Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scalpel blades in Exacto #1 handle. (Read 402 times)
faif2d

Stick & Tissue

Re: Scalpel blades in Exacto #1 handle.
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
I have found excel blades much sharper than xacto.  They fit in the same handles.

IP Logged

bigrip74
Administrator

What did l do this time!

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I am almost like Ian. I have (3) cutters.

Xacto for cutting out parts and carving a little.

Double edge razor blade for trimming tissue and the old ones for cutting balsa strips.

Razor saw for the stuff that the other tools will not cut.

Bob

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!
IP Logged

alfakilo
Administrator

Retired USAF and TWA.

Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2020 at 7:31am
Print Post  
I have three kinds of cutting tools...scalpels, Xactos, and choppers.

I like scalpels for model work. I get mine from Amazon where boxes of 100 go for about $10 -$15 and free shipping, quick delivery. I use two types, the #11 pointed blade for cutting parts out of sheet balsa and the #10 rounded blade for trimming tissue joints. Some come with metal handles which I have found to work just fine.

Some blades are more expensive but for model work may be overkill.

The blades are not as sturdy as Xacto blades and so I keep my #11 Xacto for when I need to cut something hard such as plywood.

Finally, I make choppers out of popsickle sticks and shaving razor blades. I use contact cement to glue the piece of blade to the stick. Works good for cutting stringers and former notches, seems better at not crushing the wood as sometimes happens when cutting with a Xacto or scalpel.

IP Logged

Jeffrey Dick

Scalpel blades in Exacto #1 handle.
Feb 22nd, 2020 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Scalpel blades; My basic cutting tool of choice.
I use #11 scalpel blades for hand cutting, not quite as thin as a double edge razor, but much thinner than exacto and extremely sharp (don’t ask). A box of 100 is about $40 or 40¢ a blade, and I doubt I’ll go through the whole box. (Age related). The edge of a scalpel is like a razor, with the finest pitch of micro teeth and goes through medium to soft balsa like a knife through butter. I snap off the the piece at the upper end, and chuck it in a standard exacto handle. Before tightening, I gently press the edge of the blade on a cutting mat or scrap card, this puts the tip of the blade above the centre of the handle, which helps keep the blade straight when cutting thin materials, like tissue or decal paper. I have all manner of fancy cutting tools, and saws, and the scalpel blade is my comfort zone. (I do Scale plastic also). They are more brittle, but after some use, you will find that the pressure required is less than standard blades and the tip stays sharp much longer than standard blades. I can post pics if anyone is interested how I set them up.

“When using Aromatic Cement and Dope, remember to close the doors and windows for Maximum effect” Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint