Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic METHODS FOR SHAPING THE LEADING EDGE OF WINGS (Read 2654 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: METHODS FOR SHAPING THE LEADING EDGE OF WINGS
Reply #5 - Dec 8th, 2018 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Mike, thanks for passing along this tip. It will help me very soon.

Bob

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Glad it helped - not my innovation, just passing along what I've learned from others. Nice-looking wing!

Cheers,

Mike

IP Logged

Paul Ramirez

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Thanks again, Mike.  Worked like a charm Smiley

( 82 KB | 98 Downloads )
Protected_Wing_2.jpg
( 112 KB | 98 Downloads )
Finished_Wing_1.jpg

Paul Ramirez
Rockwall, Texas

Good judgment come from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgment.

IP Logged

Paul Ramirez

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Hi Mike,

Thank you so much! Your picture explains it all!  Makes me wish I'd thought of that a couple of days ago.  Excellent and simple solution.  I'm gonna be starting the build of wing #2 over the weekend.  When I've finished I'll let you know how I make out.

I have to pick up one of my granddaughters from school and take her to the library, so I've got to run.  Again, thanks for the excellent advice.  Greatly appreciated.  By the way, GREAT picture.

Paul

Paul Ramirez
Rockwall, Texas

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Easy!  Put painter's tape across the ribs just inside the LE, TE, and either side of the spar.  Shape your LE and TE with a sanding block, then gently sand the edge next to the ribs until you see the tape start to wear over the ribs (see picture).  Sand over the spar using the same approach.  Done!

Hope this helps,

Mike

( 234 KB | 138 Downloads )
0831_Sanding_The_Wings.JPG

IP Logged

Paul Ramirez

METHODS FOR SHAPING THE LEADING EDGE OF WINGS
Oct 24th, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
METHODS FOR SHAPING WING LEADING EDGE WITHOUT DISTORTING THE AIRFOIL SHAPE OF WING RIBS?

Greetings from Paul in Rockwall TX,

Can any member assist me in describing the best method of shaping the leading edges of wings without distorting the airfoil shape of the wing ribs?

About 6 years ago I purchased a Schlueter Pacific Ace 30.  Rather than destroying the kit while attempting to make the transition from building with big sticks (.60 - .90 R/C aircraft) to building with little sticks, I decided to gain some experience by first scratch-building several models using the Pacific Ace plans.  I started the construction but had to place it on hold because my “building room” was transformed into a “toy room” while my wife and I provided daycare for our five grandchildren.  Now that the youngest has started school and not here every day, I have resurrected the project and have gained a great appreciation for the skill and diligence required to build these terrific, fragile, rubber-powered free-flight aircraft.

So far, I’ve completed four fuselages and tail feathers; and have just completed one wing.  I’ve made many mistakes in the process (over sanding, crunching longerons, gluing my fingers to the parts, etc.), but have gained much experience during the process.  I’m extremely grateful for all the helpful hints and techniques posted in the Stick and Tissue threads, which I browse regularly.  However, in my searches through the Forum, I have failed to locate a thread that discusses the best methods of shaping the wing leading edges without distorting the integrity of the airfoil shape of the wing ribs.  While shaping the leading edge of the Pacific Ace wing with a sanding stick and sanding bar, I noticed that I was also inadvertently sanding away portions of the airfoil shaped ribs.  Any techniques, suggestions or hints that any forum member can offer to assist me in avoiding this problem will be greatly appreciated.  There is probably a better way than holding the wing between my knees and using the shoeshine method to shape the wing leading edge.

Many thanks,

Paul
Rockwall, TX

Good judgment comes from experience.  Experience comes from poor judgment.

Paul Ramirez
Rockwall, Texas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint