Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Black tissue lettering (Read 336 times)
New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: Black tissue lettering
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2019 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
Tissue is so delicate..I keep tearing it....

I have had that trouble also and it was a result of something on the cutting surface under the tissue and the blade runs into it and drags it along tearing the tissue. A new piece of foam board and a new blade is the answer. I use scalpel blades, seem to be a bit sharper.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Did you read the article on sandwich cutting letters and numbers by chance? Tissue letters and numbers† †Just a hint here.† You can coat the back of the tissue with glue stick and let it dry then sandwich the tissue between wax paper on the glue side and two sheets of bond paper on the outside of the tissue layers. Use the number of tissue layers you'll need for all the letters and numbers for your aircraft.† I usually draw or print the letters or numbers on the bond paper to use as a pattern for cutting them out.† Tape the sandwiches down tightly to a cutting pad or foam board from the Dollar Store.† Using a new Xacto knife cut out the letters.† The glue stick can be reactivated with rubbing alcohol in a small brush while they are in place on the model.† If they don't stick good enough, used thinned white glue to reseal them.† A little goes along way! So use a small brush and use it sparingly.
Sky9pilot

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kaintuck
3 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Iím gonna try Undecided
Tissue is so delicate..I keep tearing it....

IP Logged

pb_guy
5 Star Member

So I'm just a kid at heart.

Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2019 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Use the glue-stick really lightly on the back of the pattern, or let it mostly dry out. When you attach the tissue to the 'back' of your pattern, the letters come out the right way. Then you can glue it down with a wash of thinner, or dope, or 'Future'. And if you 'paint' your tissue before cutting it out, it will make it stiffer for cutting.

ian

IP Logged

Kaintuck
3 Star Member

Controled landings are
best!

Black tissue lettering
Dec 28th, 2019 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Iíve been trying to do the lettering on my chambermaid....looks bad. Do you reverse the lettering in a computer, then glue stick to tissue to cut out?...I donít have access to a useable printer so, stick n cut is the only way I can work...
Marc

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint