Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) P-38 Lightning 1st static build (Read 15100 times)
ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Re: P-38 Lightning 1st static build
Reply #79 - Nov 5th, 2022 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
Have a progress report on my rebuild. Starting the cockpit area and had two ways of going forward with that. One is to use heavier gauge aluminum foil like a disposable baking pan and the other one is a balsa build up. The foil would look nicer but the balsa box would be easier so hit me with some good options guys!!

( 23 KB | 28 Downloads )
22801891-4FD8-4A4C-8B73-BB6AF9050E50.jpeg
( 29 KB | 35 Downloads )
891541A6-91B1-425C-B0F3-84C32149F0C5.jpeg

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #78 - Oct 20th, 2022 at 7:24am
Print Post  
Sorry thymekiller should have clarified the part pictured is actually over or on top of the drawn part and a close up of the photo would show the difference in the lines the drawn photo above the part is of a different part. I should have gotten a better photo or done a better closeup. In any case the the original part matches up with the keel better than I thought it would leading to suspect that the drawn part on the plans are the culprit.

Thank you for the offer will be on the road until the 28th then home time to winterize the camper. This version is going to be a bit different and some changes will be made to the cockpit area and landing gear areas to get a better outcome I am hoping. Nothing ventured nothing gained right?? Had some ideas gleaned from other posters and hope to incorporate them into this new version.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2022 at 10:56am by ibscrooge »  

( 27 KB | 25 Downloads )
88D3133C-2644-4B68-AA65-944F2305724B.jpeg
( 24 KB | 39 Downloads )
83C068E9-E3D5-4468-B383-38AEB99574CB.jpeg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #77 - Oct 10th, 2022 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
   Maybe I'm wrong, In my opinion, The part in the pic is NOT the part drawn in the same pic. Those are 2 different parts. Guillows drawings are generally pretty good.  Something else about those 1000 series models, there are parts in there that only apply if you build that option, for example the moveable wing surfaces have parts and procedures you wont need if your just building static.  Same with landing gear. I think there may even be a separate plan set for static rather than flyable.

I'm home this week if you need some help. Home till friday. I just live in Springfield, by the Budweiser place. West bypass and Chestnut.  Maybe 15 minutes from you, give or take.  Not trying to get into your business or anything, but we do share alot in comman.

",,,The road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #76 - Oct 10th, 2022 at 9:34am
Print Post  
As you can see parts fit does not match up to the drawn plans and not sure if this is due to bad artwork or die cutting. Also there are several areas notably on the lower keel where a longeron is simply not shown either on the part plan or the part itself but is shown on the building directions and on the B2 Part. I’ve already covered this in my earlier build attempts before the catastrophic destruction occurred. However I don’t think I took photos so am including this go around. Not sure if it matters since I will be doing complete infill but thought I would mention it.

( 28 KB | 42 Downloads )
70BC9CCB-BE60-4C06-BB72-5D5B684EC903.jpeg

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #75 - Oct 2nd, 2022 at 9:38am
Print Post  
  Well folks I’m back to rolling the road and have now gotten to the point of starting my rebuild. I don’t know how much of it to post since I did put up photos of the original build. Going to be using the old wrinkled up plans so I can save the new ones for a future build of a flying version.

I also want to add that I will be probably making some changes from my original version in some areas since much of the original was uncharted territory but I have since gained more insight and help from others here achieve the best look.

( 22 KB | 40 Downloads )
4F4742AA-A140-42C2-A311-DF3C6805470D.jpeg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #74 - Aug 8th, 2022 at 9:30am
Print Post  
    There has been alot of companies change hands lately in the business. I glad your not one of them that got dumped.  Several folks have just been shut down with no pay card or fuel card.
    I found that small companies are better than the mega giants. Good luck and stay safe.

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #73 - Aug 7th, 2022 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Outstanding and hope to see progress as soon as you can find the time in all that's on your agenda!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #72 - Aug 7th, 2022 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the info and the offer but I can say that my heart and soul of gold wife found me a replacement on eBay for a great price so all is well but I have some rebuilding to accomplish now so it is onward and forward into the valley of death I ride!!!. Side note on when rebuilding will commence. After our company was bought up and complete restructuring done with most of the people I have known for years having to find other arrangements I too have moved on to new digs with a small family oriented company. I start there towards the end of August so plan on going on vacation next week then on to Orientation after. Plan on the rebuild coming soon afterwards! Thank you everyone for your help and I hope to keep the plans for a 3 view build for an attempt for a flight worthy version as well!

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #71 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Would this help?
I think I leave out again Tuesday or Wednesday.

( 85 KB | 49 Downloads )
20220723_202815.jpg

IP Logged

thymekiller
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #70 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
  I have series doubts about expanding foam on these things.   Might I suggest carving from regular foam and then cover it all with tissue.  Just glue a block onto the nose and whittle slowly down to shape.

A "Hot Knife" is pretty cheap and alot of fun with blue foam or even the pink stuff. Its a wire that gets warm and melts its way thru the foam super quickly. Save alot of sanding shavings and dust when working with foam.  Giant blocks and pieces of white foam would work real well and that stuff falls from the sky these days. LOL. Every amazon box we get is loaded with it.

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #69 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this will work but I have been toying around with the idea of rebuilding the front cowling by using excess pieces of plastic and then using an expandable foam to fill the interior the cover the foam with sheet. What do you all think of this as a work around??

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #68 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Stubborn doesn't hurt but a bit of patience helps as well.  Sometimes walking away and coming back later helps also! Don't ask how I know! Embarrassed Roll Eyes Cheesy

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #67 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 7:12am
Print Post  
Thank you Sky9 going to attempt a rebuild using recut parts and hopefully new plastic from Guillows since it is just tedious things that will bog me down I think I am going to approach this as a “It will not get the better of me attitude “ Or maybe I’m just stubborn 🤔

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #66 - Jul 22nd, 2022 at 1:08am
Print Post  
Glad to hear that you haven't given up!  You could always fabricate the plastic parts from balsa formers and stringer and balsa block for the nose section of the booms.  I haven't ordered from Guillows so I'm not sure their policy but I believe some of the modelers here have had experience replacing some plastic parts and have found Guillows very customer friendly.
Best of luck which ever route you go!!

IP Logged

ibscrooge
2 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #65 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 7:06am
Print Post  
Note I have not thrown in the towel just yet but have due to the circumstances decided to rebuild some key components including a rebuild of the wing and will be recutting the ribs of the destroyed right fuselage I don’t know If I can get just those plastic parts or if I have to order a parts compilation

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Send TopicPrint