Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Back to my roots...a Comet Models Spad VII (Read 9603 times)
Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: Back to my roots...a Comet Models Spad VII
Reply #58 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Thanks, friends.  Smiley  It's fun to retrace one's steps in this hobby...go back to a model from long ago.  Just as well that I can't see my first effort at building Comet's SPAD...because it certainly would look nothing like this time around.  That's part of the fun...doing it better.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Nice job Neal.  Smiley

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #56 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 10:06am
Print Post  
That's great Neal!!!  Well done! Smiley

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #55 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 9:22am
Print Post  
We've been "published!"  Wink Cheesy Grin  Photos of this SPAD have been posted on Outerzone...thank you, Outerzone!

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=490

Neal

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #54 - Feb 2nd, 2020 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Some truly beautiful and dedicated work on that replica.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #53 - Feb 1st, 2020 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Final pictures..."engine run-up" and "the real deal."

A word about revolving-prop photos...my experiences:  Cannot use flash as that is sync'd with shutter speed...i.e., will create a stop-motion shot.  Need to use natural (non-flash) light with flash "forced off."  All my shots are hand-held because I'm lazy...a tripod, timer or shutter-release would be in order.  Need a light source on the turning prop...in this case it's natural light from a window.  This is not a time-delay shot...merely the slowest shutter speed that I could find a setting for (digital camera).  All that being said, it then amounts to a whole bunch of shots that you can "proof" from...get one that is acceptable.

Oh...need to chock the wheels or in some other way, hold the model in place....  Motor winds are between 15 and 20 turns.  If you have a camera that uses half-set release for focus...then you obviously need to do that first before releasing the prop.  Like I said before...a tripod and/or an assistant is helpful...one or both.  Give it a try. Even partial success is fun. Smiley

Thanks for lookin' in.

Neal
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2020 at 10:51am by Kerak »  

( 191 KB | 97 Downloads )
Hispano-Suiza_Runup.jpg
( 200 KB | 99 Downloads )
Full-sized_Replica.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #52 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mike!  I consider that a compliment from a true master modeler.  Smiley

Well...it's a dimer.  Didn't want to add too much detail...trying to make it into something that it isn't...but some things give it a nice simple touch.  I've always been attracted to those WWI struts...varnished...beautiful finish.  How to accomplish that look?

Struts are 1/16"x1/8" balsa...sanded to a streamlined cross-section.  36" length was then stained with maple...oil-based...to give it that orange look.  Now to your question...coated with gloss polyurethane clear.  It's a similar finish to that used on my DH6.

Another detail note...exhaust headers and pipes were cut from 1/8" sheet balsa...sanded to shape (carefully) and then saturated with ca.  Finish...was painted with copper enamel...then coated with very thin black water-based paint.  Final weathered finish was fixed with clear matte Krylon.

Like I said...it's a dimer...supposed to look like an oldie...like its builder  Wink

Thanks Mike...love your models! Smiley

Neal

( 91 KB | 87 Downloads )
DH6.jpg

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #51 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Beautiful Neal.  What did you use to finish the struts - same lacquer as the tissue?

Mike

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #50 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Ok...had all I can stand of this project...nothin' fancy...everything DOMESTIC...Comet Kit A25 SPAD...16"ws...DIMER...23.8g.

Neal

( 57 KB | 91 Downloads )
P1190219.jpg
( 61 KB | 87 Downloads )
P1190220.jpg
( 67 KB | 80 Downloads )
P1190221.jpg
( 61 KB | 92 Downloads )
P1190223.jpg
( 60 KB | 92 Downloads )
P1190226.jpg
( 61 KB | 73 Downloads )
P1190228.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #49 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Paul...you need to set your sights a tad higher than my poor abilities, however.  My goal has always been to make-do with what I had on hand...that silk purse from a sows ear concept.

Sometimes...it works out...other times, not so well.  I'm reminded of the would-be artist who assembles all the finest brushes and paints, etc...only to find that successful application is less than easy.  Hmmm...guess it wasn't in the materials after all.  Some folk in this hobby think they've got to have "the best," "which just ain't so."

Is it like that performer who achieves success with a no-name guitar...then has to flash his Gibson up on stage...just to show he's arrived?

Hey, anyone can do this hobby...don't need anything fancy. Smiley

Thanks, Paul.

Neal

IP Logged

shipwreck
4 Star Member

Navy Vet

Reply #48 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 9:58am
Print Post  
I hope when i grow up I can build like you Neal Smiley
Beautiful air craft.
Paul

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #47 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Thanks, Mike!  I'm very pleased with the brushing lacquer results...been considering its use for some time.  It's a matter of availability...with no local supplier at hand for butyrate dope.  As previously stated, I've diluted it to a 50-50 mix with thinner...goes on easily...good coverage...and cures quickly to the touch.  Achieves the goal of moisture protection...and "stiffens" the tissue as well.  All that I've read suggests there may be long-term issues...specifically with becoming brittle over time.  Only "time" will tell on that aspect.  Wink  Otherwise, I'm in business and my source is a mile down the road!  Hotdog!

Recall that the biggest concern for using dope in modeling originally...was for fuel-proofing against the ravages of glo-fuel.  Seriously, my personal experience was...there really wasn't a protection against glo-fuel!  Back in the day, I think that I tried everything available to achieve that goal...epoxy paints, etc.  It was all very futile and frustrating.  Fortunately...fuel-proofing is no longer an issue.  It's now all about protecting from moisture, skin oils, tautening...etc.  The field is now wide open!  Smiley

SPAD suffered a minor disaster last night...I dropped it and attempted to intercept it...NOT GOOD.  Destroyed all the cabane struts.  However, after the proscribed "Our Fathers" and "Hail Mary's," (cursing and epithets)...cabanes were replaced and upper wing reinstalled.  All is well again.

Neal

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #46 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I knew it wouldn't be long at all before we saw another really nice build emerge from the Kerak Air Works. Looking at the details I believe the brushing lacquer is better than any dope of the past, my opinion only.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #45 - Jan 29th, 2020 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
"Good afternoon, Sport Fans!  Here we are for the big game...Connerly and Gifford versus Unitas and Moore...."  That's just about how long ago it was that I last constructed this Comet Model SPAD.  Actually, it was a challenge to a friend...I would build the Comet SPAD and he would construct the new Guillows kit of the same aircraft.  Riding the bus home from town...just as soon as we opened the kit boxes...I was so envious of that Guillows!  Nevertheless, I persevered...he didn't!  He wouldn't even let me complete his kit!  He tossed it in the trash can!  I've never forgotten that!  Angry

So, here I am, many years later...resurrecting the past...figuratively and literally.  Got a "parasol SPAD" on my hands, as you can see (was no such animal).  Actually, the SPAD's airfoil was quite thin in reality, to which it owed much for its marvelous airspeed...that and a BIG engine.  Wings required a lot of bracing...a lot, more than the standard single-bay "pursuit" aircraft of the time.

Inverted photo shows cabane struts penetrating the lower side/upper wing center section...not a design feature of original kit.  The slots allow wing to be fitted and adjusted...squared up with the empennage...whatever incidence desired...etc...before fixing in place with ca.  As previously stated, lower wing panels and struts will then be installed to match the upper wing...or so I hope.  Wink

Oh...three (4?) knotted newspaper rubber bands (1/8" beige) for a motor...in keeping with the original Comet design.  Wink Grin  I do recall there was no propeller in the box...nor was there a rubber motor...and those wheels were definitely not scale (ugly hardwood)...nothing like that Guillows kit! Cry

Neal

( 30 KB | 80 Downloads )
P1190210.jpg
( 37 KB | 81 Downloads )
P1190213.jpg
( 36 KB | 118 Downloads )
P1190214.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #44 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Thanks, Bob and Mike...haven't really opted out of the skis...wheels are currently unattached and it wouldn't take much to create the skis...just an interesting and different idea.  Note the photo of the Morane S. N on skis...can see the "bungee" chord on the front...and slack wire aft for the skis...keep the tips up for landing...but restrict that same upward trend in the slipstream...don't want the skis moving into the propeller arc...NOT GOOD.

Got the cabane struts in place on the SPAD...allowed for trial fitting the upper wing.  Idea is to cover the outer panels as well as the bottom center panel...then make incidence adjustments and ca inside the center panel...cover the top-center last.  Bottom wings are adjusted to match the top...I hope.

Cabanes are 1/8"x1/16" streamlined...maple oil-based stain...then coated with ca.

Original plan call for 1/16" sq leading and trailing edges...went with 1/8"x1/16" to allow for scallops to be sanded in.

Also note a "hint" of dihedral in the wing. 

So much effort for a dimer!  Wink

Neal

( 29 KB | 81 Downloads )
monocoq.jpg
( 59 KB | 118 Downloads )
P1190206.jpg
( 53 KB | 89 Downloads )
P1190207.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint