Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Easter Weekend Fun Flying in San Antonio (Read 2065 times)
93rdLiberator
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Easter Weekend Fun Flying in San Antonio
Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Mike!  I really appreciate you taking the time to explain and show pictures/movies to boot.  I've been experimenting with a simple "spy" camera that came with a clip and I'v stuck in on a baseball cap while putting it on my head backwards.  I look rad.

But my movies lack quality for sure.  I too like to just look at the model and forget about the camera.  That's what I'm going for.  Perhaps a GoPro would be a great investment for lots of things.

Thanks again!
Dan

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Thanks Dan.  I'm using a GoPro Hero 6 camera attached to a ballcap using the sticky-backed mount that came with the camera.  Before that I used a cheap keychain camera duct-taped to a ballcap.  Both work, but the GoPro gives a much better result - better optics, better image stabilization, higher resolution and framerate, and much better auto-exposure.  You can see the difference if you compare the videos I posted in March-April 2018 (taken with the keychain camera) to later videos (taken with the GoPro).  Or just watch this video - the initial flights are captured on the GoPro, when that ran out of battery the last few flights were captured with the keychain camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Q0muu1-3w

You can really see the difference in how the cameras handle motion, exposure and resolution by comparing the last few flights on that video to the first few.

The GoPro also takes decent still photos and has some useful burst and time-lapse still modes that I've had fun with.  It's also water-resistant, which helped me sell it to the family as a beach-cam.

The drawback to the GoPro is that the camera is much more expensive.  The keychain camera was about 30 bucks, GoPros start around 200 and go up from there.

Of course you can also just take video with your phone.  I started out doing that, but found when I started flying twins that I didn't have enough hands to hold the camera, model and props all at once.  Going to a hat-cam made everything better, as I no longer had to worry about holding and aiming the camera and could put my full attention on launching the model and watching it fly - much more enjoyable, and I still have a video record to relive and analyze the flights.

Hope this helps,

Mike
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2019 at 6:50pm by MKelly »  

( 247 KB | 61 Downloads )
0422_Hat-Cams.JPG
( 349 KB | 70 Downloads )
0422_Hat-Cams_2.JPG
( 144 KB | 59 Downloads )
0809_Alex_Runs_To_The_Water_Resized.JPG

IP Logged

93rdLiberator
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Great day the field, Mike.  Nice models as usual.  I really liked the T-28 flight.  The Tigercat was awesome too.

Well...they all were! 

By the way...I'd love to get flight movies like yours and I can see your hat shadow in some shots.  Could you show the rig you use?  Mine is cheapo and sort of hit or miss.

Cheers,
Dan

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Mike...great video and looked to be a fantastic day except for the Skyrocket....hate that for ya!

Your low wing monoplanes just flew like angels headed to heaven!!!  Well done.  By the way, love your transport box.  Looks to be made of 1/2" foam.  You'll have to share some info on that sometime!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Easter Weekend Fun Flying in San Antonio
Apr 21st, 2019 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Took a group of models out Saturday morning with a friend and enjoyed the best flying weather we've had yet this year.  Good fun, although I proved the Skyrocket doesn't fly well with only one prop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmjE-9C9i9g

Mike

( 207 KB | 54 Downloads )
190420_Tigercat_Flyby_1_Cropped.jpg
( 209 KB | 43 Downloads )
190420_Tigercat_Flyby_4_Cropped.jpg
( 233 KB | 80 Downloads )
190420_Skyrocket_Launch_Cropped.jpg
( 210 KB | 57 Downloads )
190420_Skyrocket_Throws_a_Prop_Cropped.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1