Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Wanna Play II: Formula One racing biplane 25 inch (Read 1873 times)
Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Re: Wanna Play II: Formula One racing biplane 25 inch
Reply #12 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I think we all have that loss of mojo from time to time.  Remember this hobby is to be fun...when it stops being fun it's time to take a break and renew ourselves!!! 

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #11 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Wow - life has gotten busy for me, so I haven't made much progress.  It does seem like I've spent an inappropriate amount of time contemplating how to proceed.  I feel like I'm temporarily losing my 'mojo' for this build.

So..... here is the last picture before I carefully wrap it up and put it away to be completed later.  I really HATE not finishing a build and rarely put a build away unfinished - they seem to rarely get started again   Cry  My 1/4 scale Gee Bee R1 and Super Sportster 90 are examples that are still in my garage from many years ago.

I'll look now to build something smaller and easier to help get back in the building groove - I do find it very satisfying and therapeutic.

Brad

( 85 KB | 62 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_031.jpg

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -  Philip K. Dick
GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple shots of my progress.  It's been slow.  I'm sort of using the solid side method like Konrad noticed, but I used light 1/16 wood that does not give much strength.  So I'm remembering back to my old RC days and applying some of those building techniques.

I finally figured out my front motor mount/box idea and have it installed.  With the bracing, it really firmed up the nose section nicely.  I will definitely have some additional shaping to bring all my formers and curves into alignment.  I think I will be sheeting the fuselage from rear cockpit forward - sort of a semi-monocoque type construction.  I have to make sure I figure out my center upper wing pylon before sheeting

( 69 KB | 49 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_028.jpg
( 68 KB | 72 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_029.jpg
( 86 KB | 62 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_030.jpg

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away"  -  Philip K. Dick
GTalk  
IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2020 at 10:41am
Print Post  
You're making great progress!  This looks to be a screamer!  Keep up the great work!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Here is the fuselage after the weekends work.  There are lot's of things to figure out as I build.  The original plans are for a 6 foot span model which are scaled down to a 26 inch span model.  Many of the build techniques and materials specifications don't apply for the smaller size model.

( 107 KB | 67 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_025.jpg
( 92 KB | 65 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_026.jpg
( 97 KB | 68 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_027.jpg

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2020 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Here are a couple shots of the wings.

And here are a couple of shots of my radio gear I will be using after removing them from other planes.  I'm going to go with the standard rotary servos - I'm just not comfortable with the micro servos for this size plane. 

For motor I'm thinking of using a Firepower 300 w the Talon 25 ESC.  The 250's I have seem so small, the FP300 even looks small (see photo of it on the plans), but I'm more used to the physical size of gas motors.

( 90 KB | 57 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_019.jpg
( 120 KB | 52 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_020.jpg
( 117 KB | 63 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_021.jpg
( 127 KB | 56 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_023.jpg
( 107 KB | 65 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_024.jpg

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Top wing framed up  Smiley

( 106 KB | 64 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_016.jpg
( 106 KB | 65 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_017.jpg

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Bottom wing progress   Smiley  I have the ailerons cut and fitted.  I still need to bevel the front edge.  I've done an initial LE shaping and got things fairly smooth.  I do need to sand down the TE stock I'm using for the ailerons.

I pulled out a micro rotary servo last night and started to look at placement and mounting to utilize flexible pushrods.  I'm stumped!!  I need to have access to the server for replacement/adjustment etc. I would need a 'chin hatch' and that would only give limited access.  I'm thinking of trying two micro linear servos in the wings.  I think 2 rotary servos would be too heavy (one for each aileron). 

Tonight I'll work on prepping the ribs for the top wing as well as notching the LE and TE at rib locations.

What are everyone's thoughts on having the top wing/struts removable? vs fixed?

Brad

( 105 KB | 58 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_012.jpg
( 88 KB | 54 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_013.jpg
( 98 KB | 50 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_014.jpg
( 100 KB | 79 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_015.jpg

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I have the lower wing almost built, at least the basic frame.  I was held up a bit on the fully symmetrical airfoil and how to build it.  I ended up finding an airfoil that was the correct size on an old set of plans for a "fan Trainer" I had built.  It's much easier to work with and I think will fly a bit easier as well.  I forgot that biplanes have twice the ribs!! ha.  The bottom wing I'm beefing up with sheer webbing out to the landing gear mounts/ailerons.  I'll build the top wing lighter.

Brad

( 79 KB | 62 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_005.jpg
( 74 KB | 54 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_006.jpg
( 97 KB | 70 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_007.jpg
( 102 KB | 48 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_008.jpg
( 96 KB | 44 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_009.jpg
( 108 KB | 55 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_011.jpg

GTalk  
IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I've decided to go with the 25 inch span plans.  The extra size will make everything easier.  I'll save my 16.5 plans for the future and build the Full Tilt Boogie version for free flight.

GTalk  
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Re: Wanna Play II: Formula One racing biplane
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 7:53am
Print Post  
Another fascinating subject - this will be fun to watch come together.  For display you've got to model the tongue...

Mike

IP Logged

New Builder
5 Star Member

Re: Wanna Play II: Formula One racing biplane
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 7:01am
Print Post  
This is a great looking plane and I have no doubt you will find a way to get this linkage worked out.
Mike

"Skill comes by the constant repetition of familiar feats rather than by a few overbold attempts for which the performer is yet poorly prepared." Wilbur Wright

IP Logged

Brad Grove
5 Star Member

Wanna Play II: Formula One racing biplane 25 inch
Jan 8th, 2020 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
By posting this I'm committing to this build!!  I've been undecided and thinking I might do something easier..... but no.  I'm all in.

This is the Wanna Play II.  A highly modified Mong biplane flown by Tom Aberle which is the last 'rebuild' prior to selling the place to Patty Johnson who flew it as "Full Tilt Boogie".

I purchased plans for Full Tilt Boogie from Wendell Hosteller plans:  both the 35% scale , 61.5 inch span and a smaller 25 inch span which is about 15% scale.  I've scaled in down further to about a 16.5 inch span (which fits on 11x17 paper  Smiley).

I plan on using my micro RC gear using 4 channels:  elevator, rudder, ailerons and throttle.  I might skip the rudder control.

I'm still contemplating switching over to the 25 inch plans I have - I'm already experiencing issues with RC and my 16.5 version being small.  I've only built the stabilizer and I'm hitting issues with the short T-tail rudder and flexible pushrod up to the elevator.

Brad
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2020 at 10:19am by Brad Grove »  

( 77 KB | 73 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_001.jpg
( 63 KB | 58 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_002.jpg
( 93 KB | 46 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_003.jpg
( 80 KB | 45 Downloads )
WannaPlay_II_004.jpg

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint