfoil on top and bottom left the shrinking dipping too much between ribs.  So I turned the grain on the tissue from root to tip...which I thought I'd done on the first try.   Embarrassed Cry Cheesy Wink
Pictures to follow later after the tissue on the bottom of the wing shrinks. 
I'll definitely build the wing in one piece next time.  This way of gluing the panels onto the extensions of the formers just doesn't cut for me. Took forever for me to get the wing aligned and with the proper dihedral...still not sure there's enough dihedral...we'll see!
Tom

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #763 - May 26th, 2019 at 12:45am
Print Post  
I enjoyed his autobiography years ago.  I thought it interesting that the number of planes shot down was low by Japanese accounting and his personal account was around 64 aircraft shot down.  But then their whole way of accounting for downed aircraft was by the group/shutai (I believe) they didn't  go by personal count but rather to build the teamwork concept.  He was wounded and lost one eye, towards the end of the war and spent a long time back in the hospital in Tokyo.  But the war was going against Japan and he was brought back and flew with one eye at the end of the war!  If you haven't read his bio I would encourage you to read it.  There are several articles on the net as well.  One account tells how he and two of his fellow pilots went back to the airfield they had just bombed with 500 pounders rigged under their Zeros and they all flew loops over the airfield.  Their commander got a letter dropped by a B-25 later that day or the next telling of the escapades and invited them back, where a warmer welcome would be waiting for them, was promised!... Cheesy Wink
It's interesting to read from the personal perspectives of all the various pilots from all sides.  History is always stranger than fiction!
Here's a brief account of Sakai: Click Here
I had thought because it was a land based aircraft it wasn't Navy...oops...Wikipedia said-The Mitsubishi J2M Raiden (雷電, "Thunderbolt") is a single-engined land-based fighter aircraft used by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service in World War II. The Allied reporting name was "Jack".
Tom

IP Logged

93rdLiberator
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #762 - May 25th, 2019 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Saburo looks very happy indeed.  I just finished reading his autobiography and he talks about this machine with great fondness.  Can't wait to see it in the air!!

Dan

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #761 - May 25th, 2019 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
That's looking wonderful Tom Smiley Your craftsmanship really shows in this model. I love the addition of Saburo Sakai. I know he was involved with the last IJNAF raid on B32  and B29s. I'd have to look in my copy of Samurai by Martin Caiden but something haunts my mind in thinking he did have a sortie in the Jack. The J2M2 was indeed primarily a Japanese Navy plane.

It appears Mr.Sakai approves of your fine work!

( 24 KB | 54 Downloads )
340px-Sakai_Cockpit_A5M.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #760 - May 25th, 2019 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Everything is lookin' good, Tom...including Sakai!  Wonder if he ever flew a Raiden?  Well...he's about to now.  Wink Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #759 - May 25th, 2019 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Tom, the Raden looks good, but the pilot is great.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #758 - May 25th, 2019 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Bit more done today...nose block/front of cowling...sheeting of the nose.  I couldn't bring myself to use the paper from the plan for the cowl.  I did use it to cut fan shaped pieces of 1/32" balsa to cover the first station between formers 1&2.  Then sanded that all down to the nose block/cowling. I then repainted the cockpit after looking at some colored pictures and it looked like the cockpit interior is light grey.  So I used some light grey acrylic I got in the hobby supply isle at Wally World.  I followed Mike Kelley's idea and downloaded a picture of a 1/5 scale pilot side view and glue sticked it to some 1/32" balsa to give me the pilot in the cockpit.  I believe it was suppose to be Saburo Sakai "The Samurai of the Sky" although he was a Navy pilot and this is an Army aircraft/land based.

I'll move on to the prop and chin scoop, although it's not on the plan, next week.  Busy weekend so no building on Sunday.  I'll start the tissue then as well. 

Bob...you've persuaded me to do the orange/yellow scheme over green.  I think it will be a nice looking scheme. 
Tom

( 62 KB | 49 Downloads )
noseblock_pilot_1.jpg
( 59 KB | 49 Downloads )
noseblock_pilot_2.jpg
( 66 KB | 46 Downloads )
noseblock_pilot_3.jpg
( 45 KB | 45 Downloads )
noseblock_pilot_4.jpg
( 41 KB | 53 Downloads )
noseblock_pilot_5.jpg
( 58 KB | 44 Downloads )
noseblock_pilot_6.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #757 - May 22nd, 2019 at 10:34pm
Print Post  
What do mean, nothing to shout about. You have run through this build really fast plus you've done my least favorite part. SANDING.

She is looking fine.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #756 - May 22nd, 2019 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Nothing to shout about today...just sanding and sanding and more sanding!  I did cut out the control panel from plan and glue it to the former in the cockpit.  I used a black marker to cover all the balsa in the cockpit area and the window area behind former #5.  So when she's covered in tissue the bare balsa won't show.  I also laminated the cowling pieces for later shaping and laminated the round nose/prop block.  More later...
Tom

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #755 - May 21st, 2019 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
That's looking great Tom. Wish I were as speedy as  you. Thanks for the explanation on building the fuse alignment jig. Seems like every time I think I'm comfortable with balsa I learn of some new nuance. Such a fickle, I should better say intriguing, lady she is.

Neo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54
Send TopicPrint