Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Using foam in our models (Read 1173 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Using foam in our models
Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I re-read Ian's post...that's a great point.  If the foam isn't sealed you can't be sure what the various finishing products will do to the foam.  That's why I highly suggest that the foam be sealed completely with something like yellow carpenter's glue thinned or something like that.  Most aerosol paint cans will attack the foam along with any acetone or laquer based products.  Once sealed, these other products can be applied with care over the sealed foam. Foam can be a modeler's real friend when it comes to all the "fiddly bits" that scale models seem to demand!
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the info, I think I know a little more now than before!

But, in acquiring this knowledge, I realized I may have missed the point. This isn't the "Make A Flying Model As Light As Possible" forum.

Not saying that this would be a bad thing, of course, but I realized that I needed to remember why I was here, and that was to rekindle the fun first seen as a boy. And so that's where I'll leave it. I might tinker around the edges but all said and done, it's all about stick and tissue. For me, at least!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2019 at 6:55am
Print Post  
Tom - Thanks for posting these items on foam and the ones regarding wheels clears up a lot of the mystery. I'm a big fan of Maxflyart on YouTube and watch how his foam wheels come out so well but could not understand the process leading up to the sanding of the wheel and how to get the hole in the center of the wooden plug. All clear now. I made balsa wheels for my Culver Dart and they were a bit clumsy so will give the foam a try. Thanks again.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 10:32am
Print Post  
It's always a good idea to seal the foam with something.  I often use thinned yellow carpenter's glue.  I like it because it's sandable.  I use a thin first coat that usually brings out the grain/surface imperfections.  I then sand lightly with 320 then 400 to 600. Once I'm satisfied with the feel (an old autobody repair trick, hands are better than eyes when it comes to smoothness).  Another thin coat and 600 grit sanding.  From here I determine whether another coat is necessary to make sure that there is no foam showing through the sealer.  After this some modelers will apply a layer of tissue over the finished foam piece.  Due to the color of the foam you may want to treat the finished product with a light coat of acrylic paint (that won't attack the foam) to match the color of the balsa so the finished tissue won't show the foam as a different color. 
Sky9pilot

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 7:38am
Print Post  
AK - Any building supply center, Lowes, etc. It's in the insulation section of the building dept. I get blue foam from Lowes.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
OK, where do I get this stuff?

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Just a note. Before using your foam in the model, try your finishing technique on the foam to be sure that it won't become dissolved or misshapen when it is too late to correct it. I was hoping to use a bit of foam in my last project, but the Krylon made it shrink, so I abandoned that idea.

ian

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 11:58am
Print Post  
Many thanks to Tom for starting this topic. I'm thinking about a foam fuselage for my next project but have zero experience with the stuff. So, if you have tips or techniques particularly valuable to a first timer, please post them here!

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Using foam in our models
Oct 10th, 2019 at 11:03am
Print Post  
As noted in the heading...FAC restricts the use of foam to the smaller components of a build; such as wheels, scoops, machine gun covers, fairings, tail cones, etc.  I have noticed that some of the builders on HPA are building fuselages and whole models from foam.  I'll post a few articles that I have found from various sources such as newsletters and forums for "How To's" for making the various components. 
Sky9pilot

Foam_WheelsMaking.pdf ( 1083 KB | 70 Downloads )
FoamMakingThings.pdf ( 99 KB | 68 Downloads )
FoamSlicer.pdf ( 269 KB | 62 Downloads )
FoamWheelsDowelCenter.pdf ( 66 KB | 59 Downloads )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint