Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Ben's Westwings Hawker Hurricane (Read 21998 times)
toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: Ben's Westwings Hawker Hurricane
Reply #65 - Apr 5th, 2020 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks Kerak and alfakilo
Hello everyone,
A long time since my last post.
A more recent photo of Ben's Hurricane.
I went on a Mediterranean cruise in June last year.
The week before I left I needed 2 x minor surgeries.
When I got back was slow to get restarted.
That's life.
But Ben and I are back to making the Hurricane again now.

( 57 KB | 68 Downloads )
IMG_8451.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #64 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Nice work, Ben...Toulouse!  Stay with it!  Smiley

My uncle (Australia) used to send letters telling us that it was winter...in the middle of our summer...and I just couldn't imagine it!  Of course, winter to my mind was sub-zero temps and much MUCH snow n' ice.  Shocked 

Stay warm n' dry....Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #63 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 5:48am
Print Post  
toulouse wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 11:57pm:
...I have looked for the Derek Robinson book "Piece of Cake" locally. 

It is not available from my library, but is available to buy.  I have looked at the start of the TV program, Episode 1, Series 1.  Hornet squadron is depicted in France in March 1940. 

I remember the TV series as being different than the book. Spitfires were used in the TV show simply because there were not enough flyable Hurricanes left.

The book was quite controversial in that it explored themes that were generally unappreciated and rarely discussed. Ineffective combat formations, poor gunnery proficiency, exaggerated kill claims, etc were subjects that the Battle of Britain true believers did not want to acknowledge. The personalities of the pilots were in stark contrast to the more typical "choir boy" view of the 'Few' as was popular in the UK.

Piece Of Cake is not a happy time read.

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #62 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Hi bigrip74,

We reserached:
(1) using a rubber roller, or glass bottle or kitchen rolling pin to produce the curve.  (2) Also looked at the soaking in water, and with various chemicals added. (3) We looked at a video of a guy, wearing safety glasses, using the heat of a lightbulb, to produce the curve. 

We selected an ordinary iron as simplest, fastest, and risk free.  We did not fancy using balsa glue with wet balsa.

Photo is of the iron we used. We didn't change the setting.  I think it was set on wool.  10 to 30 seconds is all it took.  You just iron on one side. and it curls.  The way it works is by drying out the moisture in the balsa on one side. 

Magic.

( 341 KB | 66 Downloads )
IMG_7976.JPG

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #61 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 12:08am
Print Post  
I would like to know more about the iron for bending the balsa. It seems to work pretty good and much faster then soaking in hot water over night.

The Hurricane is looking good Ben.

Bob

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #60 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
Kerak and alfakilo,

Firstly, thank you gentemen, for your attention to our build and your interesting historical and aeronautical information.

Alfakilo, for me it is great photo that you attached. 

I believe you are standing with your F4 Phantom with its serious armament. 

Kerak I can understand your enthusiasm and appreciation of the ground support aircrew and aircraft that supported the infantry on the ground. 

There were many ground support aircraft shot down by AA in Viet Nam.

So down under, we are moving into winter.  Nice sunny day here again, with very pleasant 11 degrees celsius, and no wind.  Snow to the North and snow to the South.

Ben was around with his family on Sunday night and glued in some stringers before dinner, while there was enough light to see well enough, in the garage. 

Ben is seriously busy at school just now.  On Sunday, Orienteering, Kayaking and Basketball.

There are 3 stringers to go now on the lower fuselage, in front of the LE of the wing.  There are 6 stringers to go on the lower rear of the fuselage from the TE of the wing to the stern post.

As members of the broken stringers and cross members club we researched solutions. 

Decided to use the hot, ordinary household iron, technique to pre-curve the stringers for the front of the fuselage. 

The photo shows the result with pre-curving the first stringer.  It is glued in now.

Thanks also Alfakilo as I have looked for the Derek Robinson book "Piece of Cake" locally. 

It is not available from my library, but is available to buy.  I have looked at the start of the TV program, Episode 1, Series 1.  Hornet squadron is depicted in France in March 1940. 

My understanding is there were no Spitfires in France at that time.  However with few Hurricanes available for a TV Series, Spitfires were the best option.

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2019 at 1:44am by toulouse »  

( 359 KB | 68 Downloads )
IMG_7973.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #59 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
What's happening down under, Toulouse?  Must have made a bit more progress on that Hurricane by now...Alf and I are anxious to see how it's going!  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #58 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Indeed, I'm certain that you are...and much appreciated by this guy, Alf.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #57 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Kerak wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:04am:
Pluck is the last guy to go in on an AA heavily defended ground target...or the guy who makes a "precision low-level run" on a target already "inside the wire." 
Neal

I think you misunderstood my use of the term. 'Pluck' is exactly what motivated us to press the attack where others might shy away. I flew close air support in Vietnam and am familiar with the idea.

( 71 KB | 69 Downloads )
U1.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #56 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Well Gents...as an outsider...a former "leg," "boot," a "ground-pounder," I have a deep appreciation for that less glorious role of ground-support...no fancy dog-fighting, no Red Baron instincts...just carrying the goods and saving the bacon...tactical love.  Pluck is the last guy to go in on an AA heavily defended ground target...or the guy who makes a "precision low-level run" on a target already "inside the wire."  Just my view....  Cool

Every minute that "ground support" had to wait in line on the taxi-way was a real heart-wrenching moment...that important.

Neal

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #55 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Toulouse, I share your interest in the Hurricane and those who flew it. Something about that airplane and that period has captured my attention for many a year. Perhaps it is my involvement in flying, or my half-English parentage, or boy's school experience.

One thought I came to has been that this subject is a bit romanticized, and as such, tends to diminish the very real accomplishments of the folks who took part. For those looking for a more down to earth look at this, I strongly recommend reading Piece Of Cake by Derek Robinson. The book, not the inadequate BBC production.

700 hours is not a small number in the fighter business. I flew many sorties where the flight time was about 30 minutes from takeoff to landing. Neither my F-104 or F-4 time exceeds 700 hours, and I flew each for about 4 years.

My view after 16 years in fighters was that there were a lot of pilots who flew fighters but not too many fighter pilots. It was that 'pluck' thing that set the two apart.

( 38 KB | 69 Downloads )
piece_of_cake.jpg

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #54 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
73 Squadron "still on patrol"....

Source  Mr S A Devon official RAF photographer.

The red white and blue markings on the Hurricane fins are the same as for the French Armee de l'Air aircraft of the time.

A few miles from here in Wellington Harbour is the former Shelley Bay, Royal New Zealand Air Base, for PBY, Sunderland and also US submarines during WW2. 

I went running from the base many times with the Hash House Harriers as guests of those members in the services. 

There is a memorial to the submariners nearby  honouring those US sailors who are "still on patrol"....

( 56 KB | 74 Downloads )
Royal_Air_Force_in_France__1939-1940__C1291.jpg

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #53 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
[quote author=5A575D5A505257543B0 link=1556334060/50#50 date=1560198262]I have always been intrigued by the young ages of many of the WW2 folks we mention here. I was 24 when I finished USAF pilot training with another 6 months to go in operational training before I would fly my first real mission. Kain was 21 and Bong was 24 when they were killed...

alfakilo, you are clearly an experienced pilot with  thousands of flying hours.

Cobber Kain had 700 hours at the time of his death.

He was an exceptional aerobatic pilot and in 1938 was chosen by the RAF to perform the aerobatic display on Empire Day.

I took some photos of his log book.

Flight Lieutenant J E (Ian) Scouler OC B Flight completed the last entries of hours in Cobbers log book and you can see the 700 solo hours entered.

Squadron Leader J W C More OC 73 Sqdn recorded the final entry in Cobber's Log Book.

"An exceptionally gallant and successful Fighter Pilot".

There is no question all these guys had pluck.  There is a photo in the Imperial War Museum London Archive.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207593

It shows Sqdn Leader More and six of his pilots after a sortie.  The IWM caption shows three of these died on 14 May 1940 and Cobber a few weeks later.  More and Scouler were both successful pilots.

( 217 KB | 67 Downloads )
IMG_7708.JPG

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #52 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
That's not been my experience, Toulouse.  If you spray it a second time...normally it will sag just like the first attempt...and then tighten up...again...just like the first attempt.

Be careful of warps.... Smiley

Gotta tell ya, Toulouse...I envy you're being able to play around in the cockpit of a real airplane as a kid...what I'd have given to be with you!  As it was...my pals and I had to content ourselves with an old derelict car as our pseudo B-17.  What we did to that poor old car!  Shocked  Imagine our surprise one day when a couple of men showed up...jumped the battery...it started...and they drove it away!!!!  Shocked  There went our bomber!!!!  Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Neal

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #51 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Have water sprayed the tailplane both sides and set out to dry.  If you spray more than once will the tissue get tighter.

( 332 KB | 73 Downloads )
IMG_7969.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint