Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP? (Read 78585 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP?
Reply #353 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Greetings All - I think it's time for this cookup to come to a close since I'm the lone holdout. I'll be away for several more days and I'll post the final pictures as an individual project along with the Culver Dart. Thanks to all that looked in and participated.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #352 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
Old age isn't for Sissies!!

Thank you for the good words and you are so right. Amazing what was never thought of when we were younger is now something to deal with. I was wondering what was slowing you down on your Fang, you are usually very quick on these details but glad to see you are back on your game. Seems I work and work and it does not look much different day to day but almost there. The markings and fillets will probably take a bit of time but the majority of the work is done.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #351 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Making great progress!!! Your Fang is looking fantastic.  I've started my plug but had a bout with gout in my left hand and couldn't hold anything to carve for almost a month!  Doing much better now.  Old age isn't for Sissies!! Tongue Cheesy Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #350 - Nov 23rd, 2019 at 11:00am
Print Post  
Coming to the end of the Fang project, finally. Been away for some time but finished the sanding and trim of the parts this morning and finalized the color. Final tissue will go on today, color hopefully tomorrow and Monday and start the canopy plug into the week.
Mike

( 101 KB | 58 Downloads )
Fang_Overall_1.jpg
( 87 KB | 52 Downloads )
Fang_Overall_2.jpg
( 91 KB | 46 Downloads )
Fang_Overall_3.jpg
( 92 KB | 52 Downloads )
Fang_Color_Preview.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #349 - Oct 16th, 2019 at 8:15am
Print Post  
On the home stretch now and started the fuselage covering. Began on the rear deck and after coming back to the building board got the news that stripping the new tissue was needed and some support added to the underside of three stringers and recover. Just one of those things on the trail of scale modelling.
Mike

( 99 KB | 45 Downloads )
Turtle_Deck_1.jpg
( 103 KB | 43 Downloads )
Turtle_Deck_2.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #348 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Flying surfaces covered and doped. Some minor touch up work on the fuselage plus the gun ports and it's off to the color part of the build.
Mike

( 99 KB | 59 Downloads )
Flying_Surface_Covered.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #347 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 6:58am
Print Post  
Very glad to see you are back on the Fang, everything looks great and was waiting to see the canopy and you are right, at that size it is a big job. The span on my Fang is around 20" and that canopy is a bit big also. I'm making a new plastic holding device for my vac box as the old one had no guides and a too simple method for holding the plastic and it would move around when heated and landing the frame was too off center. Always something to do.
Mike

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #346 - Oct 9th, 2019 at 11:37am
Print Post  
As is the usual case...life sometimes gets in the way of modeling.  Had inlaws in town and had a good time with them and got them back to the airport (Portland PDX) always interesting because the Air Force shares the airport on the south side with F-15's as interceptors.  Didn't see any F-15's flying but still fun to see these big pieces of metal flying by!!!   

Have to dig out the chop saw for the canopy plug for the "Fang"... at 27" span she over maxes the balsa block sizes I had so had to order some balsa blocks.  Got a box of assorted blocks/left overs from the balsawood store.  Now to carve the plug for vacuforming.  Got to build another vacuform box, as the other was lost in the move from Texas back to CA...always something to do in keeping the modeling supplies and tools up to date!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #345 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Tom - Thanks for the good words and thanks to both you and Alf for pulling me out of my slump. Alf's right, this should be fun and it is again. Thanks again.
Mike

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #344 - Oct 5th, 2019 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Mike...she's looking very nice!  Wish my bones on my Fang looked that good!!!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #343 - Oct 4th, 2019 at 7:23am
Print Post  
Greater progress than ever, wings attached to center section, fuselage nearly complete for covering, just some final sanding and the gun troughs and tissue going on. Tissue pulled the vertical stabilizer out of square, I've never had tissue pull that much. Wetted the main spar and fastened it to the building board twice and finally got it back into line, covering the other side should stabilize that. Should be able to finalize the fuselage in the next two or three days, final sand the wings and, hopefully cover the entire plane. Did some testing with tissue on the solid surface but when I opened the dope jar there was a smell of rotten eggs and the water color had precipitated out of solution and hardened on the bottom. Got it all back into solution and it went on OK but the smell has me concerned. Going to the art supply store today and will get new water color and maybe start over if the dope seems bad.
Mike

( 126 KB | 48 Downloads )
Preassemble_1.jpg
( 121 KB | 40 Downloads )
Preassemble_2.jpg
( 110 KB | 60 Downloads )
Preassemble_3.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #342 - Oct 1st, 2019 at 6:33am
Print Post  
You are absolutely right, it is supposed to be fun but my quest for self-improvement does get in the way that's why there was a two week break to get my "mojo" back. All is well now and the fun returned when I started rebuilding the wing breaks and the center section. I'm also a subscriber to the five P principle but there are those times when...
Mike

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #341 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
New Builder wrote on Sep 29th, 2019 at 6:29am:
...the wing saddle has been reworked twice to get the wing to even remotely fit properly.

Building a kit or scratchbuilding from a plan, no matter. I think one of the major irritants is getting a wing to fit. If we are trying to add a little incidence that can leave the trailing edge hanging below the bottom contour or conversely, have the leading edge a little higher than it should look.

The Five Ps is always a good idea! That and a lot of patience! Sometimes the urge to chuck it is huge...then it's time for a break!! This is supposed to be fun!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #340 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Decided to repair the center section as well since it contains the spars and the ribs that match the wings. It was a bit embarrassing to see how out of square the ribs were however the correction is well under way.
Mike

( 120 KB | 68 Downloads )
Repairing_Center_Section.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #339 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 6:29am
Print Post  
AK - Your note was right on target as the same thing happened to my Interstate Cadet with the wing panels joining rib bending in. Had to strip the tissue there and add a rib to the offending rib to get it back into alignment. My plan is for the solid rib on the wing panel to be 3/32 and maybe same for the center section. I really need this wing since the wing saddle has been reworked twice to get the wing to even remotely fit properly. This plane has been a test from the beginning, at one point I was standing over the garage garbage can with the fuselage in hand but thought better of that plan, that was not the way to go, can't give up that easily.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Send TopicPrint