Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Howard DGA-6 Mr Mulligan- For a friend flown west (Read 9334 times)
pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Re: Howard DGA-6 Mr Mulligan- For a friend flown west
Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Looks good, but it can be very picky to try to keep tiny pieces from breaking off. To make the process simpler, only cut out every other stringer notch on the first and the last former in the line. then, after the fuselage is assembled, use the a stringer inserted in the first and last notch to mark the other stringer locations in the unmarked formers. Do the same thing on the opposite side to match. Then glue those 2 stringers in place. Continue in this manner around the fuselage. You will end up with straight runs of stringers, and you won't break off those tiny pieces because they will be supported by the existing glue joints.

ian

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Like this one... This build should provide plenty of time for reflection Smiley

( 135 KB | 19 Downloads )
5AC38A61-531B-425E-B324-3B946012E6E3.jpeg
( 127 KB | 27 Downloads )
6C36DC57-C0AA-46BC-BDD7-262A5C4F2AD1.jpeg

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Well...

Observation #1. This airplane has a LOT of stringers. The first sheet of printwood I attacked was a little bit, um, punky. The plan to build straight out of the box is getting changed up a little- glueing formers back together just takes the fun out of it. Key structural pieces will get cut out of good timber.

Observation #2. It's hard to get oneself into the mindset to do the first dedicated static build and realize that the 12 pound  stuff is the "select" balsa for the job!

Observation #3. I don't have to leave a place for the rubber motor to flail about.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2018 at 7:09am by Craig 3 »  

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2018 at 6:42am
Print Post  
You are on the right track with this build. I have a dedication build started in the Marcoux Bromberg that will be back on the building board very soon. Looking forward to you progress and given your past builds, will be a beautiful project.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Doing something in remembrance of another is high praise. It is worth taking much time and contemplation during all phases of construction. I am sorry that you lost a friend. Our hobby is top loaded with seniors nowadays.
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Can't wait!!! Go for it! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Go for it, Craig.  Sentimental builds are the best...like having a great friend looking over your shoulder while it comes together.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Howard DGA-6 Mr Mulligan- For a friend flown west
Jun 27th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
I hope you guys don't mind my waxing a bit sentimental here- You're like my family and I think you'll understand.

Saturday, I lost a dear friend, Mr Bill Hurt. Some of you may have known him, too. He was a renaissance man who knew more about more things than about anyone I've ever met. He was the Scale Outline Judge at Top Gun, a veteran builder of large-scale model aircraft, and one of the world's foremost authorities on WACO aircraft -full scale and smaller (check out the YMF thread on RC Universe).

He was a restorer of vintage aircraft, cars, and motorcycles. He raced dirt midgets. He was a Navy Vietnam Vet, and an accomplished solo sailor. In his well-spent youth, he traded a clapped-out Harley K Model for a ratty J-3 and taught himself to fly it on the edge of the family farm. He eventually parlayed it into a Beech Staggerwing. Bill was the real thing.

But most of all, he demanded excellence in everything. He broke me out of my comfort zone doing "easy" models and inspired and encouraged me to attempt something new and challenging on every build.

I only knew him for a short while, and we never met in person. Our shared interests became apparent on a couple model aircraft facebook sites (sarcasm being the key indicator that we had things in common) and we've spent hours and hours on the phone. The first time he called me, he didn't open with "hello"- his first words were "You know, back before WWII, we learned that you could control these things in all three axes FROM THE GROUND!"

Bill was a man who had firm opinions on a wide-ranging span of subjects. I agreed with him on almost all of them. One place we may have deviated was his disdain for "Kit Hoarders." In his words- "They were made to be built. Those plans & printwood aren't the Mona Lisa."

I have a pretty big stack of Golden Age kits. I have for the most part diligently cloned them before building. I know it's heresy, but I'm gonna break the rule on this one and build a Cleveland kit. At least, it's a postwar kit- but I think it's fitting. There was only ONE Howard DGA-6 built. And it was a champion right off the board- just like Bill.

This one will take a while, and this thread may need a stake driven into the ground beside it to see if it moves. It's gotta be done right.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2018 at 8:15pm by Craig 3 »  

( 79 KB | 17 Downloads )
dsc_12396_597d6973d7a46e42dc00dd12c3265479aa554728.jpg
( 94 KB | 22 Downloads )
IMG_3196.jpg
( 152 KB | 26 Downloads )
IMG_3194.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint