Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Drilling Perpendicular (Read 349 times)
alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Re: Drilling Perpendicular
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2020 at 9:14am
Print Post  
New Builder wrote on Jan 9th, 2020 at 6:56am:
Quote:
Santa brought me a Dremel Workstation for exactly this

AK - I posted a note in the Cafe about this topic. Looking forward to your work with this tool and some feedback about durability, etc.
Mike

I've only used the Dremel Workstation a couple of times but so far, so good. I was concerned that the Dremel rotary tool wasn't secured well but that seems not to be an issue. I'm using a model 395 with it. There is very little run-out. Biggest thing is getting the object to be drilled mounted on the Workstation platform. I have the additional vise to hold things but that isn't well suited for drilling prop hubs.

I expect to get better with practice. Overall, I'm happy with the Workstation.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
Santa brought me a Dremel Workstation for exactly this

AK - I posted a note in the Cafe about this topic. Looking forward to your work with this tool and some feedback about durability, etc.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Mike - I was hoping you would come back with a tip. This will work perfectly and thank you for the reply. Another one of those "why didn't I think of that."
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
I forget where I saw this tip, but here's one way:
- Cut a small rectangular wooden block (a short section of 1x2 would be perfect). Clamp a fence on your drill press such that you can drill a hole into the body of the block.
- Mark the face of the block that rests against the fence.
- Drill a hole matching the outside diameter of your tubing and insert an oversize length of tubing in the hole.
- Swap drill bits to the size necessary for the hole you intend to put in the tubing.
- Place the block (with tubing inserted) on the drill press with the same face against the fence, but rotated 90 degrees so the bit will drill down intersecting the embedded tubing.
- Drill hole through block and tubing.
- Remove tubing from block and trim ends to desired length.

Hope this helps,

Mike

IP Logged

alfakilo
Global Moderator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2020 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Santa brought me a Dremel Workstation for exactly this. Haven't tried it out yet.

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Drilling Perpendicular
Jan 8th, 2020 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Starting the propeller for the Fang and need to drill a hole centered on the long axis of an aluminum tube. Any tips or tutorials?
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint