Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DAP Filler Problem (Read 2605 times)
bigrip74
Ex Member

Re: DAP Filler Problem
Reply #15 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 11:51am
Print Post  
alfakilo wrote on Jan 4th, 2020 at 9:57am:
Sounds promising! I'm looking for a durable filler after having a problem vacuforming the Turbo Mustang canopy. I had to redo the canopy after a couple of small bubbles popped up during the vacuforming, I think it may have been the reaction of the DAP filler to heat.

I had no problems with the method I mentioned alf, The canopy for the Pilatus came out great. No heat problems while vacuuming.

( 254 KB | 77 Downloads )
IMG_4220_001.jpg
( 187 KB | 100 Downloads )
PTP065_001.jpg
( 327 KB | 82 Downloads )
PTP068_001.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Sounds promising! I'm looking for a durable filler after having a problem vacuforming the Turbo Mustang canopy. I had to redo the canopy after a couple of small bubbles popped up during the vacuforming, I think it may have been the reaction of the DAP filler to heat.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2020 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Bob - Nothing too precise here. I start with about a tablespoon of coffee whitener and add some slightly diluted white glue, about the same ratio, otherwise it turns to a sticky mess, then add water to thin to the desired thickness. Be sure to use the whitest whitener as some have a tan tone, not a bad thing I guess, may come closer to the color of our wood. Paint it on across the grain otherwise any remaining brush strokes will pull it (or any other filler) out of the grain we are trying to fill. To decide if it is cured, sand it with a fine paper and if powdered, fine, otherwise needs more time. This filler dries glossy and also needs more sanding than any of the other fillers but is very hard and durable.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
NB, do you have a ratio? I would  like to give it a try.

Bob

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 6:21am
Print Post  
If you want a more esoteric filler try coffee whitener, white glue and water. I've used this and it dries clear but glossy. Sands well and fills well and you never need to go to hardware store for filler, all right at home. I got this from the net when I broke one of my wife's plaster statues, she still doesn't know.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
I learned this from an FAC article a while back.

Filling balsa cowlings, wingtips, and other solid surfaces can be a chore.

An effective filler can be made from equal parts of vinyl spackling compound and carpenters wood filler.

Add a few drops of water to bring the mixture to the consistency of pancake batter.

brush water onto the wood surface to be filled for better penetration, then brush on the filler mixture.

Let it dry, and carefully sand the surface with fine sandpaper until smooth.

Finish with two coats of sanding sealer (dope and talc mixture) sanding each coat when dried. The result may look mottled, but it is glassy smooth and paints beautifully.

This is what I use:

( 189 KB | 73 Downloads )
IMG_4219.jpg
( 254 KB | 73 Downloads )
IMG_4220.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Here are two more possibilities, a Sherman Williams and a Red Devil lightweight spackle. I've tried them both and they seem to go on and sand OK, not rubbery like the DAP spackle is.

( 19 KB | 72 Downloads )
RD_spackle.jpg
( 15 KB | 73 Downloads )
SW_spackle.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:02am
Print Post  
alfakilo wrote on Dec 31st, 2019 at 11:38am:
The vinyl-based stuff says no sanding required. I can't for the life of me see how that will work when filling cracks and holes in drywall.

They must expect you to be pretty handy at wielding a putty knife!!! I've never known a drywall patch that never needed sanding and feathering in to the surounding areas.

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I go to my local hardware store and pick up the Elmers Wood Filler. It is pretty fine grained and water soluble so I dilute it with a small amount of water and paint it on in a slurry and cleanup with soap and water. It is also tan in color so blends with balsa and sands very well so can be done as often as necessary to get the coverage you want.
Mike

( 104 KB | 67 Downloads )
Filler.jpg

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2019 at 11:38am
Print Post  
The vinyl-based stuff says no sanding required. I can't for the life of me see how that will work when filling cracks and holes in drywall.

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2019 at 10:38am
Print Post  
This may be a bit of over-kill...but years ago when I was doing my thing with wallboard and interior house finishing, I used to purchase wall-joint compound in 5 gal. buckets.  Discovered that the stuff worked wonderfully over balsa planking joints...sanded, doped, and then sealed with tissue on scale rc models.  I say it's over-kill because the material is still available in building supply centers like Home Depot...at a very reasonable price...how about $15 for 5 gallons!  Believe me, sandability was very important for me because I wasn't worth a lick at doing one-swipe wallboard joints.  Grin  Is definitely water-based.  Five gallons of the stuff will last you FOREVER.  Maybe it comes in smaller amounts....

Neal

PS...I suppose that I wasn't that bad at doing the wall joints...because after doing a couple of rooms downstairs and then going to work the next day...I came home to discover that the wife and kids had already painted it all! "But I needed to sand it!" I protested.  "Looked ready for paint to us...."  And so it stands to this day.  Roll Eyes

( 67 KB | 79 Downloads )
usg-sheetrock-brand-joint-compound-380119048-64_1000.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
It might be...I'm thinking it was from Tower Hobbies so it might be another manufacturer??

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Might be this. Works pretty well but I think the old DAP is less grainy and sands better.

( 31 KB | 91 Downloads )
hobbico.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
I think you've solved the difference there! I found a similar product in the local hobby shop that has been tinted to match the balsa wood color.  I'll have to take a picture of the container and post it.  It's like the original "non-vinyl" formula. 

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2019 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Continuing to read up on this. Several mentions that DAP has gone to a 'vinyl' formula which may cause the rubbery texture and poor sanding.

Sherman Williams has a lightweight spackle that may work, will check today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint