Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Flying fields - Another approach?? (Read 1973 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Flying fields - Another approach??
Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Well FAC and West FAC (Flying Aces Club) have two very nice field to fly at here in the States, Geneseo, NY and in Phoenix, AZ  You can check out their sites with links found here at S&T.  If you aren't a member of FAC I'd encourage you to join, just for the Newsletter every two months.  It comes with interesting modeling articles and Free Flight Plans usually Peanut Scale or Dime Scale.  They also report on the FAC competitions and share pictures of the meets and the competitions mass launches etc.  I highly recommend membership!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Very interesting video. I had not considered electric powered Free Flight (capitalized this time).

I am not particularly interested in changing rules, as I am a sport flier, not a competitor. But, I am "downstream" in a manner of speaking. Without organized completion there would be no P-30 models or probably precious little else. Competition give focus. That is good. A great many of the available plans and kits (all of the really cool ones, it seems) are for competition models.

And, well yes. Insurance coverage would be nice. But for the limited flying I do the AMA charges too much. And provides me with a magazine that I do not want. The Park Pilot program seems interesting but I have been unable to get any response from the AMA.

Your reply had given me some things to think about. I appreciate the time you spent in replying to me.

It is ironic that I have stumbled on a video of a 2017 Bowden Trophy contest. It is being flown on an airfield, that many of us would almost kill to be able to fly on. Of course we don't have to resort to such drastic measures. We just have to move to the UK.

Regards,
Ed OBrien
in the wilds of Connecticut

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
How about this for a Free Flight small field aircraft.  Big plane still stays in small field. Click Here

Not sure just what you're after Ed?  Are you involved in competition such as FAC here in the States or BMFA  in the UK?   I think Free Flight (always capitalized) models no matter the size always have the potential of OOS (Out Of Sight) flight depending on conditions at the flying site.   Thermals don't always respond to DT's.  "Hung" tends to get them if he wants them!!!   

If you're looking to change competition rules, then you need to be contacting those in charge of the competitions.  FAC Flying Aces Club or BMFA (British Model Flying Association) for this kind of change.

If you looking for insurance coverage through AMA membership, then that's something else altogether. 

I believe that special competitions can be applied for through a local club petitioning FAC here in the States for a special competition at a particular site competition.  So small field sites is something that each club that flies regularly at a small site (whatever that might be) would have to clear through competition sanctioning bodies whoever they might be.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Ed OBrien
2 Star Member

Flying fields - Another approach??
Oct 31st, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
If you do what you have always done, you always get what you always got.

It seems that to help with the problem of decreasing field size for may of us the solution is to come up with a new event which is supposed to help the problem. Then free flightiers being what they are, proceed to develop the models so that continue to out fly the smaller fields.

How about an event in which the model has to land within a designated flight time, say 45 to 50 seconds? With points subtracted for over or under running the target time. Serious deductions for overshooting.

My son and I watched this event at a 2000 FF contest in the UK. Great fun was had by all contestants and the models ALL STAYED ON THE FIELD. There were even spectators, other than us. It was an event for diesel power but I do not see why it could not be adapted or rubber power. BTW, DTs were not allowed to bring the model down on time. No other gimmicks were allowed either, other than a fuel shut-off. The flight pattern had to reasonably mimic the flight of a "real" aircraft: take off, cruise, land in its wheels. We could even have them ROG from a card table or similar platform to keep some of us from having to kneel. (Please don't make me kneel unless I have something sturdy to help with getting up.)

Any thoughts on the subject? It is still a competition, just not a competition for "the long flight", a dream we all share. Maybe we need to adjust the dream to fit our circumstances.

Cheers,
Ed OBrien,
Manchester, CT

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint