Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wing Reinforcement Question (Read 1620 times)
alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Re: Wing Reinforcement Question
Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Here's an attempt to summarize much of what I learned from others.

Green is the sheet diagonals that replace the ribs aft of the spar, alternating in a W pattern. Very effective in reducing twisting.

Red is the shear web that Tom described. Sheet infill between the top and bottom spars, grain is vertical. May only need webs in the first couple of bays. Very effective in reducing wing flex up and down.

Yellow shows gussets on the trailing edge/rib joints.

Blue shows bracing that runs from the top of one rib to the bottom of the adjacent rib. May help in reducing twist. Arrange in W pattern.

Pink shows bracing that runs in an X pattern in the bottom of each rib bay. May be combined with the blue bracing.

Not shown is something called a D Box which is a method of building up the leading edge to resist twisting. I thought the discussion of this was more appropriate for larger, RC type planes.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2019 at 7:09pm by alfakilo »  

( 77 KB | 73 Downloads )
Wing_Techniques.jpg

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 6:33am
Print Post  
AK - Absolutely great work and showing a great touch. You got some great advice from everywhere but the diagonals for ribs is great. I'm thinking this would work at any scale if the diagonals were spaced a bit closer together. I'll add this to my techniques file.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Looks great AK... Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2019 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Both here and at HPA, I got a lot of really helpful advice. Here's the start of a 10" P-51A (NA-73X) where I'm trying out some of those ideas.

Notice the 1/32" sheet diagonals that replace the aft ribs. This has significantly reduced the tendency to twist. Left wing is the basic construction, right wing shows diagonals sanded to shape.

The fuselage keel bracing will be removed once the formers have been added.

( 26 KB | 63 Downloads )
na73_build_2.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I think you'll find the gussets a great addition.  Sorry for not clarifying the "Shear Web" suggestion. 

For those who haven't Googled it yet=
Shear webs essentially turn a pair of spars into an I-beam. There is a reason why this shape is used for construction of buildings. It is light and strong. The webs add tremendous strength to the wing construction and help prevent a spar from compressing to the point of failure. (please note that the shear web has vertical grain between the spars for additional compressability strength.)
Pic below shows the shear web between the two spars, upper and lower spars.  Usually added to the wing beyond the fuselage out past the location of landing gear for support and strength and sometime clear out to the tip bay of the wing panels.

( 8 KB | 67 Downloads )
shearweb_pic.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2019 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Thanks to all for some good info! Thanks to Google, now I know what a 'shear web' is!!

I also posted this question at HPA and again received some excellent info.

Since my objective is minimum weight, I've decided to add a second 1/16" spar under the top one (thanks, Tom!) and will add gussets to the TE rib joint (thanks to HPA). The TE is pretty soft and needs some stiffening.

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
Not an engineer, but for the 3-D structure, in order to be effective, the angle from top of rib to bottom of the next rib would likely have to be at least 15 degrees to have any appreciable affect on stiffening. I just use an I-beam spar for that purpose. But the X-structure for the ribs adds a lot of stiffness.
ian

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Not an engineer by any means, but couldn't resist throwing in my "2-cents" worth.  The blue and green lines show a partial "truss" style with the blue giving you some 3D effect.  The black lines give you the full "truss" build techniques with the complete 3D effect.  If you're going to add balsa to the wing to avoid twist I'd go with the black lines.  You do realize that the drawing shows a full spar and your Cessna doesn't have a full spar but just an upper spar of 1/16" sq balsa if I'm correct. I think an additional ventral spar will add some twist resistance.  You might even include some shear webs from the middle out to the 3rd or 4th rib on each side for strength...but that's really over kill.  Our senior modelers before me (that makes them really seniors) were able to make em fly with just the upper spar and strong leading and trailing edges... Roll Eyes Shocked Wink

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Wing Reinforcement Question
Nov 4th, 2019 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Here's a question for the structural engineers in the group!!

I'm considering adding some 1/16" stringers to a very basic wing structure, the idea is to 'stiffen' the wing a bit to resist twisting.

In the attached pic, the blue stinger runs from the top of one rib to the bottom of the adjacent rib (three dimensional). The green stringer shows a stringer running from the bottom of one rib to the bottom of another (two dimensional).

Does the 'three dimensional' arrangement provide more resistance to twisting than the 'two dimensional' arrangement?

Should the stringers be placed in a 'W' (sawtooth) arrangement, or should they be placed parallel to each other?

Or should I use some other design?

( 55 KB | 52 Downloads )
wing_supports.jpg
( 57 KB | 78 Downloads )
stringer_arrangement.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint