Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Howard DGA-6 Mr Mulligan- For a friend flown west (Read 15925 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: Howard DGA-6 Mr Mulligan- For a friend flown west
Reply #67 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Tom, impressive list of instrument panels.

Skyediamonds, Love the  craftsmanship that you are putting into the seat. Smiley

Bob

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #66 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Craig,

That speaks for both of us.  How are you doing?  Heywoood, I responded to your PM.

IP Logged

heywooood
5 Star Member

it's a Mystery

Reply #65 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Hi, Craig - just poked through this build thread and I love what I'm seeing.

Hope all is well with you and look forward to any updates on the Mr. Mulligan project

"you made that from a box full of sticks?...What is WRONG with you!!"...Mrs. Heywooood
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbAea8pF8VufHtNr9mQv1Iw

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #64 - Aug 21st, 2018 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Craig,

I've got extra seat belts for the DGA-6 is you're still interested.  I've enclosed a sample photo to show how they look. I made a lot of them for my PT-17 project and knew I would need some left over for future projects.  As the  photos show, I cut out a canvas bag for a folding chair.  The canvas had a nice weave pattern.  From there, it was just a matter pf using lots of masking tape that was stripped thin and painted over.  From there, it was just a matter of cutting as many strips as desired for my needs.  The results turned out pretty decent.  PM me if your'e interested. 

Gary (Skye)

( 75 KB | 70 Downloads )
PT-17_seat_belts_1.jpg
( 117 KB | 73 Downloads )
PT-17_seat_belts_2.jpg
( 152 KB | 72 Downloads )
PT-17_seat_belts_3.jpg
( 105 KB | 70 Downloads )
PT-17_seat_belts_4.jpg
( 89 KB | 89 Downloads )
Seat_belt_4_001.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #63 - Aug 17th, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Great!  I just received the instruments from JTec.  They were just a wee bit late.  The owner even threw in an extra set to make up for the delay.  Wow. 

Sky9, that panel for me to download is just the type of instrument panel I need for the Mustang.  In fact, it IS a P-51 Mustang panel.  Great job.

I'll try to see if I can download it and use that image.  If not, then I'll fabricate my own panel using the instruments from JTec.   BTW: those instruments from JTec are very good.  The colors and detail are crisp and clear.  Very nice.

Thank you Craig.  I'll be using them for future builds as well.

Skye

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #62 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
Have you tried Googling Model aircraft instrument panels: Click Here
Then you can use MSWord or MSPaint to enlarge or shrink them to the size you need and print them up and mount them. 

Here's a link to individual instrument pictures: Click Here

Here's another link you might want to check out: Click Here

You might want to check out JohnO's models in the hanger section and his builds where he shows his instrument panel construction.

( 11 KB | 57 Downloads )
images__1__001.jpg
( 14 KB | 59 Downloads )
images__2_.jpg
( 12 KB | 64 Downloads )
images_002.jpg
( 87 KB | 56 Downloads )
barracuda-studios-instrument-dials-1024x798.jpg
( 7 KB | 61 Downloads )
download_001.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #61 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
What diameter(s) of dials will you be needing?

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #60 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Craig:
You're welcome for the suggestion on the seat belts.  Keep in mind, those were the belts used during that  period.  Nowadays, it's "metal on metal" for quick release, rather than pulling that long strap off the buckle while trying to get out of a flaming wreck. 

New: JTec is refunding my money through PayPal.  No reason was given.  Unless I can find another source of printed instrument dials, it looks like I'm going to have to fabricate my own.  Any alternate suggesions?  Anyone?

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #59 - Aug 12th, 2018 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Thanks, Gary- that plan looks like a plan! I appreciate the interest and suggestions!

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #58 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
As for the seat belts and buckles:  I've done a quick set of drawings and cut out some papers.  You can use those flexible bandages that one finds at the pharmacy which can be folded over themselves and have marvelous "fabric" appearance.

Enclosed you should find a step-by-step series of pictures which should illustrate the buckles of that period.  Hope all this helps.

( 78 KB | 80 Downloads )
Seat_belt_1.jpg
( 83 KB | 108 Downloads )
Seat_belt_2.jpg
( 89 KB | 80 Downloads )
Seat_belt_3.jpg
( 89 KB | 80 Downloads )
Seat_belt_4.jpg
( 96 KB | 71 Downloads )
Seat_belt_5.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #57 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
In my humble opinion, I see two possible options:  1) the attenuated version or simply lobbing off the rocker arms.  The latter is most appealing simply because most of the rocker arms will be hidden by the cowl anyway.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #56 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Your engine is fantastic.  I look forward to your aluminum fashioning.  I'd love to have that skill in my box.  This is a fascinating build. Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #55 - Aug 11th, 2018 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Gary, I'll look into that film- I have yet to do any heat-shrink, but this is as good a time as any to start considering it, as I picked up a NIB OS FS-20 four-stroke that's going to get me out of my Esaki safe zone at some point.

As to the engine mounts... I already have a proper scratched P&W on hand, that I did a few months ago with the idea of using it in this build. The problem is, I built it to exact 1/16 scale, not considering the fact that a balsa cowling wouldn't fit over the rocker boxes. So, I'm faced with some options here:

1.) Display without the cowling. This would entail possibly  adding carb, mag, supercharger, etc detail to the rear of the engine ( I've posted pictures of the prototype both "naked" from the firewall out, and with the rear cowling covering the ancillaries so it would be a matter of how far I wanted to go), AND finally answering the question "Am I modeling Benny Howard's airplane or the Younkin brothers' replica?" One of the changes to the replica was was in the engine mounting system, as a broken prop blade causing the engine to tear itself from the mounts is what brought down the prototype. The brothers redesigned it for their replica.

2.) Build an attenuated version of the engine with the rocker boxes left off to make room for the cowling, and display the engine I have on a stand beside the model.

3.) Just slice the rocker boxes off the one I have, space it out appropriately from the front of the fuse, and wrap it in a balsa cowling.

Or 4.) Try to wheel, hammer, and spoon an aluminum cowling with functional rocker cover fairing blisters.

What do you guys think? I'm game to attempt anything- I can't promise a satisfactory result!

I'm slammed with prep work for cars going to Watkins Glen next month, so I have time to think about it because I'm not finding much time for building right now. I gotta say, though, I'm leaning towards #4. I have some .015" dead soft 1100 aluminum I'm going to experiment with.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2018 at 11:50am by Craig 3 »  

( 114 KB | 93 Downloads )
IMG_2165_001.JPG
( 23 KB | 70 Downloads )
b82b47d8203387dee537053223c46810.jpg
( 37 KB | 99 Downloads )
Benny-Howard-DGA-6.jpg
( 23 KB | 95 Downloads )
0340936bbae8892017f0541c11fe285e.jpg

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #54 - Aug 10th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Craig,

Sounds like you've got three pokers burning in the flames at once.  Insofar as the engine mounts, unless you intend to display it with the cowl off, It's really just a matter of gluing a small balsa block from the firewall to the back of your intended engine.  The wing center section should be shown on the plans, if not, this is where imagination kicks in.  Can you scan the center section and fuselage and post them?  This way, we can all debate the pros and cons, to almost no end.  You're doing great.!!  I would've suggested white colored Solartex for your covering, but the business closed its doors for the last time March/April of this year.  This is a really fantastic heat-shrink film covering that has small weave patterns and really makes the model stand out on its own.  No dopes, no thinners, no smells, no mess.  It would appear you may have to go with the silkspan route or another heat-shrink film if that's your inclination.  There's a new product put out by a German manufacturing company that's supposedly to be distributed by Horizon.  They produce what is called "Oratex" which is similar to Solartex but made in Germany.  Only potential issues are: 1) price.  They've not got a lock on the fabric-weave heat shrink covering and making the most of it and 2) Horizon hasn't even heard of the product and are wondering what the heck it is.  After numerous texts and emails back and forth between myself, Horizon and the German company, Lanitz, they agreed that Horizon should be their designated distributor for USA.  Just exactly when they start is still in discussion.

In the meantime, I'd suggest you contact Horizon and see if they're starting the distribution of Oratex.  If so, grab it!! 

Are you scratching the engine or going the Park Flyer route?  Just curious.

Your model is gorgeous.  I'm second in line....  Grin

Gary (Skye)

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #53 - Aug 6th, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
It's going to have to start getting some cover on soon, but I need to figure out just how I'm going to do the engine mounts. And, I either need to build the wing, or a dummy center section, so I can do the internal windshield bracing and finish the panel top. There are a lot of moving parts in this build sequence!

I did get a little bit smart and leave most of the fuselage stringers off so I don't have to replace them three times while manhandling it.

Thanks, guys, for the kind words and encouragement. Everybody gets a ride Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint