Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Peck-Polymers DeHavilland DH-60 Gipsy Moth (Read 9545 times)
Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: Peck-Polymers DeHavilland DH-60 Gipsy Moth
Reply #52 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Well Dan, I believe that it survived for at least a couple of years as those photos were taken in 1969-70 after I'd returned from two years in Vietnam, etc.  Taken under lamp light in my wife and my first apartment in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Probably was broken during one of numerous moves.  Gone but not forgotten.

Neal

IP Logged

Dan
3 Star Member

Navy veteran and A&P holder

Reply #51 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Kerak wrote on Sep 30th, 2019 at 2:14pm:
Way before digital cameras (please excuse the photography).

Those are great photos, Neal. What became of that little-bitty model?

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #50 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Just ran across this picture Dan...the first of my VERY few pistachio scale attempts...Werner Voss' DIII ...you can just barely make out the red heart he had painted directly behind the cockpit...on top of the fuselage.  "Aim here!"  Cool

There is no way this model would ever fly...never intended to do so...but still constructed as an SnT...way back before digital cameras (please excuse the photography).  Model was constructed in a barracks...scratch.  Crude work indeed.  Wink

Neal

( 377 KB | Downloads )
Pistachio_scale__Albatross_DIII_1967_001.jpg

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #49 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 9:49am
Print Post  
As copied from their website 
"Often imitated, never duplicated, Ludwig snare drums have been the industry standard since 1911."
The choice of Richard Starkey  Grin
Don't know what Pete Best used  Embarrassed
Rat, tah tat

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #48 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 7:42am
Print Post  
Thank you again, everyone!  Smiley

You're right, Alf..."yard" is a great place for test glides, etc...but it's kicking my butt at this stage in life just to keep up with it.  Huh

Hey Dan!  Peanut models are very economic to build...and easy to store...and one can go just about as crazy during the build as one desires...but flying's another "kettle of fish," as they say (mixed metaphors ?).  There's a little phenomena known as THE SCALE EFFECT, i.e., air molecules are the same size for small airplanes as they are for LARGE aircraft.  Bigger really does fly better...but that's never stopped any of us from constructing these little sweethearts, has it.  Wink Smiley

Neo...had to stop and think about the Ludwig snare comment...and then the light went on!  Grin Grin Grin  Is it possible that Ludwig made snare drums in 1918?  Well, someone did, obviously.... Wink  (Who was looking at the drum?)

Just noticed through my window...as the sun peaks over the top of the mountain...lighting the tops of the trees.  Good morning, ALL!

Thanks again, Friends.

Neal

( 27 KB | Downloads )
THE_YARD_P1180978.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #47 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 6:28am
Print Post  
I don't know what I like best...the model or the yard! Great place to test fly a great plane!!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #46 - Sep 30th, 2019 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Yet another great build. Thanks for keeping me going, great inspiration.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #45 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
WoW...she is fantastic!!! Sun through the wings really looks great!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #44 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Your Peck-Polymers DeHavilland DH-60 Gipsy Moth is 100% pure eye candy,  Meine liebste  freund! Very smartly executed and the UTAH flies well indeed. Not to mention the conspectu solis Grin

Knew herr Stachel had a dubious screen history but didn't know of the historical involvement.

Oh yeah, the rat ta tat are not reflective of dual Spandau but more of the sound a Ludwig snare makes when struck Wink   Ursalaaaaa

Neo

IP Logged

Dan
3 Star Member

Navy veteran and A&P holder

Reply #43 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Great color scheme, and I like the registration number! I really want to take a crack at building a peanut-scale model someday. I considered a pistachio-scale, but I'm a little reluctant to work with 1/32."

Building stick-and-tissue models is a hobby, not work.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #42 - Sep 29th, 2019 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Lotsa rain here...no matter...free water.  Smiley

Careful you don't burn those barrels out, Neo.  Wink  That old flick...Blue Max really was a wonderful movie.  Script-writers took bits of historical characters, mixed n' matched to come up with a plot.  Did you know...it wasn't really "Bruno Stockel" who was killed in that "experimental monoplane," it was Hauptman Wilhelm Reinhard...MvonRichthofen's replacement as CO of JG1!  And the pilot who flew that aircraft first at Adlershof (sp) was really Herman Goring...who in reality became Reinhard's replacement as Geschwader Kommodor!  Quite the movie...even today.  Buttttt...it was Ursula (Katie von Krugerman) with that towel wrapped round her neck that tried to steal the show.  Roll Eyes

And at last...we come to the conclusion of my peanut De Havilland Gipsy Moth DH60...scratch-built from a Pecks-Polymers plan (although I have the full kit).  Landing gear could use even more detail...but this is as far as I'll take it.

Thank you all.

Neal

( 155 KB | Downloads )
DeHavilland_DH-60_Gipsy_Moth_Fig__2.JPG
( 139 KB | Downloads )
DeHavilland_DH-60_Gipsy_Moth_Fig__1.JPG

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #41 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Rat...Tah...Tat...Tah...Tat...Tah...Tat...Tah...Tat...Tah...Tat...Tah...Tat.....
...Tah...Tat.........Tah......Tat...............Tah...................Tat!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #40 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Definitely been rainy up here and the temp is getting a bit chillier as well...But the sun does peak through from time to time!!! Smiley

She really pops in the sunlight!!! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #39 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
I was thinking details more in the nature of some registration letters and maybe some detail on that landing gear.  It's all added weight now...nothing to contribute to flying...only looks.

That exhaust pipe is an ugly design...was back when DH tacked it on.  Could have been directed downward under the fuselage/wing.  A couple of WW1 types had those long exhaust pipes...the SPAD and the SE's.  Pilots always hated them...HOT...one had to be careful when "egressing" from the aircraft.  Jimmy McCudden even went so far as having his mechanics cut them off all together.  Got to wonder about the back-pressure they produced on an engine.  And a muffler?  Wink Cheesy Grin

I've seen photos of the Gipsy Moth with the exhaust pipe on either side...and completely removed as well.

How about those DH82's in The Blue Max...trying to get EXPERTS like ourselves to accept them as SE's! Shocked Cheesy Grin  Hey...I love that movie...made a special trip to see it on the Big Screen when it debuted!  Smiley  Ursulaaaaaaa. Wink

Neal

IP Logged

neoflight
4 Star Member

...now how am I gonna
get that down!

Reply #38 - Sep 28th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I always felt the Gipsy Moth was somewhat of a bland precursor to the DH82. But the way you've presented this little gem has elevated my respect to an absolute WOW   Truly ready for the Queen's ball Smiley

By the way, thanks for the outdoor promenade. Outdoor light always brings out the best in a bipe. I know you stated there were additional bits and pieces to finish up with. Will the elongated right sided muffler exhaust be in the running?

Cheers
Neo

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint