Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Interested in a winter trimotor cookup (Read 35074 times)
alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Re: Interested in a winter trimotor cookup
Reply #93 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Once the Heinkel is finished, it's back to the cook-up. I think I will continue the pre-WW2 prototype series with the initial Bell XP-39. Much info on google to allow a duplication of the first prototype. I'll use a Walt Mooney peanut plan for the Bell Airbonita and make the changes needed to make it a P-39, not much to do there.

( 214 KB | 90 Downloads )
XP-39.png

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #92 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Fantastic improvement in 10 days and that is truly great. Read another post that she is in physio and doing well. Looking forward to her complete recovery and back to 100%. Build when you can and we are always here for you.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #91 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
That is all really good to hear, Tom...never hurts to ask for help from The Man.  Sometimes we don't quite understand the response...but my experience has told me...there will be a response.  Smiley Wink  All of that plus placing parents in an assisted living facility...that's a real load to deal with.  We've all dealt with variations on that theme.  We're with you and your family.

Neal

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #90 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Thank God for happy endings. Plane can wait.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #89 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
My apologies fellas...I truly planned to build the SM-79 and do hope to get to it, but life got in the way.  My lovely wife fell and broke her shoulder while in Dallas, TX trying to move her mother into an assisted living place.  The doctors there told her she would have to have a complete shoulder replacement.  She waited a week to get her strength and courage up and flew back home.  The doctor took xrays there and the top of her humerus bone was completely disintegrated and way out of place.  We prayed for her and about 10 day later got her in to see the orthopedic surgeon here in WA.  New xrays were taken and the humerus bone was back together with no splinters anywhere to be seen. Thanks be to God who really helped us.  No surgery necessary and now she is finishing up her third week of therapy and doing amazing!  Thanks to those who have prayed for her.  Here's the xrays for your viewing.  So that has curtailed my building for a while as we get her back to being able to do things on her own!!!  Thanks for your understanding and patience with me on this build!
First xray is from Texas with humerus bone shattered...
Second is xray in WA 10 days later...
Tom
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2019 at 4:42pm by Sky9pilot »  

( 147 KB | 102 Downloads )
Masha_Image_1.jpg
( 161 KB | 91 Downloads )
Marsha_Image_4.jpg

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #88 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I'm having similar issues right now with finishing the Heinkel. I've been sloppy in my tissue stash and got the domestic, EasyBuilt, and Esaki greys mixed up. The light grey tissues seem the same but don't go on the same, one being quite easy to tear when wet and doesn't tighten up well if applied dry. OK for flat panels and that's about it. The EB light grey is easier to work with but hard to tell apart from the Hallmark/Michaels stuff.

I definitely have a fixed attention span too. If a build drags out, I tend to get rushed in trying to wrap it up. Hard to keep the fire in the belly sometimes!

Regarding covering bond paper, etc, I started a thread in the tissue/finish section about coloring the framing and paper/filler with paint or India Ink to reduce the problem with the tissue being too translucent. Seems to work OK but lengthens the build time.

Again, nice job on the Raider!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #87 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Things kind of went south from what I'd intended it to be for the nacelles, Alf.  I had (have) a darker grey tissue...thought I'd do the nacelles in that...see how it did hiding the wood underneath.  In short...it didn't...just gave me a "dirty" color.  I let it stay that way.  What I should have done was what I eventually did with the trailing edge fuselage turtle deck...covered the stark white bond paper with a double layer of tissue...worked well.  As they say...das is aber schade...a pity.  Smiley Wink Grin  I suppose there's something to be said for all the contrasting shades and colors.

You'll note that I "copped out" on the cockpit glazing...at least on the side doors.  DON'T follow my lead!  I just needed to get away from this build.  Shocked Grin

Thanks, Alf.

Neal

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #86 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 9:44am
Print Post  
That turned out really nice! The darker color of the nacelles...tissue or paint?

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #85 - Mar 2nd, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Not to let Alf stand alone...here's my Northrop YC-125 Raider, started as part of this cookup...continued elsewhere on site.

Neal
EDIT: Here's a link to that build Click Here Sky9pilot
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2019 at 2:36pm by Sky9pilot »  

( 39 KB | 95 Downloads )
P1170953_001.jpg
( 33 KB | 94 Downloads )
P1170957.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #84 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 6:55am
Print Post  
MKelly wrote on Feb 13th, 2019 at 3:03pm:
AK, the white is plain Esaki chalked on the backside with white artist pastel chalk.

Mike

OK! I think I'll try this, and if anyone needs more info (I did), here's a link from EasyBuilt that explains the technique.

https://easybuiltmodels.com/chalk.htm
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2019 at 3:59am by alfakilo »  

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #83 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Very unusual subject Ian - I'd guess you could show this in both the Trimotor and Obscure Aircraft cookups.  Lots of fuselage volume in this one.  The shape reminds me of Pres Bruning's Hiperbipe plan.

Mike

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #82 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I have been working on creating a 3-view of the 1939 Helmy Aerogypt Mark III for this cookup, but I probably won't get to the building stage for a while. I created a fairly reasonable 3-view and used it to make a crude 3-D card model to check against the available pictures. Not perfect, but it is in the ballpark. I know what areas need refinement. Still lots of work to go to make it usable for construction.
ian

( 57 KB | 92 Downloads )
Test_model1.jpg

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #81 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
AK, the white is plain Esaki chalked on the backside with white artist pastel chalk.

Mike

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #80 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mike. I will try this with my next build, the He119.

Your white tissue is nice and white. Some of the white tissue that I try comes out more translucent than white. Where did you get this tissue?

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #79 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 9:32am
Print Post  
alfakilo wrote on Feb 12th, 2019 at 2:04pm:
I use a 30% dope/70% thinner mix to 'seal' the tissue with. Is this enough of a dope coating to use the wicking technique, or should I go with a higher % of dope?

AK,

30/70 dope should work fine for this - I thin my dope pretty aggresively and the technique hasn't given me any problems.

I've had some trouble with UHU glue stick coming loose when used to apply tissue markings over doped tissue or painted tissue.  The Elmer's purple seems to work better for that application, but over doped tissue I find the thinner method superior to either glue stick.  I do sometimes use the clear UHU to tack on lettering before flowing on the thinner, mostly when trying to align a long string of lettering such as "U.S.Air Force" down the side of a model (see pic). 

That said, I very much prefer the UHU clear for attaching tissue to undoped structures - it's greasier so it spreads better and it seems to dry a bit slower giving you more time to tug the tissue around.

So what's your next build?

Mike

( 250 KB | 92 Downloads )
0711_Lettering_Placement_Template_001.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint