Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Titebond (Read 1293 times)
Kingbird49

Old school rules! :-)

Re: Titebond
Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
staubkorb wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 11:45am:
Too thick/heavy OOB (out of bottle) and yellows with age.  Thinned at least 50/50 with distilled water (preferred due to the impurities in tap water) it is fine.  I really prefer a white alipathic, also thinned.

Thinning to 40/60 (glue/water) or even a bit thinner is great for attaching tissue and sealing the joins of tissue when the paper is applied with glue-stick.

Good points.  I'm not a fan of thinning Titebond.  Although, as you said so well, it would work fine for covering, there are other, better, options available for that task.  There's a significant strength penalty to be paid if attempting to use thinned Titebond for construction purposes. 

Since I put this post up a little over a month ago I've started my first build in over 40 years, experimented a little and worked out a process that seems to be working out for me.  In my current build I'm using the Titebond for joints that will be subjected to stress.  I have found Deluxe Materials Super-Phatic to be an excellent glue for those joints where I want a quicker set time and strength is not the biggest concern.

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2018 at 8:15pm by Kingbird49 »  

IP Logged

staubkorb
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Re: Titebond
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Too thick/heavy OOB (out of bottle) and yellows with age.  Thinned at least 50/50 with distilled water (preferred due to the impurities in tap water) it is fine.  I really prefer a white alipathic, also thinned.

Thinning to 40/60 (glue/water) or even a bit thinner is great for attaching tissue and sealing the joins of tissue when the paper is applied with glue-stick.

WWWoFF
Wonderful Wacky World of Free Flight
(with a bit of rc thrown in for giggles)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
IP Logged

Kingbird49

Old school rules! :-)

Titebond
Nov 17th, 2018 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I'd be interested to learn your opinions on the use of Titebond Original for model building.  I've seen several references to it in posts here but nothing with any details about advantages/disadvantages of this glue.

Thanks for your comments.

p.s.  I've been using it for years making custom furniture and can vouch for it's strength.  But I know that's not the only criteria we need to consider.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint