Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP? (Read 78715 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP?
Reply #338 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Good point Ak...especially if your rib balsa is very soft and light...which is what we try to do, build light. A solid sheet rib on the center section each side would help to eliminate that.  Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #337 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
One note of caution regarding shrinking the tissue on split or cracked rib wings. I just had this happen to the P-75 wings where the outer panel joins the center section.

The tissue shrank and pulled the top of the end ribs slightly bowed inwards. The result is a lousy joint when joining the panels. I fixed this by gluing a 1/16" strip along the top of the rib and then sanding to fit.

I'll borrow your picture to show what I mean:

( 45 KB | 66 Downloads )
wing_fit.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #336 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Looks like you're in good shape with the current wing.  Just rebuild the center section and take off the upper outer ribs and sand the spars to the needed dihedral. Replace the outer ribs with solid ribs and then glue the outer panels to the solid ribs. Here's a low tech process if you're wondering how to set the angle... take a strip of cardboard etc. the length of the outer panel and pin it to some balsa you can pin to the board.  Raise one end to the desired dihedral and jig it in place so you can take a 90* angle and mark the lower end with a vertical line. Once this has been done you'll have the angle you need to sand the spars to.  Just cut the vertical line (now at the proper angle) chop off the unnecessary length and you have a template you can use by flipping it over and use to measure the line on each spar of the center section on each side.  Hope this makes sense. I'll draw up a quick and dirty illustration in a few minutes and post it with this post.  If you flip the strip of cardboard (etc.) top edge to bottom edge you'll have the angel for the center spars. Mark each side and sand to mark.

( 28 KB | 64 Downloads )
angle_tool.JPG

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #335 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
After about two weeks of not wanting to touch any of my planes or plans, went to work this morning and cut the wing apart to add dihedral and will now be making a cracked rib wing. It was simply too fragile for any more work but an interesting exercise nonetheless.
Mike

( 111 KB | 71 Downloads )
Wing_Apart.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #334 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Well...Alfakilo's Dime Scale build has inspired me to try a new contra-rotating prop model of the Fisher P-75A the further development of the XP-75 and was produced to a small degree.  The contract was cancelled following WWII.  So here's my version of the Fisher P-75A.
Check out Alfakilo's Dime Scale build here: Click Here
Tom
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2019 at 5:12pm by Sky9pilot »  

fisher_P-75A_edit.PDF ( 845 KB | 53 Downloads )

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #333 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Tom - thank for the guidance and I already had paper tubes made up following your earlier post. The problem came originally when I sanded the cowl and the longerons came through. I filled those holes and started over. I'll cut a smaller slot to start with and enlarge it to fit the tubes as you suggested and using the file rather than the drill will probably work much better. Thanks again for the guidance.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #332 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Congrats on the Marmalade!  Just checking on the prop...figured you had that in hand. Smiley

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #331 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Actually, Tom, the prop was just for show so that I could put the plane in our local fair (won 4th place, but my Seville Orange Marmalade took first). I have selected some clear plastic to make a lighter pusher prop. I still need to add some nose weight.
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #330 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Ian...love your X-1...just not certain about your red prop???  Did you modify it to be a pusher?  The whole ramp device won't work for a pusher on the original prop.  To make it a pusher you'd have to file the ramp off the front and make a flat bearing surface and construct some kind of ramp or free wheeling device for the reverse of the prop...just a thought!

Mike...might I suggest you fill the squares in the cowling and then cut narrow slots just big enough for paper tubes to slide into with a rounded edge in the front of the narrow slots (a round file is very handy for this). I show how to make paper tubes using white glue and bond paper wrapped around a toothpick, dowel or bamboo skewer for size needed. In the Building Tutorials for Beginners and Experienced Modelers: Click Here
Once glued in you can use a razor blade to trim the tubes leaving a nice gun trough.

( 220 KB | 55 Downloads )
gun_ports_sheeting_1_001.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #329 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:00am
Print Post  
After many days away, got some time to work on the Fang and got out my trusty pin vise and started to drill out the gun ports and the drill found some loose balsa and went astray so I went to the other side and same thing. Beginning to think I'm being punished for some transgression. Also spent some time reworking the wing saddle as the detail disappeared when the enlargement was made and so I went with my best idea at the time and I made the wing in the sliced rib method so it was slightly?? different than the saddle. This is turning out to be an exercise in body work than balsa construction but I will prevail.
Mike   

( 90 KB | 53 Downloads )
Gun_Port_Redo.jpg

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #328 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Thanks all. I really like the effect of coloring the underlying balsa structure with felt pens. It has made a big difference on the last few models I have built, and I highly recommend it as it adds almost no weight at all.
ian

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #327 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Very nice model, Ian...super job...wonderfully attractive!

Neal

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #326 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 6:23am
Print Post  
The build came out looking great, color right on and decals worked well too. Very nice.
Mike

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #325 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Sky9pilot wrote on Sep 1st, 2019 at 5:19pm:
Here's a really unusual one from Yugoslavia, the Ikarus 452M early jet of 1953 vintage.

Tom, that's quite an intriguing (and kinda tubby) subject - would be an interesting build.

Ian, the X-1 looks great!

Mike

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #324 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Nice!! Your orange turned out really well!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 28
Send TopicPrint