Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Howard Littman Model Aircraft Dewoitine D.520 (Read 1503 times)
Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Re: Howard Littman Model Aircraft Dewoitine D.520
Reply #25 - Sep 16th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Just signed up.

Thanks!

Gary

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #24 - Sep 15th, 2020 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Here's a link to Howard's site to order any of these models and see what he's up to:  hjlmodels

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I'll take 'em "to go" with extra sauce please.....  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #22 - Sep 14th, 2020 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
The only kits I will  have ready this year will be the Dewoitine and the P-6E.  The Macchi and Heinkel will have to wait until next year. 

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #21 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Howard,

If your kits are ready by Christmas, please put me down for three out of four kits.  The Heinkel, as beautiful as it is, I just can't build it for personal reasons...

Overall, I'm truly impressed with your progress and really looking forward to seeing them come into fruition.  At least you've got a customer waiting in the wings.

I'd also like to hear what your plans are for future kits or if you're in mind for suggestions. 

Send me a quick email if you've got any questions/comments.

Gary

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #20 - Sep 13th, 2020 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
The Dewoitine D.520 is still in process despite more unanticipated delays.  I got the second prototype ready  for some finishing and sprayed a coat of white floral spray on it as a primer.  Primer is meant to show all flaws before final finishing and did it ever!  The dictum that, "If a model is left unfinished on the bench for any length of time it will accumulate damage." was proven once more.  There were several tears an holes in the tissue that were not readily apparent before the primer was applied.  Even though it is meant to be a quick and rough prototype I still have to patch the holes and finish it.  Some of the things that were obvious before the frame was even covered have already been fixed on the drawings.  For example the rear windows on this one are masked off on a single sheet of acetate whereas on the production model they will be acetate glued on laser cut, sheet balsa, infill outlines, some stringers have been relocated, there will be sheet balsa bases for the exhaust stacks and carburetor scoops and, after a quick check of the balance, the rear peg has been moved farther forward (yet again).  The saga continues...

( 205 KB | 18 Downloads )
Paint_Day_1.jpg
( 173 KB | 15 Downloads )
Paint_Day_2.jpg
( 52 KB | 15 Downloads )
Paint_Day_3.jpg
( 128 KB | 16 Downloads )
Paint_Day_4.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #19 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Intermediate version in picture.  Had some unanticipated delays in June but the kits are coming!

( 198 KB | 47 Downloads )
D.jpg

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #18 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Huey v77 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:20am:
That was “909”. Unfortunately it no longer exists.

Ouch!  Cry

IP Logged

Huey v77
4 Star Member

I hate P51's, live east
of Cleveland Ohio.

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2020 at 3:20am
Print Post  
That was “909”. Unfortunately it no longer exists.

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #16 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Kerak wrote on Jul 22nd, 2020 at 7:49am:
...Personally...I really appreciated a formed plastic canopy...always did, always will.  Grin Grin Grin

As for the wane of our hobby...I was once inspecting a construction job when an SR-71 Blackbird flew over the site on approach to Hill AFB.  I exclaimed, "Look at that!"  The various workers hardly paused to notice before going back to troweling concrete...like no big deal.  I was born into an era when airplanes were always "a big deal," but I don't think that's the case with the generations that followed.  It's all "oh-hum" nowadays....

Neal

The canopies in my kits will be formed.  That's expected.  And, looking ahead, I certainly don't expect anyone to carve a radial engine, those will be plastic.

As for it being all "oh hum" now, I remember when most boys would know what plane was about to fly over by the sound of the engines.  A couple of years ago I was walking in my neighborhood when my ears picked up the sound of four round engines.  A few moments later the aircraft in the picture below flew over.  Only two people looked up, my neighbor who was photographing birds and happened to have a camera (and got the picture) and myself. Sad

KF

( 89 KB | 46 Downloads )
29331.jpg

IP Logged

Kerak
5 Star Member

Build! Fly! Enjoy!

Reply #15 - Jul 22nd, 2020 at 7:49am
Print Post  
A lot of sage words there, Gary...and I agree with all you've said...and more.  Wink  Ones personal attitude towards a kit, its complexity or simplicity, is also determined by where the modeler is at...age and skill.  Having begun with the all-wood era, then encountering Guillows...and finally going away from the plastic components...that's experience and skill.  So like Howard has taught us...who's the kit designed for...that's important.  The modeler is a different person at different times in their hobby...not always the same...not constant.  Might even consider inclusion of both wood and plastic components as an option...added expense as well.

Personally...I really appreciated a formed plastic canopy...always did, always will.  Grin Grin Grin

As for the wane of our hobby...I was once inspecting a construction job when an SR-71 Blackbird flew over the site on approach to Hill AFB.  I exclaimed, "Look at that!"  The various workers hardly paused to notice before going back to troweling concrete...like no big deal.  I was born into an era when airplanes were always "a big deal," but I don't think that's the case with the generations that followed.  It's all "oh-hum" nowadays....

Neal

IP Logged

Skyediamonds
Global Moderator

Enjoying life and all
aspects of modeling

Reply #14 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Howard, this is fantastic!  I see a bright shining light in your future!

So sorry to bust bubbles here but on this one itsy bitsy topic of cowls/canopies and others, I'd rather have a preformed vacuumed plastic nose/canopy/landing gear struts (P-38?), or covers (read that, PT-17)/wheels/anything.  Over the years, I've had my share of carving, filling and sanding and then refilling to final shape and it's a drag.  Never had fun or good experiences. 

I realize that the carving/sanding methods has its own advantages of ensuring a true profile or fit to the airframe (especially for the purist), but in the long run, it can be discouraging to those who might've been a bit spoiled by Guillow's and other manufacturers with their preformed plastics, or worst, for those who wish to try stick-built models for the first time. 

For the neophytes, facing a stack of wood and turning it into a beautifully formed cowl can be a daunting task. Despite the series of "sliced pre-shaped or precut formers" stacked together taking the guesswork and most of the carving out, it can still mean taking a template or two and constantly comparing it to the wood being carved. out.  An over-cut here, extra sanding there, followed by more filling and sanding can turn  into what is perceived as more unnecessary work or correction or any number of possibilities that can easily frustrate the beginning modeler. 

Now it could be argued that "they should've known what they were getting into" when buying a stick-built kit as opposed to a plastic one and go from there.  However, I've had personal experiences where I was approached by Guillow's to ".... help out some of their customers."  So it can easily be said we'll always have those people who will buy something that's over their heads. 

I'm sure that's a major part of the reason why Guillow's and any number of other kit manufacturers have resorted to using vacuum-formed plastics. 

I realize. this may entail extra work for you, Howard, certainly the added expense, but this may also reflect a marketing compromise between RTFs, foamies and stick-built.  There's an element of risk that people may be turned off by what they perceive as extra work that harkens back to the old Comet days.  Not everyone has the skillset -or more importantly in this day and age of immediate gratification-  the patience.  That may also explain, in part, why the (wooden) modeling field is considered a dying art. 

Just this week, it was posted that a major modeling event, Weak Signals of Toledo, Ohio modeling show for the past 65 years is closing its doors for good.  Over the past few years the marketing forces were slowly pulling it down anyway as I've read several modelers saying "it wasn't like it used to be...." and on and on.  But the Coronavirus only accelerated the inevitable.

We could argue that Outerzone, Cleveland Models Plans and others are in the same field of asking the modelers to "roll their own." so to speak.  But they're only plans not kits.

I'm speaking purely from my heart the truth as I see it,  and from my own experiences.  This is just my own opinion.  Please keep in mind, this is only a small fraction of the kits themselves and shouldn't interfere with your overall plans.  What I see, you're offering is a niche market for those who wish to aspire to build something unique.  I'd say "Go for it!"

Solution?  Try the marketing forces.  Try offering "standard kits" without the vacuum forms and the "deluxe kits" with them and see where the market goes.  Can you PM me?

Gary

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2020 at 11:44pm by Skyediamonds »  

IP Logged

Kittyfritters
5 Star Member

Stick & Tissue

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
MKelly wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 4:16pm:
I like built-up noseblocks in that style Howard.  The layers become an ideal contour gauge to guide sanding, and if desired one can trim excess out inside each layer before glue-up.  I'd much rather carve, sand and finish a balsa cowl than deal with large vacuformed parts.

Mike

Sorry, should have posted a picture of the back side.  The hole for the nose button in the first picture is not the final version.  The P-6E has a similar nose block with peg alignment.  The kits will come with Gizmo Geezer adjustable thrust buttons.

KF

( 111 KB | 26 Downloads )
Back_Side.jpg

IP Logged

Sky9pilot
Administrator

Stick & Tissue

Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
MKelly wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 4:16pm:
I like built-up noseblocks in that style Howard.  The layers become an ideal contour gauge to guide sanding, and if desired one can trim excess out inside each layer before glue-up.  I'd much rather carve, sand and finish a balsa cowl than deal with large vacuformed parts.  Mike

I agree completely with Mike.  This is a much better solution than a vacuformed cowling/noseblock that would have to be reinforced on the inside.  Looks great!

If God is your Co-pilot...switch seats...
Your attitude will determine your altitude!- John Maxwell
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free. Jn 8:32
IP Logged

MKelly
5 Star Member

Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I like built-up noseblocks in that style Howard.  The layers become an ideal contour gauge to guide sanding, and if desired one can trim excess out inside each layer before glue-up.  I'd much rather carve, sand and finish a balsa cowl than deal with large vacuformed parts.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint