Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Dave Rees Culver Dart (Read 5575 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: Dave Rees Culver Dart
Reply #73 - yesterday at 11:41am
Print Post  
Thank you Bob and welcome back, missed you.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #72 - yesterday at 4:05am
Print Post  
She is Beautiful Mike.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #71 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Hey...lookin' dandy, Mike!  I've been waiting for the crowning pinnacle...a propeller!  Just the same, the Dart is sweet...I especially like the lettering on the wing.  Smiley

Had a few beers at a brewery in Bruges...or was it Lubeck...someplace...anyway, so fortunate that it didn't exist locally...or it would have been my ruination! After a few of those steins...wouldn't need a propeller...or even an airplane!  Grin

Prop should be good for a couple of cigars together.  Wink  Incidentally, speed of a build isn't what matters...it's the builder's enjoyment that does.  That's a great looking model, Mike.  Congratulations...seriously. HERE'S TO YOU!

Neal

( 56 KB | 10 Downloads )
A_Few_Beers_with_Mike.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #70 - Oct 12th, 2020 at 8:02am
Print Post  
Quote:
Niceeeeeee...Mike.  I think when you've completed this model we should have a few beers.

Neal - Whenever your ready let me know.
Mike
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2020 at 1:43pm by New Builder »  

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Romeo_Delta

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #69 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
The colors add to the cleanliness of this build. I love it.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #68 - Oct 10th, 2020 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Thanks to Mike and Tom for the nice words. This was my first experience with color other than the stock tissue colors and was concerned about the weight, although it will probably not see any air time, at least not in the near future. The wing span is 22 inches, chord is 5 inches, 14 inches overall and came in at 47.25 grams as is. Too heavy? About right?
Mike

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #67 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
MKelly wrote on Oct 9th, 2020 at 2:03pm:
Nice Mike - love the shade and vividness of the green.

Mike

Just outstanding!!!
Tom

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #66 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Nice Mike - love the shade and vividness of the green.

Mike

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #65 - Oct 9th, 2020 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Finally put the finishing touches on the Dave Rees Culver Dart. The opening pictures show this version but I have a slight mod, radial engine. Finally figured out the fine art of vacuum forming, how high from the platen, extra material for attachment, etc., only took four tries. So here it is.
Mike

PS
Next up is the Orteig Prize. There are several airplanes that were either trying to participate or actually did. Two aviators from Paris started but never got to New York and were never found.

( 59 KB | 32 Downloads )
Dart_Top_and_Canopy.jpg
( 64 KB | 28 Downloads )
Dart_Right_Rear_and_Canopy.jpg
( 73 KB | 34 Downloads )
Dart_Top_Right_and_Canopy.jpg
( 79 KB | 27 Downloads )
Dart_Partial_top_and_Canopy.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #64 - Aug 22nd, 2020 at 6:39am
Print Post  
Brad - Thank  you for the good words. As to the Covid fatigue, I should say I have not contracted the virus but it has changed my life and I'm sure everyone else to the point where one wonders and hopes for the future. This has been a summer like no other and it is nearly ending but there will be another and, hopefully, a better one.

IP Logged

Brad
5 Star Member

Reply #63 - Aug 21st, 2020 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Fantastic work and beautiful plane.  I love the colors.

I hear you about Covid fatigue.  I think I'm working through a bit of that myself.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -  Philip K. Dick

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #62 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I've been quietly following your build too.  You've done an excellent job on the framework and covering.  There's not a wrinkle anywhere!  Incredible attention to this area of building.  Not many people can master this art of covering.  What's more, the flying surfaces are not warped either.  Congratulations!

I'm glad you went with yellow & green.  Black is just too severe. That's just my humble opinion of course.

The only advantage that I can think of aside from your personal choice of colors, is that it can hide many defects.  Since you're already a master of modeling & covering, this shouldn't be an issue. 

Historically speaking, black is a color of upper class.  Whether it's black limousines, black Cadillacs, black security cars, even royalty has always chosen black whether they're princes, kings, or sheiks, Playboy's Hugh Hefner's DC-9 "Bunny Plane" was also painted in overall black.

Gary

IP Logged

toulouse
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #61 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Beautiful.
Absolutely beautiful. Smiley

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #60 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
One would think with all the time I have on my hands more and better progress would be had, however, here we are. I firmly believe that I have Covid fatigue. Nonetheless, I am approaching the finish line. Need to spray the registration number on the bottom of the wing, carve and canopy plug and vacuum the canopy. This is my hardest problem, carving away mountains of balsa to get the plug just right. It is underway and I do work on it every day, should be ready by the weekend.
Mike

( 94 KB | 54 Downloads )
Dart_Cockpit_and_Dash.jpg
( 99 KB | 64 Downloads )
Dart_Right_Front_with_Cockpit_Color.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #59 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Greetings All - Apologies for being slow to reply, greatly appreciate the comments. It's been said many times that the final things takes nearly as much time as the original build and it's true. Making the canopy plug will consume me so am taking it slowly and splitting my time between that and the reg markings stencils. The markings for the tail will be challenging but not impossible, may try to prnt them on clear tissue and hope they turn out translucent enough to not block the color. We'll know soon enough.
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint