Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Producing a smooth surface on props and spinners (Read 345 times)
pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Re: Producing a smooth surface on props and spinners
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Just to add to Sky9pilot's reply. It will not happen with a single application. You will have to do it several times and sand with fine paper in between applications. When you apply the finish, it stiffens the balsa and balsa fibers stick up to give a rough surface. That is why you have to sand them off between applications. Normally, for that kind of finish, I have to do 5 or more applications.
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Producing a smooth surface on props and spinners
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 9:53am
Print Post  
There are several methods I've seen modelers use.  Here's a link to one method for balsa filler to seal and smooth grains in balsa: Click Here

Another is to fine sand the balsa down to 600 grit sand paper wet/dry used dry.  Then burnish with some thin cyano acrylate glue using Kleenex tissue or a smooth cloth wrag to a smooth finish then resand with fine grit sand paper. (be careful with the fumes they can attack the sinus membranes, also have some acetone to unstick fingers should you get too much glue on the tissue or cloth as you rub it in the balsa.)

Another method is to use auto primer/filler paint in several coats sanding between coats to arrive at a grain free smooth finish. Hope this is helpful for you.

Another method is to cover the surface with tissue using your favorite method and then finish it in one of the methods above using dope, cya, auto primer/filler etc.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

LewM

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Producing a smooth surface on props and spinners
Jun 8th, 2019 at 7:04am
Print Post  
As a scratch modeler, I'm often faced with having to carve spinners and props. I'd like to finish these items with a smooth non-porous surface with no indication of the grain. Any suggestions as to how I can do this?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint