Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP? (Read 78716 times)
MKelly
5 Star Member

Re: TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP?
Reply #368 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 10:25am
Print Post  
That looks really nice Mike - the gun ports and bumps turned out well and add a lot of life to the fuselage.

Mike

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #367 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 8:12am
Print Post  
Parts and bumps prepped and installed, spinner done, Russian Star emblem installed on fuselage and exhaust stain on fuse side. Got a whole day to work on the Fang and wing will be colored today and control outlines done tomorrow along with Russian Star insignias and the Hero Of The Soviet Union emblem. Work on the propeller has begun but not sure how I want to proceed since I made a sizable nick in the base of the propeller and had thought it would be a good place for the blade to pass thru. Blades are remolded and will be attached to what ever I can squeeze into that small opening along with a free wheel tab. More to come.
Mike

( 85 KB | 103 Downloads )
Bumps_and_Spinner.jpg
( 92 KB | 114 Downloads )
Marking_and_Spinner_1.jpg
( 103 KB | 111 Downloads )
Marking_and_Spinner_2.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #366 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Hi Bob - The color is Dr. PH Martin ink. I used the one marked red and poured out 1/2 ounce in my airbrush bottle and added three drops of blue, stirred it up and sprayed it in about 6 to 8 passes letting it dry between passes. Since it is predominately water each pass must be very light and just misted on. The tissue will begin to wrinkle and you should stop to let it tighten up. It will soon begin to cover and then you can blend the lighter areas into the darker ones, takes a lot of patience and have to stay pretty far away from the plane with the airbrush.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #365 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 11:56am
Print Post  
NB, thank you for the kind words, the photos do not show all of the blemishes. I have been looking forward to the FANG's tissue job. I see that you sprayed the red on. What paint did you use and did it do anything to the tissue while drying?

Bob

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #364 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Quote:
I am at even with the dust

Hi Bob - Your planes are looking great and the canopies will finish them off nicely. Know exactly what you are talking about, my Fang canopy started much bigger than it needed to so most of it is ending up on the garage floor.
Mike

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #363 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Hi Craig - Thanks for looking in and the nice words. Almost done and can get back to my other builds.
Mike

IP Logged

Craig 3
5 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #362 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
That's looking beautiful, New Builder! I love red aeroplanes!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #361 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Nearly finished with the Fang. Got some color on over the past few days and the control surfaces outlined on the tail surfaces. Spinner done, prop blanks redone since I got a little aggressive in trimming the first set and think the props would be too narrow. The Russian stars are complete waiting to be cut out of the tissue and mounted. I did a test of the stars on a spare wing and all seemed to be good. Fuselage is down to matching some lighter areas with the overall. Wing will be started and hopefully done by next Thursday, markings installed and the canopy block is started.

( 116 KB | 97 Downloads )
Fuselage_and_Props.jpg
( 83 KB | 100 Downloads )
Overall_with_color.jpg
( 84 KB | 104 Downloads )
Overall_with_guns.jpg
( 66 KB | 113 Downloads )
Star_Markings_001.jpg
( 96 KB | 128 Downloads )
Stat_Test.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #360 - Dec 2nd, 2019 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Here is where I am at even with the dust.

( 183 KB | 118 Downloads )
IMG_4095.jpg
( 164 KB | 117 Downloads )
IMG_4097.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #359 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Still working on the Fang, not much new to see. All tissuing finished, color determined, markings finished, guns made and waiting color and block cut for canopy vacuuming but no shaping as yet.
Mike

( 105 KB | 101 Downloads )
Fuselage_Tissue.jpg
( 66 KB | 108 Downloads )
Star_Markings.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #358 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
I still have:

1. vac canopy for F8F.
2. vac canopy for P-47.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #357 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I'm still working on the 27" span Fang...Hope to have the canopy and prop finished soon.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #356 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
X-1 finished.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #355 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Sorry for not being around lately. I see that it may be time for this cookup to be finalized, but before this happens we need a head count.

Please chime in if you have finished your build and lets see who is still not finished.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #354 - Nov 27th, 2019 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Mike,
This cookup hasn't been closed and it's the Administrators who open and close Cookups.  There are still people with models to finish, including Sky9pilot.  Many still read the new posts to see how things are progressing.  You should finish your build here! I hope I wasn't too harsh.  But life gets in the way of builds and this can cause delays in finishing a build.  I don't want to penalize anyone for not finishing their build as fast as others!  So this Cookup is still open...Remember this is a "FUN" hobby, even if it takes a long time to complete your build!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28
Send TopicPrint