Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Peashooter for my boy...Boeing P-26 (Read 9188 times)
Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Re: A Peashooter for my boy...Boeing P-26
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tom...good words you speak...anyone who wants to compete in organized contests needs to be aware of the rules that apply.  We've all heard tales of modelers who were unhappily denied participation because of rule non-compliance.

Ever wander through the graphic arts exhibit at the local State Fair...and wondered to yourself how this or that piece of art won a ribbon?  I once dabbled a bit in watercolor art...had various friends invite me to join the State Watercolor Artist Association.  After attending a few exhibits I came to realize how much the artwork was fashioned according to "rules compliance."  That wasn't for me.  I'm certain it works well for others.  Smiley

Neal

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Neal,
I'm with you...I don't compete and I was thinking of going with the "Koutny stringers" setup (1/32"X1/16") that you sand tapered towards the tail and 1/8" apart.  Just gives those round fuselages the rounder look, plus you don't have to cut notches in the formers! I just wanted any fellows that just join in to realize that those who compete have to adhere to the contest rules.  So guys build for what your building for, have fun, and toss a few in the air if they aren't going to be hanger queens!!!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the words of clarification, Tom.  If I'm ever headed toward an FAC gathering with the intention of participating...I'll certainly keep your words in mind...their club...their rules.

Here we are now with the proscribed number of fuselage stringers installed.  My inclination is to do a bit more filling-in to make the curves curve and the lines flow...just a tiny bit more.  Wink Grin  Also use 1/32" sheet instead of "plan paper cutouts" for the cockpit combing, etc.  Gonna make some 3d wheel pants as well...and a detailed radial engine.  Want it to look good for my boy...which is where this model is going.  Wink

In the end...is still a "dimer" to me...that's where it came from.

Neal

( 82 KB | 86 Downloads )
5_boeing_p-26a_fuselage_stringers.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Neal,
I think that curvature was handled by scrap balsa.  I've covered the fuselage box with stretch wrap and wetted the root rib and clipped it to the fuselage to dry to get them ribs to conform to the fuselage.  Also the rib was canted top edge out to achieve the dihedral.  Lots of tinkering to get the simple shapes to do what you want!!! Grin Cheesy Wink

Just a note of clarification when it comes to Dime Scale/Pseudo-Dime Scale. They were to be the minimal construction kits.  So if you modify them too much you risk not qualifying for the FAC and other contests if you ever consider using one for a contest.  Just so you know!

IP Logged

93rdLiberator
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Neal...
Just re-read your post.  POST MORE!  Cheesy

Nothing wrong with giving us sloths something to shoot for...
Dan

IP Logged

93rdLiberator
3 Star Member

I Love YaBB 2.5 AE!

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Love how you are rounding out the fuse.  Gives me hope with my Monocoupe!

Dan  Smiley

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 11:15am
Print Post  
Is this too much build detail...too many postings?  Some of you rarely post...some never...and I seem to post too much.

Wing attachment consists of two 1/8" soft balsa base plates...just so happened that 1/8" took things directly to the side fuselage box upright and to the very outside of stations 3 and 4...perfect.  There isn't much of a fillet on the full-sized aircraft, so a little sanding here and there will go a long way in that regard.

I suppose Comet's original idea was to cant the wing panel base rib dramatically to initiate dihedral...but that wouldn't account for the longitudinal curvature of the fuselage side.  Like I said, DRAMATICALLY.  Maybe tissue work was to satisfy that issue?

Neal

( 202 KB | 89 Downloads )
4_boeing_p-26a_fuselage_wing_attachment_baseplate.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2020 at 9:19am
Print Post  
"Stuck" the fuselage formers on last night...beginning to take on a little shape.  I've got the Sterling Models Peashooter in-the-box to compare Comet's plan to...and things certainly aren't scale...but it'll do.  If one realizes that the P-26 was delivered to the Army in 1933-34...Comet's model was offered for retail sales in 1935...it's once again a matter of the model designer working off a newspaper or magazine photo.  Not a bad job for eye-balling work!

Now I've got to consider a wing-attachment system...something the Comet folk didn't address in an "exact manner."  Actually, that's pretty standard for model designs of the era.  "No problemo."

I've read that, Alf...Army and Navy used flashy paint schemes on their aircraft for public relations purposes.  Pretty smart...and we're the beneficiaries of it now.  Wink Smiley

I might add that I'm pretty much limited to finishing this model with a "blue" fuselage, since my son, in describing his toy airplane from years ago, made a point of declaring that it had "yellow wings and a blue body."  I mean...what can I do...I'm building this for him...or...am I building it for me?  I'm building it for US.  Wink Cheesy Grin Smiley

Neal

( 181 KB | 79 Downloads )
3_boeing_p-26a_fuselage_bulkheads.jpg
( 247 KB | 73 Downloads )
3_National_Air_and_Space_Museum.jpg
( 133 KB | 75 Downloads )
3_Blue.jpg

IP Logged

bigrip74
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Great memories Tom, Ill follow when your ready to build that P-26.

Bob

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
The fuselage looks great so far.  Well done.  I'm with AK the box structure is always a challange to get it straight.  I too often have a bit of a banana! Embarrassed Cry

IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Kerak wrote on Feb 7th, 2020 at 12:50pm:
Got the fuselage box completed...isn't that the most labor-intensive step? Neal

It's certainly the most demanding, at least for me! Just the thought of doing the Spartan Bomber fuselage is enough to give me the vapors!

The P-26 and P-6E had to be the most visually stunning military planes of the 30s! In those days, the Air Corps didn't get much funding from Congress and so, paint being relatively cheap, the idea was to whip up citizen enthusiasm in hopes of getting more bucks!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2020 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Got the fuselage box completed...isn't that the most labor-intensive step?  Wink  Very delicate work...all 1/16" strip wood...1.1g.  Added some diagonals here and there to help things keep their shape...as well as moving the motor peg location forward from that of the original design.

Now...as long as I don't sneeze...fumble the assembly...then attempt to catch it in mid-flight...we'll proceed.  Smiley

Neal

( 138 KB | 97 Downloads )
2_1936_Comet_Catalog.jpg
( 189 KB | 104 Downloads )
2_boeing_p-26a_fuselage_box.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Neal,
That gives me hope!!!(my son's 33) Enjoy the build.  The Peashooter is on my to do list also.  Lots of schemes for that bird!!!

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

A Peashooter for my boy...Boeing P-26
Feb 6th, 2020 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Some years ago during a family gathering, I was sitting out on the deck talking with my "middle" son while holding a model Fokker DVII.  Suddenly my son's talking about the Fokker I was holding!  I thought...wow!, he's finally discovered aviation history!  I asked, "How do you know this is a Fokker DVII?"  His response deflated me in an instant, "Dad, it's on the side of the model...."  What a let-down.  Cry

Same son sent me an email with a photo attachment the other day...a Boeing P-26 Peashooter.

" This is my favorite plane. I’m not sure why. I had a toy of it you gave me when I was very young.

I’d like to either help or watch you make one. If you’re willing.

Bry "

All is not lost, after all, although I will explain to him the differences between a "plane" and an "airplane!"  Cheesy Grin  And so...by special request...for my boy (he's 43 years old now)...a Comet Models 1935 Boeing P-26A Peashooter.  I don't normally build models simultaneously (also constructing a Fairchild 22 in another category...folder), but can't pass this opportunity by.  Wink Smiley

Neal

( 201 KB | 96 Downloads )
Sons_No_2_and_3.jpg
( 253 KB | 108 Downloads )
boeing_p-26a_16in.jpg
( 101 KB | 105 Downloads )
Fokker_DVII_P1150925.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint