Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tinting a Canopy with Rit dye! Neoflight (Read 409 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Tinting a Canopy with Rit dye! Neoflight
Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Another option Alphakilo is to use Dr. Martins India Ink and airbrush the inside of the canopy in light coats till you get the density of tint you desire.  The inks are very translucent and clean with water or I use the Dollar Store version of Windex.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2020 at 7:07am
Print Post  
This has been a lot of time and effort for something that I imagine is not used that often in our hobby. I have not gotten acceptable results but I have made a little progress.

Not all dyes work the same. Not all plastics accept dying the same.

High temperatures may allow the dye to penetrate the plastic better, but one major caution! Don't 'melt' the plastic! In one test, I used an old vacuformed canopy and ended up with a plastic glob when the canopy deformed in the hot dye (the dye was not boiling, it was just 'hot').

This isn't necessarily a 'dip it and be done' exercise! It may take considerable time for the dye to penetrate, and depending on the type of plastic, it may not penetrate at all.

All said and done, I bought some blue plastic sheet at Hobby Lobby and used my vacuform to make the Skyraider canopy parts. The color is too dark but I'll go with it.

If anyone has a successful way to do this, please post how you do it!!

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Tried the RIT DyrMore and it seemed to be better at tinting the plastic but when dry, the plastic seemed to 'fog' over (definitely not sparkly clear). Also, during retries, the plastic came out with 'blotches' or some sort of residue on it. This is a work in progress!!

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 7:17am
Print Post  
AK - Looking forward to your results and thank you for doing this. IMHO a subtle tint to a canopy or windshield can bring some great results and add a lot of life to the subject.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 6:06am
Print Post  
Continuing to work with this concept. Found info that suggests not all dyes are the same when it comes to coloring plastic.

Everyday clothing dyes may not be effective. RIT makes something called Rit DyeMore Advanced Liquid Dye that may be the trick. Another brand called iDye Poly may also be effective. Cost is reasonable, around $5 each, available thru Amazon.

Adding humor to the subject is that there are products designed to change the color of plastic fishing lures (worms, crawdads, etc).

I've ordered all three and will post results this weekend.

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Here's the result from a test strip. Blotchy(more than it appears) and as the two-tone part shows, can be rubbed off(right side of strip). RIT Royal Blue, plain water, medium warm, color deepened with additional wettings.

Any suggestions?

( 151 KB | 17 Downloads )
dye_test.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Tinting a Canopy with Rit dye! Neoflight
Dec 23rd, 2019 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
You may already be aware of this but if you are in need of tinted perspex, windows et al, vacuform or cut out that which you need then purchase a cloth dye such as RIT Dye at the local Walmart, Costco, Target, Dollar Store, in your choice of colour. Find an old saucepan (resist the urge to choose one from the wife's livery - this process will more than likely ruin it) or purchase a cheap one of your own. Put a respectable amount of water in the pan, heat to temp that will not deform your part. Introduce and stir in measured doses of dye crystals until hue seems darker than desired. You then place part into liquid, removing occasionally to check for what is wanted. More than likely you'll have to jostle with time in bath, temp and intensity of dye fluid but when you get it, the results are very pleasing.

Neoflight
This was taken from the 2019-2020 Winter Cookup.  Placed here for easy access!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint