Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) P-38 Lightning 1st static build (Read 8856 times)
thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: P-38 Lightning 1st static build
Reply #74 - Aug 8th, 2022 at 9:30am
Print Post  
    There has been alot of companies change hands lately in the business. I glad your not one of them that got dumped.  Several folks have just been shut down with no pay card or fuel card.
    I found that small companies are better than the mega giants. Good luck and stay safe.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #73 - Aug 7th, 2022 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Outstanding and hope to see progress as soon as you can find the time in all that's on your agenda!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

ibscrooge

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #72 - Aug 7th, 2022 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the info and the offer but I can say that my heart and soul of gold wife found me a replacement on eBay for a great price so all is well but I have some rebuilding to accomplish now so it is onward and forward into the valley of death I ride!!!. Side note on when rebuilding will commence. After our company was bought up and complete restructuring done with most of the people I have known for years having to find other arrangements I too have moved on to new digs with a small family oriented company. I start there towards the end of August so plan on going on vacation next week then on to Orientation after. Plan on the rebuild coming soon afterwards! Thank you everyone for your help and I hope to keep the plans for a 3 view build for an attempt for a flight worthy version as well!

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #71 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Would this help?
I think I leave out again Tuesday or Wednesday.

( 85 KB | 28 Downloads )
20220723_202815.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #70 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
  I have series doubts about expanding foam on these things.   Might I suggest carving from regular foam and then cover it all with tissue.  Just glue a block onto the nose and whittle slowly down to shape.

A "Hot Knife" is pretty cheap and alot of fun with blue foam or even the pink stuff. Its a wire that gets warm and melts its way thru the foam super quickly. Save alot of sanding shavings and dust when working with foam.  Giant blocks and pieces of white foam would work real well and that stuff falls from the sky these days. LOL. Every amazon box we get is loaded with it.

IP Logged

ibscrooge

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #69 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this will work but I have been toying around with the idea of rebuilding the front cowling by using excess pieces of plastic and then using an expandable foam to fill the interior the cover the foam with sheet. What do you all think of this as a work around??

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #68 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Stubborn doesn't hurt but a bit of patience helps as well.  Sometimes walking away and coming back later helps also! Don't ask how I know! Embarrassed Roll Eyes Cheesy

IP Logged

ibscrooge

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #67 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Thank you Sky9 going to attempt a rebuild using recut parts and hopefully new plastic from Guillows since it is just tedious things that will bog me down I think I am going to approach this as a ďIt will not get the better of me attitude ď Or maybe Iím just stubborn 🤔

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #66 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Glad to hear that you haven't given up!  You could always fabricate the plastic parts from balsa formers and stringer and balsa block for the nose section of the booms.  I haven't ordered from Guillows so I'm not sure their policy but I believe some of the modelers here have had experience replacing some plastic parts and have found Guillows very customer friendly.
Best of luck which ever route you go!!

IP Logged

ibscrooge

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #65 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Note I have not thrown in the towel just yet but have due to the circumstances decided to rebuild some key components including a rebuild of the wing and will be recutting the ribs of the destroyed right fuselage I donít know If I can get just those plastic parts or if I have to order a parts compilation

IP Logged

ibscrooge

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #64 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:01am
Print Post  
Well apparently I have created a catastrophic event in regards to my build. In essence my oversized posterior came in close proximity to my work and resulted in a failure. Completely demoralized at this point and it seems that in order to continue I will have to make a call to Guillows for more plastic parts and rebuild from scratch so I unfortunately have to let you all know that for the time being this project is on hold. Sad Cry

( 23 KB | 28 Downloads )
962A085B-88ED-4069-A768-4B46A5772053.jpeg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #63 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
It's always a challenge to have your detachable wing panels mount back together exactly.† I use the building table to pin the sections together to assist in placing locating pins and rods that will enable the easy removal and replacement of the wing panels.†

Once in place on the board, I use solid ribs at each wing panel joint and then with a small rattail file or hand drill to drill the holes I'm goin to place locating pin (often wooden toothpicks)through.† I then slip the pin in place and glue from the back side so the glue doesn't get between the two adjoining ribs. Hope this makes sense.†

If using rods that telescope into each other, I start as above locating the holes. (One will be the OD (outside diameter of larger tube) size and the other will be the ID(internal diameter of the larger tube/OD of the inner tube) size.† The larger tube is usually in the larger wing section (Root Section of the wing) where the smaller telescoping tube is in the small or outer wing section and slides into the larger tube about an inch or so for static models, a bit more for flying models.
There is also a tongue and box setup for detachable wing panels.† Check out my DeHavilland Canada Dash 8 construction for that.† It has pictures to help clarify at the bottom of the page. The outer wing panels, outside the engine nacelles detach. Click Here

IP Logged

ibscrooge

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #62 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Damage to the wing that is now being addressed thinking of breaking the wing up into 3 sections for assembly and ease of construction but afraid it will be hard to keep the wing completely straight if made in sections

( 99 KB | 24 Downloads )
714E86D5-9BBC-4582-B8FD-0B27C7FA3879.jpeg
( 81 KB | 22 Downloads )
E41D9A46-98A8-430B-9846-D83DC96DE47D.jpeg

IP Logged

A26 Invader
3 Star Member

My next one will be better!

Reply #61 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Your infill looks fantastic.  I've done a bit of infill and know how much patience it takes.  Kudos to you!

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #60 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
Super nice build. Your putting a lot of effort into it, it will look great!!

Not sure how I missed this build. I've been kinda missing lately. I also drive a truck and I live in Springfield. I also have that kit but never finished mine.
Good luck with yours. Looks great so far.

Back when I built in the truck, I got a large box and padded the inside, for travel. Styrofoam enables you to build a box big enough to transport the thing whole. and stays pretty solid. 1 inch foam glues together nicely and you can duct tape the edges for wear and tear.†

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint