Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Using colored Dope (Read 2517 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Using colored Dope
Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from Tissue Tips and Tricks [move by] Sky9pilot.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Thanks Mike, just was curious as to why you posted here.  I appreciate you posting your results of the EzeDope/paint mix not keeping.
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 6:48am
Print Post  
I posted here since it is mostly a tissue/color experiment and could be pertinent to any other build that anybody has going. I only do this because I like the experimental part of this hobby and may actually come on an idea that would work for everybody and in the course of this experiment I found the Eze Dope/watercolor blend was a complete bust at least as far as saving the color for future repair. Also the Fang build for the cookup seems to have "aged out" so I will post the pictures of the build in its near final stages complete with color.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Looking good. I'm curious why it's posted here rather than with the cookup with your build?

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Had set aside the color mix while I worked on the Fang and went back to it to see if it had held together and it had not. It had separated and developed really foul smell with large chunks on the bottom of the jar. It was so bad I poured it out and was in the local Michaels with my wife and was browsing thru the paint section and saw some Dr. Ph. Martins Bombay India ink and the red color looked like it could work by itself for the Fang but I bought some blue as well in case. Snowed here yesterday and temps today in the 20s with wind chill in single digits. Too cold for my garage spray booth so went to work in my building room and since it is watercolor, no problem. First picture is my spray booth and the second pic is the result of the paint trial. First stripe is out of the bottle. Second stripe has three drops of dark blue added and both were sprayed at 20 PSI. Second stripe looks like it will work.
Mike

( 68 KB | 89 Downloads )
Spray_Booth.jpg
( 96 KB | 119 Downloads )
Color_Comparisons.jpg

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Tom - I started this search mostly because I could not find a red tissue that had any substance at all and since I use domestic tissue only (ordering any tissue and paying cross border costs is way too much) the Hallmark white has the most density of all their products. So, flying in the face of the axiom of painting red on red, etc., I went with the white and set out to develop the color I wanted. Since I use Eze dope and it's water soluble, I reasoned I could color it with most any water based color I wanted so I chose watercolor since it is nearly transparent thinking it would give me color without clouding the translucency. It took two tubes of watercolor since I mixed up a lifetime supply of Eze dope in the standard 30/70 dilution. I started with red tissue and the results were less than good so went to the white and started with tissue stretched on my test frames and the color was way off being too much red. To get that Bing Cherry color shown in the photo it definitely needed blue so added what I thought would be enough, mixed it in and sprayed it on. The density added up very quickly and needed to be thinned considerably and the pressure increased on the airbrush. I tried brushing the mix and as I mentioned, it broke into streaks and was rather ugly. I went back to spraying and the result is very thin dope (seems to be thinner than the usual 30/70 mix) and 20 PSI at the airbrush.
Mike

( 132 KB | 72 Downloads )
Watercolor_tubes.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
I'm very interested in your process here with the EzeDope.  How are you arriving at the color and what is the acrylic paint you're using to get the color.  Is it artist acrylic in a tube?  This is very interesting. I'm following your progress!
Tom

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 7:43am
Print Post  
After several tests (this is not the Fang wing but a test wing I had laying around) with the color the actual application of the colored dope went very well. Found this cannot be brushed on since something in the watercolor addition causes the color to break into streaks and dries very ugly. This is the final color and application trial and airbrushing this on works very well. It goes on smoothly and dries much faster than the traditional Eze Dope by itself. Application took about five passes to get the density I wanted while still keeping some translucency. This is going to be my solution for tissue I cannot find in whatever color I need.
Mike

( 92 KB | 109 Downloads )
Final_Tissue_Color.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Went a bit further with the color for the Fang and sprayed the colored dope over white tissue until I got a fairly good density. I have never sprayed Eze dope but will from  now on. It went on exceptionally smooth and dried very quickly. The frame showing through the tissue is the vertical stab for the fang. It was laying on a jar lid and I laid the tissue and frame over it to see if there was any translucency and was nicely surprised. The color is not quite right and needs a little blue added to bring the color to the bing cherry color of the photos. Question now is, cover with white tissue and spray or cover with dyed tissue, shrinkage is the same either way. More soon.
Mike

( 60 KB | 100 Downloads )
Fang_Initial_Color.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Using colored Dope
Jul 31st, 2019 at 7:56am
Print Post  
I have been working on how to cover my Fang project to show as much continuity as possible between the balsa surfaces around the cowl and the open framework elsewhere. I started with Hallmark red tissue only to find it was nearly void of any color fibers but pushed on anyway. I reasoned that since I use water base dope I could color it with a water based material and settled on watercolor. After mixing the usual dilution (30/70) I added two tubes of Alizarin Crimson and stirred in using my powered tool. The second pic shows the results of that and definitely not acceptable but is progress, however the lack of density in the tissue is a non-starter and is showing signs of streaking. I have stretched plain white tissue on a frame and will pick up the test there and will spray the mixture if it continues to streak.
Mike

( 95 KB | 84 Downloads )
Tissue_1.jpg
( 103 KB | 92 Downloads )
Tissue_2_001.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint