Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP? (Read 78577 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: TOM AKERY PLANS COOKUP?
Reply #398 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
OUCH! Sorry for the set back Tom. Here is a ribbon for your efforts.

( 12 KB | 68 Downloads )
Award_winning_Ribbon.jpeg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #397 - Apr 9th, 2020 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Well, in completing the canopy on my LA-11 Fang I dropped the plane twice and broke the leading edges of both wings..."Hanger Rash" I have cut out the broken panels between the ribs and replaced the L.E.'s and have used scrap tissue to repair the crumpled tisse.  Will have to repaint those area!  The celophane has been placed in all the proper places on the canopy.  A bit of heat gun to tighten up the panels and then the painting of the self sticking label sheet to make the outside framework and then the painting of the prop and the Fang will be done!  Yeah...this one was a nice model it just seems that life got in the way of completing it in a fashionable time limit!!!  Lost the building mojo then found it again and lost it again and now have found it once again.  So I hopefully will complete it by Saturday.   Embarrassed Wink

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #396 - Apr 2nd, 2020 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Thanks for the well wishes Bob. Didn't realize how much I miss working on my airplanes. Spending time cleaning my workroom, cataloging my plans and generally hoping for a good outcome. If this Covid sheltering at home wasn't bad enough, can't cut and sand. Am however noodling on a trailing edge forming tool and an all around balancing fixture. This too shall pass.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #395 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Mike, wishing you a speedy recovery.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #394 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Sorry to hear about your injury.  You're in our thoughts and prayers!  Take it easy.  I know about those upper arm/shoulder injuries.  Rest up and check in when you can!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #393 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Tom - Thank you very much for the tutorial. You have validated much of my thinking about pattern making but provided a lot more detail and made my work much easier. Sorry to say however that I have been directed to be out of action by my doctor for at least three to four weeks due to a shoulder injury I got falling on the ice on my driveway about three weeks back. Bone bruise and hairline crack on the upper arm bone. Can type right handed (I'm left handed as fate would have it) so will be looking in every day. Thanks again for the tutorial.

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #392 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
Making an old fashioned canopy part 2

I've gone through the process of making paper patterns and trimming them to fit. 
If you have closely made the framework symetrical you should be able to use the same pattern for the triangular panels each side of the central windscreen panel.

Once satisfied you can them apply them to the framework.  You can use steel hairclips to help hold the plastic/celophane in place.  If using plastic sheet you find that rolling the plastic on a 1/4" or 1/2" dowel or similar shape will help the plastic to conform to the canopy framework.  The celophane is not a problem to bend to the framework but it hard to get it smooth if there are many contours you will be making...like the front windscreen.  I wait a day or so to let the glue really dry and you'll find that Aleene's Tacky Glue dries clear when it is completely cured.  In the last picture you'll see a piece of reed around the bottom of the windscreen port side.  This is held in place by a hairclip at the cockpit opening and by a pin in the fuselage.  This won't show once glue is dry.

Once that is done a hair dryer or heat gun on low applied to the celophane (make sure you don't get too close or you'll be doing this all over again) will cause the celophane to tighten up nicely.  Remember a little heat goes along way with celophane!!!  Here's the rest of the pictures till I finish the sliding section.

( 815 KB | 74 Downloads )
trans_pattern_to_plastic_3.jpg
( 972 KB | 71 Downloads )
trans_pattern_to_plastic_4.jpg
( 866 KB | 105 Downloads )
trans_pattern_to_right_panel.jpg
( 514 KB | 80 Downloads )
rear_canopy.jpg
( 732 KB | 90 Downloads )
applying_celophane_to_frame.jpg
( 742 KB | 77 Downloads )
applying_celophane_to_frame_2.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #391 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Ditto what Bob said on that canopy.  I am trying to fulfill Bob's request here and so here's my making an old fashioned canopy by fitting panels to the canopy framework. 

I used scrap paper to make the patterns but feel free to use a sheet of bond/printer paper to make your patterns.  I use a pencil to trace the pattern from the paper laying over the framework.  I cut the paper into smaller sizes to closely fit the panel that will be traced. 

I like to use the desk lamp to backlight the paper and framework to make tracing the panel easier.  I then cut just outside the traceing about 1/16". 

Once that is done I place the pattern on the framework and rub around the edges to crease the pattern where it's too large.  I then use scissors to trim the pattern back to the creases. 

Once I'm satisfied with the pattern I trace that on the celophane/plastic I'll be using.  I use a sharpie thin marker.  The ink can be removed once it's cut out by using isopropyl alcohol in a wrag to remove it.  Cleans the plastic as well.

I usually cut out the front windscreen and rear canopy portions first. Then add the sliding/folding portion of the canopy last to overlap the other two areas.  I'll cover the seams with painted or double tissue to make the outside framework.  On this one I plan to paint the outside framework using the floral spray used on the tissue.  I'll spray a sheet of white label sheet and cut to size.

I used Aleene's Tacky Glue thinned with water to attach the celophane panels.  I apply it and let it set to get "Tacky" then add another thin coat with a small brush just before applying the panels.  I use small steel hair clips to help hold the celophane in place till the glue dries.  I try to stretch the celophane as tight as I can without pulling it off the fuselage joints that can be only held by masking tape.  I use the yellow masking tape. Easy release so it doesn't pull up the finish on the tissue. Here's the pics...

( 474 KB | 63 Downloads )
making_old_fashioned_canopy_1_001.jpg
( 359 KB | 80 Downloads )
tracing_1.jpg
( 502 KB | 74 Downloads )
tracing_2.jpg
( 284 KB | 87 Downloads )
tracing_and_trimming_2a.jpg
( 501 KB | 86 Downloads )
tracing_and_trimming_3.jpg
( 595 KB | 83 Downloads )
trans_pattern_to_plastic_2.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #390 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Bob - Thank you for the good words. It is a work in progress as is most of the things we do in this hobby and is my first serious vacuum forming and detailing. The next and last for this airplane will be much better.
Mike

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #389 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
The photos show a beautiful canopy Mike.

Bob

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #388 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 10:13am
Print Post  
I'm finally beginning to master the canopy making business but have a bit of distance to go. The canopy is one of the early ones I vacuumed and it has a lot of flaws because of the imperfections in the plug and was too small for the space it needed to go. However, it did make a great experimental tool to figure out the framing and trim. Started with decal sheet pieces colored to match the fuselage but they were too fragile so went to colored tissue and glue stick with much better results. I've added material to the back and bottom of the plug and polished it smooth so new canopy coming soon.
Mike

( 81 KB | 71 Downloads )
Canopy_3_002.jpg
( 76 KB | 83 Downloads )
Canopy_4_001.jpg
( 87 KB | 69 Downloads )
Canopy_5.jpg
( 69 KB | 84 Downloads )
Canopy_In_Place.jpg

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #387 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
Excellent canopy framing!
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #386 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks Bob,
The frame is balsa and reed.  The rounded windscreen frame is reed. The rest is balsa laminated for the front inverted "U" and I had some 3/32" sq that had been soaking for quite awhile, actually had forgotten it was in the soak tube.  I wrapped them around the forms and let them dry overnight.  The top "T" frame between the "U's" is 3/32" sq.

I'll try to do a "How To" on the paper forms for the canopy panes tomorrow.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #385 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Tom.

1. great job.
2. is that wood on the canopy frame?
3. would you post photos of your process in making the paper especially for the wind screen.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #384 - Mar 25th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Well, finally got out of the CAD program and completed the canopy frame for the Fang...
I have some celophane that I will use to fill in the window panels.  That will come tomorrow. I'll make paper patterns and then cut the celophane to the pattern.  Here's the canopy frame pics.

( 385 KB | 91 Downloads )
canopy_frame_1.jpg
( 294 KB | 85 Downloads )
canopy_frame_2.jpg
( 323 KB | 82 Downloads )
canopy_frame_3.jpg
( 271 KB | 79 Downloads )
canopy_frame_4.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Send TopicPrint